7.7

$3,050.00

1. new liffters and cam (3 reports)
  3. replace spark plug wires (1 reports)
  4. replaced engine (1 reports)
2008 Chevrolet Silverado engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado Owner Comments

Jul 112014

Silverado

I bought this 2008 Silverado new. I even bought extended warranty on it, it was out of extended warranty when this happened. It only had 123000 miles on it and is 6 years old and I babied this truck. I maintained it myself, changed the oil every 5k miles and did not drive it hard. One day after I pulled off the interstate it suddenly started running very rough, missing, rough idle, low power. So I took it to the local dealer and after diagnosing the truck they informed me that a valve was stuck open and this caused cylinder damage and other things and quoted me $5K to fix.

I was speaking with a friend of mine a couple days later and he informed me the very same thing happened to his 2007 Silverado with only 58k miles on it. Seems like a major defect to me, 123k miles is nothing to put on a vehicle, especially when you take good care of them like we both did. I had a 2001 with a V6 that I put 300k on and traded it in running good. The service manager at the dealer told me that I probably heard a squeak that sounded like a fan belt a few days or so before this happened. I actually replaced both fan belts because I did here that squeak and couldn't figure out where it was coming from.

I am very upset that something this catastrophic can occur to and engine with only 123k on it and Chevy not be concerned about it or take any responsibility for the defect. These engines should last for hundreds of thousands of miles for what they cost. I pay more for a Chevy because I did believe they were built better, now I'm not so sure anymore. I traded the truck in, not going to put 5k in a 6 yr old truck that shouldn't have broke down to begin with.

- , New Braunfels, Texas, USA

Mar 282014

Silverado LT-1 5.3L

This is the third time this issue has happened. The first two it was covered under the warranty the dealer replaced the two of the lifters the first time, the second time they replaced the cam shaft. Now, two years later the lifters have collapsed again. Took it to the dealer who did the first two repairs and they want $1700 since the truck has 138K miles.

They are trying to blame it on the lack of maintenance but I get it maintained every 3500 - 4000 miles.

I bought this truck new and this will be last Chevy product.

- , Abingdon, MD, USA

Nov 012007

Silverado LT 5.3L

I have bought many Silverados, This is by FAR the worst gas mileage truck I have ever owned. After many many complaints I found out GM has changed the rear end from the standard 373 gear to a new standard 343 gear in 2008.

I'm guessing but in my mind you still have the same weight to get moving but less power. I don't know what else it could be. average mileage is 2 per mile less that adds up fast when you get poor mileage in the first place.

I have since traded in for a 2010 with active fuel management expecting better, NOPE just as bad....

I will say I have since traded the 2010 in and now have a 2012 and I must say the mileage is back to the same as earlier years. I can get 17-18 highway now and I'm a pretty soft pedal driver.

- , Grand Ledge, MI, USA

Mar 172013

Silverado LTZ Vortec Max

My Chevy Silverado Vortec Max has 138,000k and the engine light and the traction control light came on. Took it to the dealership and was told that the cam and lifters failed. It started out as $5100 repair and then, they said that they could give me a deal at $2700. They indicated that they had problems with the cam in this truck and were aware of it.

I had been at the dealership 14 months prior to take it in since the low oil pressure light came on and said to shutdown asap. When they checked my truck at that time they said there was no concern. 4 months later I end up with this major repair . They said that their service records show that I look after my vehicle. Wish they would have done so as well. My time has run out on my warranty but not the kilometers. I feel cheated because there was technical service bulletin about this problem but they do not act on them as it is info only. Not sure if GMC/Chevy can or will help,but very angry about having been screwed over.

- , Red Deer, Alberta, canada

Aug 022011

Silverado 4.8L V8

The truck developed a miss 1 month after I got it but the check engine light never came on until the truck had about 150,000 miles on it. I took it in to the dealership and they found that #8 cylinder was dead due to a bad exhaust valve. They replaced the engine with a used one that had approximately 50,000 miles on it. Replacing the engine was cheaper than repairing the heads. The truck now has 220,000 miles on it and the same problem occurred again. I dont know if this is a design issue, driver issue or a fuel injection issue. Most of the miles are freeway miles and I am not a slow driver but I dont drive it like a race car either. It has the same fuel injection system it originally came with and nothing was ever found to be wrong with it but I wonder if it could be something small causing a lean condition on #8 cylinder that would cause it to fail over time.

- , Orangevale, CA, USA

Nov 232011

Silverado LT 4.8L V8

USED 1 QUART OF OIL EVERY 750 MILES. ON A 2007 CHEVY SILVERADO. GOT PROBLEM FIXED AND TRADED TRUCK AWAY NOW HAVE A 2008 CHEVY SILVERADO HOPING I DONT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM

- , Vergennes, IL, USA

Mar 022010

Silverado 2500 HD V6

The check engine light stayed on continuously and the truck had a really bad miss/hesitation. I contacted chevrolet and a local dealership but because the truck was over the warranty miles by 1500 miles I had to pay to have it put on a diagnostic machine. We had already replaced the plugs twice, who would have thought it would be the plug wires? When we took it to the dealership, the price of ONE wire was $135.00! And they wanted to install it! ANY idiot can replace a wire, doesn't take a genius to do that. Because the truck was a little over a year old, it was difficult to find a parts store that could order the wire. But we did find one who had it here in a couple of days.

Now a year later I get a letter in the mail from Chevrolet that there is a defect in the spark plug wire boot! No crap!! And of course I haven't kept up with a receipt for a year for something that I never dreamed they would actually admit there was a problem with. So I emailed Chevrolet a complaint and explained to them that I will NEVER buy another chevy product. And I won't, I will walk first. I am sooo very disappointed with the quality of this truck. I bought this for my son (he makes the payments, I co-signed). He had wanted a Chevy Silverado since he was 16 years old and got his driver's license. But he doesn't want another one either.

I just want to thank the people at Chevrolet for ruining the American dream and trying to keep American jobs here. Looks like I will be supporting the Japanese economy with the next vehicle I buy.

- , Caraway, AR, USA