1998 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

1998 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup Owner Comments

Nov 282005

S-10 Pickup 4-cyl

My S-10 pickup will sporadically have the security light illuminate and flash when I* to start my vehicle. The truck will then not start even though it cranks over perfectly fine. The security feature is not a help, but a hinderance. I am using an offical GM key in my ignition when this happens. If I wait at least an hour then there is a possibility the truck will then start as if nothing were wrong and the security light goes out. This has been looked at by a certified mechanic and he states that it is something faulty in the "idiotic security system" that was standard equipment on this vehicle. I should not have to pay roughly $500 to get a faulty "security" system that really is a useless non-necessary piece of equipment fixed so that I can simply start my car with an official key! it is outrageous. I believe that one of the following two remidies should be forced upon GM: 1) they should fix this idiotic problem in my "security" system, or 2) they should bypass the "security" system that I do not want, have no need in my vehicle, and find a real pain in the posterior. This is the third time in a year that I have gotten stranded because of that damn "security" light when there is nothing wrong with my truck.

- Saginaw , MI, USA