2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 102010

Monte Carlo

A yr. Aft. I bought my 2005 Monte Carlo, things began going wrong with it. First 2 things to go:the cruise control & re-window defroster. The next yr, while driving at night on the interstate, I switched my lights to brights & within seconds I had no lights at all! this could of caused a very bad accident, I was able to quickly switch the lights back to dim & luckily they came back on. Since then, I no longer use the bright lights, for fear of my lights not coming back on. Then it seemed like everything went haywire after that, odometer showed that I was going 110, gas gauge quit & temp gauge registered past 260. Not a fun night to be driving, not knowing my correct speed, how much gas I had, if my car was going to overheat or have no lights! since 6/15/2012 the tach now registers between 6000-7000 rpms & none of the gauges are working properly. My car also smells like it has an exhaust or fuel leak which comes thru the vents, it makes me sick & gives me headaches. I took it to a dealer a yr. Ago, paid $98 for them to tell me they couldn't find a problem. To this day, my car still smells like gasoline, I pray it doesn't catch on fire. Tonight I've been researching these problems & found that the faulty gauges is a very common problem with these cars & quite expensive to fix. I feel Chevy should be held responsible for repairing this problem & all the others, after all they're the ones who built a car with many serious problems. This is very unfair for the many consumers out there who have spent their hard earned money to buy this car. Not everyone can afford to get this fixed along with paying the car payment. I don't understand why they can't be made to take care of this. What would have to happen in order to make them pay" what's listed above? a crash, fire, injury or death" shouldn't have to be that way, something needs to be done before any of that happens!

- Greeley, CO, USA

May 222012

Monte Carlo

All of my gauges stopped working correctly. This problem first started several months ago with my temperature gauge and battery gauges. Now my speedometer is fluctuating irratically and getting stuck. After review of other blogs and posts this is definately a manufacture defect and should be fixed by the GM.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Oct 012011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the instrumental panel failed and the contact was unable to read the speedometer, fuel gauge or the tachometer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle and located the failure at the instrument cluster. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage was 78,000. Updated 03/28/12 updated 03/30/12

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 152010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Heater blower motor fire's on 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo ls, replaced twice !!! fire both times. The first time was probably around 18,000 miles or so. Then the second time was around 27,000 miles or so. (I would have to find my reciepts to verify exactly). But, both times the car's blower motor was on fire !!! alot of smoke, thick electrical burning smell. A man came over to help me (as I am handicapped by polio, and could not get out of my car myself), after it had been burning for about 1/2 hour, the man poured water into the firewall area that was burning, it still took about another half hour to try to stop the fire. But only the fan motor and close vacinity burned. But it could have been worse if that man had not come along and poured bottle water on it repeatedly for many, many tries before extinguishing the fire. My car was repaired at where I purchased the Monte Carlo new.". right now (6-20-11) I have only 28,000 miles on this 2005 Monte Carlo. I have also, just had to replace the wiper motor., a few weeks ago. !!! these should be recalled and GM should have to make these repairs or refund the money that people like me have already shelled out for these very costly repairs !!! now...I also have problems with my speedometer not working right. And gas gauge, "the entire cluster is bad, at an approximate cost of around $600 (six hundred dollars). This also should be recalled for safety. My speedometer might show 90 mph when I know I am going maybe 40. Or it might show 20, when I'm on the highway doing about 70 !!! sometimes the speedometer goes all the way around - past 120mph. Yesterday, when I stopped my car in the driveway, it showed I was still going 60 mph while sitting still in my driveway. Help please, make GM recall and re-imburse people for these repairs !!! information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6) *

- Wyandotte, , MI, USA

May 022011

Monte Carlo

The instrument cluster of my vehicle needs replacing. The speedometer does not register the correct speed. This is a very expensive part to replace and I believe this is a vast problem with these cars. GM should have a recall of this defect.

- Croghan, NY, USA

Apr 152010

Monte Carlo

First voltage meter quit working then speedometer and recently tachometer quit.

- Orange City, FL, USA

Jan 272010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Owned this 2005 Monte Carlo for over 3 years now, first incident was around 50 to 60000 miles, 2 years ago, my then mechanic changed out something in my ignition switch that cured the security lite issue. I have the security lite on again while driving at around 95000 miles, afraid to turn the car off, but, if I am at home, I will shut the car off and immediately see if it will restart and it does, after about 15 minutes running, the security lite pops on again and stays on! now, reading all this GM passlock system issues, it is very clear GM needs to correct this problem, and it is a problem of GM! the money we pay for cars and for this to continue is unacceptable. The dealerships wants to replace the BCM, of course, that is the most expensive part and it is not solving the issue, they are playing a guessing game with our wallets! ! it is apparent there is a defect somewhere in the passlock security and I find this as many others do unacceptable to the point where I will not ever buy another GM product and if everyone in these complaints I have read does the same thing, well, GM, I think you will have ramifications from it. Why don't you please make it right with the Chevy customers that gives you your job, because if no one is buying GM, there will be no job. I would think GM can restore a good reputation if this was solved. We the people owning GM with your security issue is requesting a final solution to this annoying ongoing problem! so what do you say GM, you think a recall is in order for the passlock security lite issues on the Chevy? we the people believe there needs to be one quickly!

- Prescott, MI, USA

Apr 212010

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the instrument panel would fail sporadically and the gauges would read inaccurately, such as speeds traveled and fuel levels. The contact stated that while sitting at a traffic stop, the speedometer indicated that he was traveling 100 mph. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 77,000.

- Murrells Inlet, SC, USA

Sep 052010

Monte Carlo

I have 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo with currently 58,228 miles. Recently I have began experiencing problems with my speedometer either sticking or not returning to the '0' position. From my internet search, there is no current recalls for the instrument panel cluster. I have done further research to see there are many people out there who are experiencing this same problem.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Mar 212009

Monte Carlo

I own a 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo. Last year I noticed my speedometer and RPM and temp gauge stopped working. I've been searching for places to get it replaced and it just costs too much and will take 3-5 days for repair and I need my car for work. I have been using my gps to see how fast im going. I also looked online and have seen many complaints for the same problem. My oil gauge and gas gauge works fine.

- Hometown , IL, USA

Mar 012010

Monte Carlo

2005 Chevy Monte Carlo speedometer, tachometer. And thermostat gauges do not work.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Feb 252010

Monte Carlo

Speedometer erratic and inaccurate since early 2009 with about 60,000 miles on the odometer. Haven't been able to tell how fast the car is going since then. While driving slow on residential streets, the speedometer registers 120 mph or more. While driving highway speed on I-95, the speedometer sometimes registers 20 mph. The tachometer also does not work properly and the gas and temperature guages are unreliable. Upon checking the internet for similar problems, found this has been a common complaint with the 2005 Monte Carlo, as well as earlier model GM vehicles. While the earlier models have been recalled for this problem, the 2005 Monte Carlo has not. Currently waiting for a recall on the 2005 Monte Carlo, as this is a safety concern and repairs should be comped by GM. Dealer estimates repair cost between $600 and $900. Daughter received a highway speeding ticket in February 2010 due to inaccurate speedometer reading.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Feb 272010

Monte Carlo

I was driving my 2005 Monte Carlo at night and my speedometer and tachometer began to operate erratically and stopped working. The car had about 46,700 miles on it when the malfunction occurred. I reported this to the Chevrolet customer service center on 3/1/10 and they said it was not covered. The csr admitted that it was unsafe to operate the car with a faulty speedometer but told me to drive it to the Chevrolet dealership anyway. (?) the failure of General Motors dashboard electronics is reported extensively on the internet. There are at least 57 complaints on the NHTSA web site about the same problem. GM agreed to pay for trucks and SUVS for 2002 - 2004 model years but will not repair any automobiles. GM received millions of dollars in a settlement from delphi electronics for faulty parts in a closed settlement. However, GM will not correct the problem with these gauges. This appears to be similar to the current Toyota failure to respond to the floor mat foot pedal hazards. Please address this problem before someone gets seriously injured or killed by operating GM automobiles with known or possible defective instrument cluster electronics. Respectfully.

- Piedmont, SC, USA

Jan 052010

Monte Carlo

Speedometer sticks and does not work properly. As well as other clusters on the instrument panel. This is very dangerous and I have read of several others having the same problem online.

- Beaufort, SC, USA

Feb 012010

Monte Carlo

All of the gauges on my instrument cluster panel are working improperly. The speedometer is over 140 mph, the fuel gage sometimes reads E even when there is a fuel tank of gas in the car. The volt will set at 8 (the lowest point) and after driving the car for an hour or so will finally move to above the middle point. The gage indicators vary from day to day and it is very stressful because the indicators that are suppose to assist me while driving are not working and feel that it is major safety issue for myself and others to be out on the road with a car that is not functioning the way it is suppose to. I have had the car serviced and everything works properly, but the panel itself.

- Annandale, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Monte Carlo

All gauges have failed. 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo.

- Woodland, AL, USA

Jun 252008

Monte Carlo

I have 2005 Monte Carlo ss, the speedometer and the fuel gauge have stopped working. They fail when it is cold out and when it is warm they will some times work, however do I know if they are really working. I have read online where a lot of people with the same car are having the same issue.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Nov 102009

Monte Carlo

I have 2005 Monte Carlo with 85,000 miles and now the instrument panel has gone South. The speedometer is off and the temp gage is not working. I have investigated and found many people have this same problem also my transmission is starting to slip. Can you help? I will never buy another american car.

- Anderson, CA, USA

Jun 152009

Monte Carlo

Instrument gauges gone crazy. Speedo reads 100mph sitting still. Tach relines sitting still. Gas gauge reads past full. Etc.this in on a 2005 Monte Carlo with only 32,000 miles. Dealer wants $500 plus to replace.

- Sandersville, GA, USA

Oct 272009

Monte Carlo

October 27, 2009 was the 3rd time in 4 days that the speedometer and tachometer have stopped working while driving or failed to work period. I don't know what led up to the failure it just started when I was driving home from work on Friday October 23, 2009 and my cruise control was set at 65 mph and I noticed my car started slowing down and I was almost rearended I gave the car some gas and I noticed that my speedometer wasn't working nor was my tachometer. I haven't had anything done to correct the problem. I searched the internet and I have noticed that many many people have had this issue with 2002 through 2005 Monte Carlo's. this is a very dangerous problem that needs to be addressed. This will eventually take a life if not addressed and fixed by Chevrolet. There is clearly a huge problem that must be recalled. I had a 1999 Chevy Silverado that was recalled for faulty tailgate support cables. This problem is much more serious than that was and it was recalled so why not this" the instrument panel in a car is the drivers information center and a huge safety concern if it is proven to be faulty. Speed control is required by all states and if a car manufacturer has an issue this big with one of its products then it needs to be addressed and not hidden. This problem is also present in many other GM vehicles as well. Research it I did and I know there is a huge problem. I am sure you can reach the same conclusion. Took me only 2 hours of research for me to react. How long will it take the government" maybe never since they now have a vested interest in GM or maybe a few huge lawsuits against government motors will change its mind.

- Granbury, TX, USA