2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup:

2002 Chevrolet S-10 Pickup Owner Comments

Aug 292005

S-10 Pickup 4-cyl

The consumer states that on his 2002 Chevrolet S-10 spare tire broke loose from the cable that it was attached underneath the vehicle. This happened while driving at 20-25 mph. The consumer heard the noise when the tire fell off. Then, the tire fell out in the middle of the street and almost caused another vehicle to crash into it. The cable snapped in half. The thin steel cable was not able to handle the weight. After the cable broke there was a little of the cable left. The consumer contacted Chevrolet and filed a complaint with the dealership.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 162005

S-10 Pickup 4WD 6-cyl

I noticed one of the tailgate cables on my 2002 cheverolet S-10 pickup (45,000 miles) appeared to be streached. Upon closer inspection I found the cable was separating under the coating. The opposite side was found to be in the same condition. I took the vehicle to my dealer and was told GM had not issued a service bulletin on the S-10, only the Silverado. Since my vehicle was out of warranty the dealer rep. Told me if I wanted to replace the cables I would have to purchase them. Within a couple of weeks both cables broke when my 3 year old granddaughter attempted to climb up on the tailgate. The tailgate fell open to the bumper but there were no injuries. I have since purchased and replaced the broken cables. The old parts are available.

- Independence, MO, USA

Dec 212001

S-10 Pickup 4WD 6-cyl

ZR2 S-10 4X4 pickup (2002). No mention of component failures.

- Mt. Washington, KY, USA