2005 Chevrolet Silverado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 152010

Silverado

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. I kept smelling an odor of something burning but could not find where it was coming from until recently when my fan motor stopped working. I had been having problems with the switch not working in all positions. I called the dealership to inquire about the price and availability of the switch. The parts dept. Informed me that it was most likely the fan resistor or the plug because they have had several that needed replaced. When I looked under the dash I found what had been causing the smell. The resistor showed signs of being overheated and the wire harness was burnt for approximately 6 inches. This is a fire hazard and it is only a matter of time before someone is either injured or killed due to this defective resistor/plug.

- Milton, FL, USA

Jun 012007

Silverado

At around 37,000 miles the speedometer started sticking and around 45,000 miles it completely went out and has been stuck at 120 mph ever since. I took it to the Chevy dealership and they told me it would cost around $800 dollars to fix. I called and complained to GM customer service, at which time they did nothing but told me to take it in and get it repair at my expense. I haven't had the money to have it repaired so far so I have been driving without it. I think Chevy should recall the instrument clusters and fix the problem at their own expense.

- Social Circle, GA, USA

Jan 102010

Silverado

Speedometer fails to register actual speed of driving -- will show 120 when driving 70, 90 mph when driving 30mph, 15 mph when stopped at a light. Makes highway driving hazardous because I am prone to driving slower than traffic. Also concerns about accuracy of the odometer because of this problem.

- Macon, MO, USA

Oct 152009

Silverado

Vehicle speedometer is inoperative. At highway speeds reading is 0 mph, or speedometer is stuck above 65 at a dead stop.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Feb 152006

Silverado

2005 Silverado pickup. Heater fan motor resistor melting wires too a point that the wires couldn't be touched without being burned. Warranty expired but problem exists. Told dealership that I thought it was a safety issue. Ie: if combustible materials were to come into contact there would most likely be a fire.

- Cameron, 00, USA

Sep 102009

Silverado

For quite some time, our 2005 Chevrolet Silverado would have an odor and the #5 position on the fan for heater would stop working, then start again. Recently it completely stopped at all levels. We can no longer circulate heat or ac in the vehicle. We checked the blower motor resistor unit, it had melted and also melted the wiring harness up under the dash. We now have to replace both units at great expense to us., not to mention this could have caused a fire...we usually have some grandchildren strapped in car seats...which would have been quite dangerous to them, had it caught on fire. This has been going on for some time, not just the mileage indicated.

- Otway, OH, USA

Sep 072009

Silverado

Invalid speedometer readings, odometer works.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 192009

Silverado 4WD 6-cyl

Odometer stopped working as well as the blower motor control switch on my 2005 Chevy Silverado, 4.3L V6 4WD truck.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Nov 242008

Speedometer failure.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Dec 222008

Silverado

My speedometer reads about 20 mph faster than I'm actually driving, and reads 20 -25 mph when at a dead stop. I know this was a warranty fixable item on the 03 and 04 models, why not on the 05's?

- St Johns, AZ, USA

Jul 252006

Silverado 8-cyl

Vehicle will quit running and will or will not restart. Sometimes after 15 minutes it will. Quits running at any speed and at red lights.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 032006

Silverado 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate at 70 mph, the engine suddenly stalled, resulting in the engine to quit. Since our truck has a standard transmission, the driver simply "popped" the clutch and the engine started. About 10 miles later, the engine stalled several more times causing the engine to quit again forcing us to pull to the shoulder. We checked the battery cables, but the engine would not turn over. After a few minutes the engine started, but continued to stall. While in neutral, the RPM's were jumping over 3000 then falling below 500. At the same time, the battery gage was reading nearly nothing. No warning or check engine lights ever appeared. Since we were in another state 500 miles from home, our only choice was to continue until we could find a GM mechanic. The engine continued to stall and misfire for another 60 miles. Since we were a mere 702 miles over our factory warranty, the dealership told us we would have to schedule an appointment, and the next opening would be in 8 days. Instead, we were able to find a local mechanic shop, and in a matter of minutes the mechanic found the cause of the stalling to be a wire that plugs into the coil pack. He called the GM dealership for a replacement, and was told it would have to be ordered from the manufacturer and it would take a week or more to arrive. The mechanic told us the factory wire was not necessary, he could simply splice into the wire to fix our problem. Since staying an additional week was not an option, we agreed to have the mechanic fix the wire by splicing it. We began to experience similar stalling 10,000 miles later. There are 2 wires that enter the same clip then plugs into the coil. The cause of stalling the second time was the wire opposite of the one replaced before. This leads me to believe that there may be a defect in the coil itself, or merely low-quality wires installed by GM.

- Dexter , KS, USA

Aug 032005

Silverado 8-cyl

While the driving down the road, I pressed the release button on the steering wheel to adjust, then the engine cut off, all the panel gauge icons lighted up and the digital display for the "P R D R L" cycled across. I had to put the car in neutral to restart the engine. Once I got home, I was able to duplicate the problem while idling in park on the drive way. This is a new Silverado purchased June 24, 2005. Will take in to dealer asap.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jan 012005

Silverado 6-cyl

This is a failure of all autos. Why not require all auto makers to hook up cars lights to their windshield wipers? that way if wipers are on lights are on.

- Bell Buckle, TN, USA