2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo:

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 012010

Monte Carlo

Periodically the car will not start. There was a recall that only replaced a portion of the key. The key will turn and all lights come on but it wont start. If you wait a few minutes and try again the car starts even though you have done nothing different. We took it to a repair shop and they are stating it needs a new ignition. I do not have a heavy keyring and only use the single key without the fob or anything and still have the problem.

- Gainesville , FL, USA

Jul 012015

Monte Carlo

2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle electrical system and recall issues. The consumer stated the engine light illuminated. The consumer stated after the dealer performed the recall, the alarm no worked.

- Waggaman, LA, USA

Jun 182015

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer to complete the repair for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). A few days after the recall repair was performed, the pass key lock sensor illuminated. The dealer stated that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The dealer stated that the magnet connection was not communicating with the key. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The approximate failure mileage was 80,052.

- Emporium, PA, USA

Feb 232014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact received notice of NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The contact stated that the air bag, brakes, battery and check engine warning lights illuminated while the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 166,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 202015

Monte Carlo

I took the car to a Chevy dealer for the ignition switch recall dated July 3 2014.I told them about problems with the ignition switch such as the key can be pulled out when car is running and sometimes the starter stays on with engine running also problems turning the key.I waited while they did the recall service.when they were done they told me they put a plastic cover on the key.I started the car and found the problems were still there.I told them the recall was for a ignition switch not ignition key and their fix did nothing to fix the problem.they told me this fix is all they can do.a few weeks later, I could not get the car to shut off.I had to force the ignition off using a screwdriver and I had to buy a new ignition switch and install it myself however I will have to go to a locksmith so he could make the new key work on my door.150.00 foa a switch.still have to pay a locksmith.I want my family to be safe in my car.I don't think G M feels the same.

- Otisville N.Y., NY, USA

Nov 092014

Monte Carlo

1.)cannot drive with the brights on because it will unexpectedly trigger all lights to fail and you will be driving blind in the complete pitch black night. 2.)the speedometer, gas gauge, and temp gauge haven't worked since about 75,000 miles. I purchased this car brand new and have had it serviced as needed. This is a factory defect, not something that was caused somehow by me. I think that it is ridiculous that I have to deal with these defects with my own money when I specifically purchased a brand new car so I didn't have to deal with problems of the vehicle that one would associate with a used vehicle. The brights issue could literally kill people, I'm sure it probably has.

- Dowagiac, MI, USA

Sep 232014

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the instrument cluster failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 142,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Morganville, KS, USA

Aug 022012

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

I cannot use the high beams on the car. When I do the dashboard electric and headlights all turn off. Switching it back to low beams they will come back on. Cannot use when driving.

- Gold Beach, OR, USA

May 072014

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

While driving home car's headlights became stuck on high beam and stayed stuck for several days then functioned as normal. A few weeks later while driving home at night headlights failed to function at all. Signal lights and fog lights were all that illuminated the roads. Visibility was only a couple of feet. Dealership is aware of issue and has issued several technical service bulletins for it not only this model year, but others. They will not fix or even reduce costs to fix because they claim this is not a safety issue. Not having any headlights at all is a huge safety issue in poor weather, but especially at night! upon inspecting multifunction switch in steering column and flipping external switch for high beams/wipers/signals to see if there is any function after a month of car sitting in drive, smoke began to steadily come out of steering column at switch. Battery was diconnected which stopped the smoke.

- Sherwood, OH, USA

May 012011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Traveling on us 90 w. all of a sudden no gauges. For weeks there after I was scared and extremely concerned my car was over heating(maxed out temp range)and speedometer on zero. In short it does every thing reading wise except correctly once the key is used. I (think ) I'm hearing a "pop or distorted/short" in the speakers..I have not installed or otherwise altered any equipment or made any changes to the original equipment of any kind... after reviewing the internet and asking other owners of like make/models and the "other closely related models I.e Impala I've been told more having this problem than not. I'm also finding it seem to be a problem rather earl in production years and appears to be a defect in engineering/assembly of these automobiles. (perhaps a full review of electrical patient/design and assembly methods may resolve why this is happening. I truly want to start a class action to "repair" (no money)with new re-designed installs by dealer. As of today my "carlo" is at 89000 mi... please feel free to contact me if I can help or you know of a correct fix.dealer wants 700 to replace dash..(is this new dash different in any way from oem build I wonder)also my Avalanche truck at 60,000+ doing the same thing. Does it take a fire or death to recognize this a recurring default in mfg. Of Chevrolet. GM and its dealers are mum and it must be my fault. Perhaps a complete electrical review of GM engineering is in order not withstanding durability standards and who makes the wires/assembly and where..I'm just saying.

- Biloxi, MS, USA

Jan 262007

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Vehicle ignition randomly turning off engine while in gear from 2006 to sale in Nov 2007. Trips to dealerships in malden, MA and West babylon, NY advised "too heavy" keyring, but continued to be a problem. Electrical failure of entire dashboard including speedometer occurred in January, 2007 and was subsequently repaired by dealership in West babylon NY where I was told keys were too heavy for ignition reporting now due to similar instances in other Chevrolet vehicles but noticed Monte carlos were not addressed as an issue.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Jul 072011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The steering problem was from the beginning when I bought the car used with 19,000 miles.. very tight steering, was in warranty at the time and had it serviced. However, all they said was it was adjusted. This was the spring of 2006. Steering at this time is still very tight, and it is real bad in summer months. The car now has 39,000 approx. If my car was recalled because of this, I was never notified the speedometer after the car warms up, begins to stop working. Usually after stopping at a light, I would notice the speedometer registers below zero (0) then I know upon accelerating it will not go up even to 45 mph...at times it sticks to around 25 or so. Then after abruptly stopping and then going forward, it will go back to normal. This is dangerous, because I try to stay within the proper speed, according to other cars around me, but if I was to go slower than I thought to be, I could get slammed into because of not keeping up with others. I fear this. The temperature gauge is also not reading right, it usually should stay below half temp... it goes up above even though I have had anti freeze replaced with fresh. That too is dangerous. Other than these things, I have had little to no problems. I love the car, I just hate when there is a problem. I would like for the manufacturer to look into this, as I have noticed I am not the only one with these concerns of the exact same problem. For me, the steering is the most dangerous. Now if my car was in any recall I may not have been notified, as I moved out West for a few years, and address had changed. I am now back home. Naturally when your new / used car warranty stops, then "things" happen and still making car payments makes it hard to service the expensive parts.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Feb 062013

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the speedometer, tachometer and fuel gauge readings fluctuated. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ray , ND, USA

May 012013

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the speedometer displayed the incorrect reading and occasionally register 80 mph in a 40 mph zone. The instrumental messaging center failure also caused the lights to flicker and become dim. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The failure was located within the instrument cluster and it needed to be reprogrammed; however, the vehicle was not repaired. The transmission was replaced at 45,000 miles. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,800. The approximate current mileage was 86,500.

- Bowie , MD, USA

Dec 092012

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the front driver's side seat warmer was activated when the seat caught fire. The contact shut off the driver's side seat warmer. No one was injured during the fire. The fire department was not called. The contact took the vehicle to a dealer for a diagnostic testing where the dealer advised that a short in the driver's side seat warmer caused the fire. The dealer did not perform any repairs to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Sidney, NE, USA

Aug 012012

Monte Carlo

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the instrumental panel gauges were all non-functional. The contact stated that he was unable to view the thermostat, speedometer, fuel levels, etc. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 176,000. The current mileage was approximately 180,000.

- Chalmette, LA, USA

Sep 102010

Monte Carlo

A yr. Aft. I bought my 2005 Monte Carlo, things began going wrong with it. First 2 things to go:the cruise control & re-window defroster. The next yr, while driving at night on the interstate, I switched my lights to brights & within seconds I had no lights at all! this could of caused a very bad accident, I was able to quickly switch the lights back to dim & luckily they came back on. Since then, I no longer use the bright lights, for fear of my lights not coming back on. Then it seemed like everything went haywire after that, odometer showed that I was going 110, gas gauge quit & temp gauge registered past 260. Not a fun night to be driving, not knowing my correct speed, how much gas I had, if my car was going to overheat or have no lights! since 6/15/2012 the tach now registers between 6000-7000 rpms & none of the gauges are working properly. My car also smells like it has an exhaust or fuel leak which comes thru the vents, it makes me sick & gives me headaches. I took it to a dealer a yr. Ago, paid $98 for them to tell me they couldn't find a problem. To this day, my car still smells like gasoline, I pray it doesn't catch on fire. Tonight I've been researching these problems & found that the faulty gauges is a very common problem with these cars & quite expensive to fix. I feel Chevy should be held responsible for repairing this problem & all the others, after all they're the ones who built a car with many serious problems. This is very unfair for the many consumers out there who have spent their hard earned money to buy this car. Not everyone can afford to get this fixed along with paying the car payment. I don't understand why they can't be made to take care of this. What would have to happen in order to make them pay" what's listed above? a crash, fire, injury or death" shouldn't have to be that way, something needs to be done before any of that happens!

- Greeley, CO, USA

May 222012

Monte Carlo

All of my gauges stopped working correctly. This problem first started several months ago with my temperature gauge and battery gauges. Now my speedometer is fluctuating irratically and getting stuck. After review of other blogs and posts this is definately a manufacture defect and should be fixed by the GM.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Oct 012011

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo. The contact stated that the instrumental panel failed and the contact was unable to read the speedometer, fuel gauge or the tachometer. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle and located the failure at the instrument cluster. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage was 78,000. Updated 03/28/12 updated 03/30/12

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jun 152010

Monte Carlo 6-cyl

Heater blower motor fire's on 2005 Chevy Monte Carlo ls, replaced twice !!! fire both times. The first time was probably around 18,000 miles or so. Then the second time was around 27,000 miles or so. (I would have to find my reciepts to verify exactly). But, both times the car's blower motor was on fire !!! alot of smoke, thick electrical burning smell. A man came over to help me (as I am handicapped by polio, and could not get out of my car myself), after it had been burning for about 1/2 hour, the man poured water into the firewall area that was burning, it still took about another half hour to try to stop the fire. But only the fan motor and close vacinity burned. But it could have been worse if that man had not come along and poured bottle water on it repeatedly for many, many tries before extinguishing the fire. My car was repaired at where I purchased the Monte Carlo new.". right now (6-20-11) I have only 28,000 miles on this 2005 Monte Carlo. I have also, just had to replace the wiper motor., a few weeks ago. !!! these should be recalled and GM should have to make these repairs or refund the money that people like me have already shelled out for these very costly repairs !!! now...I also have problems with my speedometer not working right. And gas gauge, "the entire cluster is bad, at an approximate cost of around $600 (six hundred dollars). This also should be recalled for safety. My speedometer might show 90 mph when I know I am going maybe 40. Or it might show 20, when I'm on the highway doing about 70 !!! sometimes the speedometer goes all the way around - past 120mph. Yesterday, when I stopped my car in the driveway, it showed I was still going 60 mph while sitting still in my driveway. Help please, make GM recall and re-imburse people for these repairs !!! information redacted pursuant to the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA), 5 U.S.C. 552(B)(6) *

- Wyandotte, , MI, USA