2003 Chevrolet Silverado brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Jan 202015

Silverado

On January 20, 2015, the brakes on my Chevrolet Silverado failed. When I applied the brakes to make a normal turn, on a residential street around the corner from my house, the brake pedal went all the way down to the floor. I was extremely fortunate that no cars were coming the other way & I was able to maneuver the truck out of harms way until I came to a safe stop. I noticed a trail of liquid on the ground & also dripping from under my truck. The liquid coming from the truck was brake fluid. A later check proved the bake fluid well was empty. Obviously the brake fluid that was in the reservoir was now on the ground causing the vehicle inoperable. Well it was operable, it was all good to go. Stopping the vehicle was another matter. Thank goodness I was driving in a residential area when this incident occurred. Imagine if this had happened on a busy interstate (like interstate 95) where some real damage could have occurred or perhaps worse death.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 102015

Silverado

Brake pedal suddenly went to the floor with no braking. Dealer confirmed that the brake lines had rusted through and were replaced using a kit from Chevrolet at a cost of $2330.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Jun 242013

Silverado

Was driving around 35mph and started to put the brakes on to make a right turn at the upcoming light and the brake peddle went all the way to the floor and the warning light came on and I went right through the intersection without slowing down and luckily the light was green. Limped down the street to a pep boys and they told me that both the front and rear main lines had rusted through and they couldn't fix it. Limped it a few miles using the emergency brake to stop to a Chevy dealership and was charged ~$1500 to replace the rusted out lines from the front to the rear axle.

- Owensville, OH, USA

Jan 102015

Silverado

While driving on route 95 my brake line broke. It is completely rusted out. I found thousands of other people online with the same problem. GM needs to recall this. I had to swerve across traffic and drive on the grass shoulder to come to a stop. Very very scary.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Feb 192014

Silverado

While moving forward in line at a drive through my brake pedal suddenly when straight to the floor and would barely stop my truck. By the time I returned home I had to brake with the emergency brake. I then had it towed to 4 different mechanics who would not fix my brakes for under $4000 dollars due to liability reasons. Apparently the "stainless steel" hard lines from the master cylinder had all rusted out completely. If I had been on the road far away from home there could have been a serious accident.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Dec 272014

Silverado

There was a complete brake failure coming to a stop sign. Fortunately was able to get the vehicle stopped using emergency brake. There was also no other vehicles at stop sign or at cross street. Went through the intersection. There was little or no brake pressure and the brake pedal went straight to the floor. At the shop it was noted there was a complete brake line failure at the ABS module near the driver door of all 6 rear brake lines. The brake lines all rusted through. The shop noted this was a common defect of the Chevy Silverado. This appears to be an issue especially in cold climates where salt and snow accumulates. This needs to be a safety recall to fix this defect. All 6 brake lines were replaced.

- Little Canada , MN, USA

Dec 052014

Silverado

Lost brakes while underway - was able to nurse vehicle back home using emergency brake and gearing down. Examination of brake lines revielded a small hole had rusted thru one of the metal brake lines !! having truck towed to dealer for repare. I hope GM will foot most of the bill. Thanks, barry

- Lexington, KY, USA

Oct 022013

Silverado

I was approaching a traffic light in town and when the brakes were applied the brake line broke and there were no brakes. I swerved to miss the car infront of me but hit her passenger side rear. She in turn hit the car in front of her.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Oct 292014

Silverado

I depressed brake pedal to shift the truck from park, and the brake pedal went to the floor! pumping the brakes did no good. I looked underneath, and brake fluid was running down from under the driver's seat area. Upon closer inspection, one of the brake lines coming out of the ABS modules had sprung a leak at the point where it bends over the top of the frame rail. If this had occurred while driving, an accident is likely, as there was no brake, despite the dual master cylinder! all of the brake lines are severely corroded, especially where the oem factory formed bends are. The brake lines are actually at the point of crumbling in places. To counter any claims about severe corrosion environment causing the problem, contrast the brake lines to the fuel lines on this vehicle which have no to very minimal corrosion. I also own another 2003 GM vehicle with far more miles, and it also has very little brake line corrosion. I have owned both these vehicles from new, and the Silverado has less miles, and less winter salt exposure than the other vehicle. I have also owned other vehicles for many more years and miles than this Silverado, and have never experienced anything like the horrible crumbling of this obviously defective brake line material used on the Silverado. Please NHTSA, take some action on this obviously serious safety situation caused by defective manufacturer materials!

- Frankenmuth, MI, USA

Oct 152014

Silverado

Brake line failed due to corrosion causing brakes to fail.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Oct 142014

Silverado

I was coming to a stop to turn right and brake pedal went to the floor. I had very little brakes only if I went completely to the floor. I had to swerve to miss the car in front of me. I brought truck to brake shop and the driver side rear steel brake line was spraying brake fluid all over my tire.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Sep 232014

Silverado

After having my truck serviced at the dealership, the service tech tested my brakes & the brake lines burst. After inspection, rusted brake lines, under drivers seat, all burst. Causing an expensive cost to replace all brake lines.

- Washington, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Silverado

Driving my 2003 Chevy Silverado in the left lane of the city freeway approximately 50 mph in heavy traffic. Pushed brake to stop for vehicles changing lanes ahead. Brake pedal initially had pressure but after about 2 seconds went to the floor with nearly no pressure and no braking effect at all. There was no prior indication of a problem and no warning light signaling an issue. Swerved into the left berm to avoid hitting cars ahead. Traveled 20 plus car lengths while dropping automatic transmission into lowest gear and pumping brake pedal to no affect. Forced truck against barrier wall to avoid hitting other vehicles. Brake warning light came on as truck stopped. A large puddle of brake fluid was dumped below rt rear wheel and leaked when the brake pedal was pressed. There had been no previous issues with the brakes and brake pads were replaced 20,000 miles ago. The dual circuit system provided no partial braking effect at all. I had the vehicle towed home and discovered a steel brake line burst from corrosion and all brake lines significantly degraded. This truck has been meticulously maintained, is driven everyday and has been garage kept since it was purchased new in Dec 2002.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Sep 202014

Silverado

I have a 2003 chevolet silverador the brake lines rusted and when I apply my brake they went to the floor scearing me have to death.thank god ihad just started up a hill and was able to get it stop by using the emergancy brake.

- Greencastle, PA, USA

Aug 272014

Silverado

While driving and approaching a read light, I depressed my brakes and the pedal went to the floor causing me not to stop and running a read light. I was fortunate not to have hit or be hit by another car. I managed to pull to the side and later when the truck was in the shop I came to find out that my break lines rusted through nearly causing a serious accident. This kind of defect is completely unacceptable. I was fortunate not to have been killed. What more can I say?

- New Boston, MI, USA

Sep 092014

Silverado

Lost brake fluid, brake line under drivers side blew out lost all brakes. Was able to stop using emergency brake or it would have been a crash into my garage! brake lines are all rusted very badly. This is a spare vehicle and is usually only used in the summer or for quick trips to town. All brake lines are suspect in many places.

- Agency, IA, USA

Sep 022014

Silverado

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brakes failed and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The contact observed brake fluid leaking onto the ground. The contact replaced the rear brake line and noticed that the front brake line also failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 139,000.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Sep 092014

Silverado

Brake lines are rusted out. I was driving down the highway, coming to a stop light and the line let go as I applied the brakes.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Aug 092014

Silverado

I was backing my boat down the boat ramp when the brakes went to the floor. Parked the truck and seen a puddle under driver side rear tire area. Drove home slowly on back roads and pulled it into my garage to see where the leak was comng from. Found the brake line rusted above the frame just before it turns to come down to the block that connects to the rubber line. I spliced in a new section of brake line, bled the brakes and ok again. Welcome to

- Menomonie, WI, USA

Apr 292014

Silverado

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while attempting to stop at a stop sign, excessive force was applied to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake line was fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA