2007 Chevrolet Silverado electrical problems: engine & electrical system dies while driving

Engine & Electrical System Dies While Driving

2007 Chevrolet Silverado

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.4

1. dealer repaired faulty wiring (2 reports)
  2. bad battery cable (1 reports)
  3. dealer replaced battery (1 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Silverado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Silverado:

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Aug 302013

Silverado LT 1500 V8

My 2007 Silverado has an electrical "gremlin". While driving the issues involve: complete loss of power, gauges jump, air bag light flashes, a/c resets, clock resets, bell chimes, lights flicker......probably more but what I have listed is enough to make me nervous. My worst fear is that it will involve myself and others in a very unsafe situation due to the complete loss of power. Also at any time when I shut the truck off it will be completely dead. I have to open the hood touch the battery connections (they are corrosive free), close the hood and chances are it will start again.

If anyone has any help, comments, solutions.....please they are all welcome. Thanks.

- , Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA

Apr 112011

Silverado LTZ 5.3L

I bought my truck brand new off the show room floor in late '06. The truck is a 2007 Chevy Silverado LTZ. I have had my battery replaced three times by the dealership and this problem is on going with my truck. Just this evening it happened again!!! This time with my youngest son in the truck with me!!!

I have also had issues with the air bag lights coming on telling me it is time to service them, then it disappears.. Constantly I have had issues with the truck dying on me while driving it and I think as much money as I have spent on this truck GM should give me a brand new truck.. I have low miles on it 53,000!!!!

Electrical JUNK!!!

- , Herington, KS, USA

Jan 032011

Silverado LTZ 5.2L V8

The four wheel drive was engaged (locked in) for a few days (January 3-6th, 2011) and the mechanic said the electrical wires were worn through causing it to short out.

I have also been having problems with the engine dying while driving through the parking lot at work I use premium octane gasoline most of the time (AK availability is not always possible). These problems occur after I have had the auto start run through two full cycles which is standard due to climate (Anchorage / Valley).

The tire pressure sensor worked for about 3 months (I am the original owner of vehicle)and has never operated correctly since. I went through a 6 months of dead batteries several times a week and the mechanics could never seemed to find a solution at the dealership, however (knock on wood) this has not happened in over a year.

- , Wasilla, AK, USA

Feb 242010

Silverado LTZ 1500 5.3L

I just bought this truck last week. First the sun roof and auto back window would not work. They fixed it, after they fixed that the passenger side door power did not work. They fixed that. Now last night I started it up and everytime I hit the brake the lights would dim, then about 5 min. later the radio went off and came back on, after that while driving I lost all power on everything for about 10 sec.. I got the truck back home and shut it off. When I tried to restart it it was dead then I opened the door and the dome light wouldn't come on, shut the door and tryed to restart and it did.

I woke up this morning and took it back to the dealer I got it from and it ran fine the whole time. Oh also my battery gage was reading low last night also but today was fine. I did buy this truck used but told the dealer fix it or I want my money back. I bought it last thursday and had the truck in my possesion a total of 2 days. Seems as if they got a problem if we are all experiencing this same issue.

Update from Mar 5, 2010: Seems they found the problem. It ended up being a bad ground off the battery. They fixed this issue and all seems well. The dealer I bought this from found and fixed it not chevy. I must give this dealer a big high five for standing behind the truck and doing everything they could to make it right.

- , Lititz, PA, USA

Oct 012007

Silverado 1500 2WD EXT CAB 4.3L V6

car kept dying while stopped and while driving. Radio, lights and gauges would stop working while driving. dealer said that a wire was not assembled properly and was touching the alternator cause the battery to intermittently short out and a few fuses had also blown. This was a serious electrical problem that could have resulted in a fire.

- , Brighton, IL, USA