2. replace gear box (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Aug 112010

Silverado 5.3L

My husband and I purchased the truck in July of 2008 w/ 85466 miles and the steering has always had a wine to it. I noticed a louder wine parking, sounded like a belt or maybe it was low on steering fluid. Fluid levels were good. One day while backing out of my drive-way I noticed a rubbing sound that sounded like a tired rubbing on something but all was clear. Tires do not rub. Went to beach on Aug, 9, 2010 on Wednesday Aug. 11, went to back out of my parking spot and could hardly turn the steering wheel, felt like manual steering only more difficult to turn than manual steering. Was very difficult to steer and a jerking feeling in the wheel. Was able to get the truck turned after about 4 attempts. I turn the steering wheel to the drivers side and thats when it is difficult to steer. Turning to the passengers side of truck, I feel the jerking sensation but was able to turn the wheel like it had power steering. Taking the truck to the dealer on Tuesday Aug. 17 to have checked out. Will update their findings then.

- , Charleston, WV, USA

Nov 262007

Silverado LS 6.0L

I have had alot of trouble with steering issues with the 2004 Silverado and the 2004 Suburban which went back on Lemon Law for these problems. Now I have this issue with the Silverado. I had it in in October to repair clunking again from the steering shaft, they replaced the steering shaft and a month later I had no steering and they had to replace the whole gear box, which of coarse was not under warranty. It was going to cost 950.00 but I have a friend who works for Chevy and she got me a discount so it cost $702.00. Still beware the steering is dangerous on these 2004 model trucks from Chevy.

- , Hemet, CA, USA