$1,150.00

1. disable cruise control and that seemed to work (1 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Silverado fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

May 172011

Silverado 6.0L

Started truck and noticed a high idle (around 1500rpm) as I took off for lunch. As I got to the end of the street, it didn't go down. As I crossed the street I tried to pump the gas thinking it was just sticking. Pedal continued to accelerate on it's own over 300 rpm. Within seconds I rode the brakes, pulled over and put the truck in Park. The engine revved close to 5000 rpms and I turned off the key. I tried again thinking I was just sticking so I fired it up, the engine screaming upward and I threw it in gear. Off I squealed to the next intersection with the accelerator depressed by itself. Very scary....I manged to go about 6 more blocks to get to my mechanics riding and smoking my brakes all the way. It was stupid, I should have had it towed. After $1150, and a new throttle body, I thought it was good to go.

Today, Friday May 20th at about 10:30am, it happened again, but didn't rev as high. I managed to catch some lights to my mechanics and didn't smoke my brakes. It's still there.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did they do for you?

Update from Sep 13, 2012: Someone emailed me about a response so here it is. I am at 134,000 miles and hasn't happened since. The throttle body wasn't the answer. My cruise control hasn't worked in several years and costs too much to fix on a 10 year old vehicle. My mechanic disabled my cruise control module. I think he just pulled the fuse. It seems that worked perfect because since then no issues. He figured the cruise control was kicking in and trying to get the truck up to reset speed or something calling for the acceleration. Makes sense.

Hope this saves some aggravation and money for someone else.

- , Roselle, IL, USA