1. replace wheel bearing (6 reports)
  2. replace bearings (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Mar 012004

Silverado 4.8L

I had a bad drivers side wheel bearing from the day I bought the truck (brand new). I didn't recognize that the wheel bearing was bad until the truck started shaking during a snow storm in 2004. Even then, I didn't know. I replace front brakes twice, and front rotors twice. Took it to dealer who replace back brakes and rotors at my expense, Finally while rotating tires, I shook the wheels and had some movement in one wheel. I tried to repair it myself and had purchased a timkin replacement wheel bearing, but couldn't get the old one out, and so took it to the dealer which told me they couldn't use the one I purchased, they would have to use a Chevy bearing which costs several hundred more. The truck had 50,000 miles on it by this time and the dealer never recognized I had this problem. After repair the truck felt brand new.

- , Ontario, NY, USA

May 302011

Silverado LS 4.8L

Noticed the problem after getting confortable to the truck once i bought it. everytime i hit a pothole or a bump or even slightly braking on a hill, i'd hear a loud chater under the steering wheel and pedal compartment..... finally had the money and ran out of patience with it and took it in... First trip replaced my tie rods because they were worped or something (who ever really knows what it was) and said it'll be just fine now.... no. about oh.... 5 months later i again ran out of patience with it and took it in same place goes oh lets check it out.... my front left bearing was shot and the rotor was really warped.... be about 800 bucks to fix. (note: when they said it should solve the problem) so i called another shop and they can fix the problem no big deal.( said the chatter is ultimately the ABS over working) said the rotors can be replaced but do them when you redo your brakes they changed the bearing and presto. no chattering. cost me a pretty penny on a truck that should have withstanded a freaking bump. common.....

- , Orange, CA, USA

Jun 202011

Silverado LS 4.8L

Suspension was horrible and loud clattering and drifted slightly after new tie rods (another story) new tires and alignment check. took it in the bearings were so bad they said i needed to do them pretty soon... went in luckily the guy was a friend he saved me $300 from firestones original bid. but BEARINGS going bad on a TRUCK.... you got to be kidding me.....

- , Orange, CA, USA

Apr 212009

Silverado 1500 V8

This is the 3rd time this has happen. I am tried of fixing this problem and paying for it.

No dealer will help with the problem. I always have to pay.

Nov 152005

Silverado 1500 V8

The problem keeps occurring every 30, 40,000 miles consistently. I have to change ethe hub and the bearing both....This should be a recall. I am tried of this problem.

Jun 072007

Silverado 1500 V8

This was not the first time that the bearings failed. They keep going out. I have already give a complaint description

Jan 112006

Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L

Front driver's side wheel bearing went out at 32,000 miles. Bearing was so loose that the wheel was about to fall off of the truck. There is now way bearings should be going out with only 32,000 miles! GM replaced under warranty....again.

- , Evansville, IN, USA