2001 Chevrolet Silverado steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Silverado:

2001 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Dec 182001

Silverado 4WD

When applying the brake the power assist steering fades to nothing after 1/8 turn making it almost impossible to manuver. The power steering pump and gearbox were replaced, the problem still exist. I have had the steering wheel jerk going around curves and having to apply the brake also. I believe this is a definite safety hazzard. GM states that this is just caracteristic of this truck, I do not feel it makes it ok. Something needs to be re-engineered so that the power asist is at constant pressure. I am told by manufacturer that no one has been hurt so there is no problem. It should not come to that. If I, as a business owner produce a product that has a definite problem I cannot tell my customers that is just characteristic of my work, too bad, so why can GM do that? I would appreciate your assistance in reviewing this situation. Thank you, bruce a. quigley.

- Clarkston, MI, USA