7.4

2. replace the instrument cluster (5 reports)
  3. disconnect, clean then reconnect cluster (1 reports)
  4. pull the DIC fuse (1 reports)
  5. the 2003s had a recall but my vin # did not match the recall (1 reports)
  6. use a global positioning system (GPS) (1 reports)
2003 Chevrolet Silverado accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 112010

Silverado LS 5.3L

Speed indicator not working properly. Local mechanic rebuilt and greased cable.

- , Saraland, AL, USA

Oct 012012

Silverado

IPC needs to be replaced. GM acknowledged the problem by issuing a Special Coverage, but - for a limited time only - until 04/2010 or 70,000 mi (whichever come first). I personally have never received any letter advising of existing problem. Today they refuse to replace IPC, since coverage is expired. DON'T EVER BY GM Trucks - GARBAGE and AWFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE. They don't stand by their product.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 102012

Silverado 1500 WT 4.8L

Oil pressure gauge was off the scale with engine running. Got really lucky and found this website.after reading thru most of two pages i found something to try. I pulled the dic fuse and started the engine, let it run a few seconds, turned it off, reinstalled the fuse and the gauge is working like it should be. I had gone so far as checking on a replacement cluster to try and cure the problem, sure glad i did a little more looking.hope this helps someone else.

- , Citronelle, AL, USA

Mar 232012

Silverado 4.7L V8

This is the second time to fix the problem. Eight hundred bucks for poor electronics.

The information center scrolls continously from French to Spanish to English and the reset doesn't do anything.

The tachometer, voltmeter, and oil pressure gauges are totally unrealiable; most the time they say I'm taching 5000 rpm with 150 PSI oil pressure and got 25 volts........... that's with the engine turned off.

The check engine light comes on for no reason.

Other than the electronics being made by Delco (Prince of Darkness) Chevrolet makes a pretty good truck.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Nov 032011

Silverado

GM you got my tax money as a bail out and now you refuse to fix a problem you caused with a truck I paid 35 thousand dollars for that is 2 thousand miles over the warranty limit. Funny how you know the average mileage it will fail and what the limit you allow.You never should have gotten any of my bail out money that I worked for to help save your ass and now you wont help me.Never will I buy from you again.There has been several recalls on this truck and you bust your ass figuring out how to avoid fixing the problem instead of busting your ass to figure out a way to fix the problems,no wonder you needed a bail out.My tax dollars to bail your ass out so you can screw me,this is why there are people demonstrating all over America because of corporate greed screwing the small American citizen that worked hard to pay for the truck they bought from you only to get screwed by YOU. I made up 2000 bumper stickers about a bad dealer now its time for bumper sticker about you and this problem while I drive this truck so everyone knows that you screwed me while you got my tax dollars.

- , Middleboro, MA, USA

Oct 062011

Silverado 5.3L

My speedometer sticks intermittently. This has been a reoccurring problem over the last 6 months. We have done the start/restart 10X thing and it works until the next time it sticks. This is ridiculous. I realize that the truck is 8-9 years old, but it only has 80,000 miles on it. This should be under warranty. It is not like I did something to make my gauges stop working. It is a faulty part. Come on GM, fix it. I come from a loyal GM family. Most of my family are either current GM employees or retirees. At this point, I am so frustrated, I may stop buying American vehicles all together.

- , Southport, NC, USA

Aug 122010

Silverado LX 6.0L V8

it is a pain in the butt, but,, you can find a used or after market one, but your cluster has all the information stored in it for you information center. Thus, the dealer has to transfer the info for you and they wont do that with out it being a dealer product. Kinda get ya coming and going.

- , Missoula, MT, USA

Jan 012010

Silverado LS 5.6L

cluster is haywire , dealer refuses to fix it because mileage is to high. gm issue that they wont take care of. maybe its time for a dodge?

- , Riverside, CA, USA

Dec 152010

Silverado 6.6L V8

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Base Xcab LB 6.6/A5 4x2

Had the truck taken to dealer it would not start. They must have charged the battery when they worked on the truck and my cluster was not working when they gave it back to me. They wanted to charge me $500 to fix something they might have broke. So i took it home and took it all apart. ( Easy to do) unplugged the cluster and took it in the house to clean up and take apart. I opened the cluster and played with the gages (moved the Mph to max and back to 0.) Did this with all the gages. (have no idea if is helped). When back outside after playing with the cluster and it worked!!

Copy this link to youtube it will show you how to take it out of your truck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjvTdTHdTP8

- , Neenah, WI, USA

Nov 242010

Silverado

anyone know how i can fix my the cluster on my Chevy Silverado? its a 4x4,6.0,4-door . Or maybe if i can buy a cheap one or used one somewhere, I'm hoping to save hundreds by doing it myself.Ive gone on youtube but not much help there...Please help!....Tight Budget in Texas.

- , Harlingen, TX, USA

Jul 042008

Silverado 5.7L

CAN'T DEAL WITH DASHBOARD PROBLEM. MY FAMILY IS DEDICATED TO CHEVERLET SINCE THE 50'S AND WE NEED THERE HELP IN KEEPING US AS PART OF THEIR FAMILY. I AM LOYAL TO CHEVY AND NEED THEIR HELP. PLEASE FIX MY DASHBOARD FOR MY FAMILYS SAKE. DO NOT WANT TO SWITCH TO ANOTHER MAKE OF TRUCK

- , Sidney Center, NY, USA

Sep 292010

Silverado Z71 5.3L

Well, this is easy.

Officer: Sir, do you know how fast you were going.

Me: No officer, My speedometer does not work due the the 2003 GM recall has expired. My shop date to get it fixed is 10-10-10

Officer: that will be $150.00 speeding and $80.00 neglect fine.

ME: WTF...WTF..(of coarse after the officer left)

- , Apple Valley, MN, USA

Apr 012009

Silverado 5.0L V8

This BS got me a friggin ticket! Yea! It was showing 52mph,the fuzz said I was doing (yes thats right) 62 mph! Then a few days later Im going thru a school zone, Cops all up and down that sceen and the needle was reading 120mph! WTF ! Well we been into this for quite awhile now and finally the Tach, gas, oil, batt, water, speed, heater light(one side only) passenger side just fkn quit. Yep! now thats Quality, Remember quality is job one! And i have noticed also when the cold weather hits the damn truck floods out when started. Smells rich like the choke is staying shut. Hell it aint got a choke! Then it dies! ya gotta get it to the road and then tromp the mother till ya reach a 1/2 mile or a top speed of whatever it wants to read that day. Then at lights it starts loading up again. Come summer or above 40 deg no loading up, What a POS.

You GM assholes deserve NO bailout. Hit the bricks in my oppinion. Cheap ass taillights are delaminating too! God you suck. I sent the truck to the Crusher.

- , Portland, TN, USA

Aug 182010

Silverado SS 5.0L V8

waiting to hear about cannot tell how fast you are going how much fuel you have

- , Hondo, TX, USA

Nov 152009

Silverado LS 5.3L

Right or wrong this is how I feel, General Motors, Ford and Dodge could build a better car if they wanted to for the same price. They choose to screw over their fellow Americans using poor engineering practices using poor materials in manufacturing the American automobile for purpose to profit in repairs. I do feel Toyota made a mistake by not bringing their problem forward and honestly, but at least face it, they are trying to manufacture the best automobile in the world and their repair issues prove it.

I have found that my Chevrolet Silverado has had an issue with the speedometer that GM doesn’t want to deal with. I was told by an executive assistant to the CEO, that GM would not help me with their defect. This is not something that has worn out, this cheep crap by design they are pushing on the consumer. I refuse to pay for this repair and I am holding GM feet to the fire to fix it. I gave GM one month to come clean and have file a complaint with both my States Attorney General’s Office and The Nation Safety board Administration in Washington. I also am making a youtube video showing my truck along with my sons two friends who have Silverado’s with this same issue. I told the CEO quote “320,000,000 Americans and the World could view youtube and LET THE BEST CAR WIN!”

- , Big Lake, MN, USA

Apr 102007

Silverado V6

The 2003s had a recall on them, for this very problem! I called the dealer and they said that my vin # didn't match the recall. I told her that my cluster was doing the same thing that the recalls were doing. She said there wasn't anything that they could do. So if you have a 2003 Chevrolet there is a recall on the cluster but you might get luck and your vin # matches. i think if there is a recall on a certain year model and make, all of them should be on the list of vin #s, if they are having the same problem.

- , Ragley, LA, USA

Sep 172009

Silverado Z71 5.7L V8

Oil, water, battery and tachometer needles do not work like they are suppossed to. Sometimes they work or read like they did when it was new, and now they are not reading right at all. i have been told to take off the battery cable and let it set 5 minutes to reset these gauges, and when I do it works only for 2 days, then it is back to screw-up city. The local chevy dealer says it needs a new cluster, which costs from 500 to 600 bucks. Dam this !

- , Kenly, NC, USA

Jun 012009

Silverado V8

This is definately an annoying problem. The heater and inside lights will decide when and if they want to work. Sometimes they wont work for a day or two then they start working again. Sometimes it takes a month or two. This truck is more of a headache than a help. I have no idea what the cause is or how much it will be to fix it if it is even worth fixing. The CD player will reset also after listening to MAX 5 songs and will not let you have CD back for 2 or 3 days sometimes. The problems started on our truck about 2 years ago and have just kept stacking up. First it was the cd player, then the speedometer quit working, then the lights, then the heater started acting up. At first with the heater it would click repeatedly when it was turned on. Then the 5th setting went out. Then 1 and 2 quit. Now it won't switch settings easily (from heat vents to floor heat to defrost). Sometimes the front seat belts will lock for no apparent reason and will not unlock unless you unbuckle the belt then rethread it all the way back in and pull it back out. The truck has sensors to detect how much oil is in it: which warned me once the oil was low. I checked the oil and it was indeed a quart low.

Last night (12/17/09) my truck started acting sluggish on starting and I THOUGHT it was the battery because it was cold and the battery was like 5 or 6 years old. My fiancee got us a new battery and came to my job and installed it. Problem fixed or so I thought. I needed gas and decided to get that next door at the service station a total of a 1/4 trip from one lot to the other by road. The truck died 3 times from the place I work to the gas station. Then I start looking for why: oil etc. Check the oil: the sensor never told me it was low. My fiancee' also never checked the oil because we had no indicator we needed oil. The truck was almost out of oil. So I add oil to the truck. I figured it still needed more from what it had, but I didn't want to over fill the oil. I decide to try from then to get home. In the 20 feet from the exit of the service station to the entrance to my work, the truck dies twice. It will idol but it will not run if it is in any gear. I am so mad I just want a new truck.

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

May 132009

Silverado V8

this is issue of my interior lights: the ones that lights of the heater, radio and cd player quit working then start up again

- , Williamsburg, VA, USA

Mar 222007

Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel

GAUGE CLUSTER DOSENT WORK ALL THE TIME; AND COMES ON AND OFF DURING DRIVING TIME.

- , Lemon Grove, CA, USA