4.0

2002 Chevrolet Silverado fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Oct 142012

Silverado LS 5.3L V8

Definitely have a problem with the fuel sensor but not sure where. Whenever I crank the truck, the needle is dead empty and I have the low fuel light come on. Once I start driving the needle will slowly rises up to where it "suggests" the fuel level is at. Now that the needle reads some level of fuel, and I come to a stop of around 30 seconds at a stop light, the needle drops back down to empty and I repeat the process of raising back up after driving away. It even happens when I'm going down the highway. There wil be times where the needle just drops and a couple seconds later goes back up to where it was. I wondered if the meter just had a vibration issue so I took out the cluster assembly myself, but wasn't able to get past the circuit board in fear of breaking something. It's either going to be the $170 for the new clusters or $500+ to replace in the gas tank. I wish I didn't have to pay either one and have a working fuel gauge again.

- , Fuquay Varina, NC, USA