1. will have to remove and replace the intake gaskets (3 reports)
2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup Owner Comments

May 012007

S-10 Pickup ZR5 4.3L V6

Mechanic said this intake gasket was a very common problem on the S-10. Bad engineering.

- , Watford City, ND, USA

Feb 112011

S-10 Pickup LS Vortex 4300 V6 Sfi

My wife and I are retired. We have two cars; so, I drive the pickup. I average about 3,000 miles, per year. I have it serviced regularly and see no reason for the exhaust manifold gaskets to leak. My mechanic (my nephew) stated that the coolant used in the engine caused a chemical reaction with the plastic intake manifold gaskets and caused them to erode and leak. This is the second GM vehicle that I have had this problem with. I had 1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with more than 36.000 miles but less than 40,000 miles. It seems like GM has had problems with their engines for a long time and refuses to correct the problem. I have bought my last GM product.

- , Battle Creek, MI, USA

May 022008

S-10 Pickup Crew Cab 4wd 4.3L V6

click to see larger images

plastic intake gaskets leak plastic intake gaskets leak plastic intake gaskets leak plastic intake gaskets leak plastic intake gaskets leak plastic intake gaskets leak

GM selected a plastic that deforms when exposed to the coolant. the only deformation is where the coolant touched the plastic. Dealership ignored complaint when it was under warranty even though they had TSB on the gaskets. GM is not repairing these vehicles they seem to think it lasting for the warranty is all the design goal needs to be. Gm uses defective materials and the consumer has to foot the bill. This problem exists on GM 3.1, 3.4 V6s as well.

- , Dearborn, MI, USA