2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Aug 082012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I had applied the brakes to stop, and the ABS was going on and off and I ended up going thru the intersection, luckily no one else was in the intersection, I found out there was a recall on it in 2005 and the work was done on 1/23/2007, I called Chevrolet to find out that the recall was done they "cleaned" it and hey look 5 years later it does the same thing and GM wont do anything about it. Looks like cleaning really didn't do the job.

- Nowthen, MN, USA

Aug 222012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was driving on a street in philadelphia, when a couple of children started to cross the street in front of my vehicle, when I applied my brakes the pedal went to the floor. I had to swerve to avoid hitting the children and narrowly missed them and another vehicle. I took the vehicle to my local Chevrolet dealer's service department, and they indicated the metal brake line had deteriorated and rusted thru.

- Doylestown, PA, USA

Aug 192012

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 5 mph, the brakes were engaged but the brake pedal dropped to the floorboard abnormally. The driver was a certified mechanic who inspected the vehicle and discoverd that the brake lines were severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- North East, MD, USA

Aug 092012

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet silverado1500. While driving approximately 5 mph, the contact depressed the brake pedal however the pedal abnormally dropped to the floorboard.the contact was able to stop the vehicle without incident. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered that the brake lines were severely corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 26,000.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Aug 012012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Driving 45 mph. Needed to apply brakes. No brake at all. I was able to down shift and thank god I was goin up a slight grade and no one was infront or close behind. I was able to veer off road and get it slowed in time to turn into the parking lot of the dealer whewre I had purchased my truck 10+ years ago. They said all brakes lines must be replaced. Excessive rust on all. I looked at the line to the left rear wheel after they removed it. It fell apart in the mechanics hand. How it had stopped me is unknown. Brake lines do not do this. I've worked on vehicles for 40 years. Hard brakes lines do not rust like this. The entire brake line is corroded. Not just the top say, from salt. The entire line. I was not able to stop the truck with any remaining brake. Physics stopped my truck. Feet before plowing into a major intersection. I'd love to buy another GM product. Not sure I have the faith that GM wants me to. Thanks GM. How can you bailout of this mess? recall it. I spent good money on a Chevy because a Chevy will last as long as your willing to care for it properly. Now I'm spending in excess of $800 to fix your "low bidder" vendors mistake. Whomever made the brake lines should be bailing me out. Make it right GM. Just make it right.

- La Plata, MD, USA

Aug 192012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

On my way home from vacation thankfully I stopped to use the restroom. When I left the parking lot I noticed that the brake pedal went to the floor and the vehicle slowly stopped. Saw brake fluid on the ground and looked under the hood saw a burst brakeline above the left wheel. I was out of state had to be towed to a repair facility. Noticed all the brake lines badly rusted and opted to replace all of them at a cost of $1100. Thankfully this did not occur on the highway that I had just exited at speeds of 70mph!

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Aug 172012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was attempting to stop for traffic ahead, I applied the brakes which initially slowed the truck but then the brake pedal went to the floor and I was unable to stop my truck and hit the car in front of me. Both vehicles sustained only minor cosmetic damage. After making sure the other party was uninjured and waiting for the police to arrive I noticed fluid under the truck. I looked under the truck to find brake fluid dripping from the brake lines that run along the frame rail at the drivers door. All the brake lines where severely rusted and I had to have the truck towed to a repair center to have the brake lines replaced. I don't understand GM's logic of using a stainless steel drive shaft and exhaust systems, but use lesser material for something as important as the brakelines. A recall is clearly in order.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 112011

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I am not sure of the exact date of the first incident. Can report if necessary. On Saturday, August 11, 2012, after a stop at the end of my driveway, I proceeded across the street and stopped again at my parents driveway to pick up their mail. Upon climbing the hill of their driveway, I attempted to stop in front of their garage when my brake lines ruptured and I lost all braking power. Thankfully, I was able to put the truck in park before hitting the garage door. I had my mechanic tow the truck to his shop and he said it would cost a "couple thousand dollars" because he needs to lift the cab off the frame to replace the lines. Last year, I had to replace all of the caliper, rotors, pads, parking brake pads and backing plate and all of the rear brake lines which were severely corroded. I have less than 33000 miles on this vehicle which I bought new. The total cost of those repairs was 2800. Add the 2000 or so for this repair and it comes to almost 5000. I feel there should be some relief from GM due to the unusual wear and corrosion and the low mileage. Please advise me of any necessary steps to resolve this issue.

- East Berlin, CT, USA

Jul 292012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving when I went to stop and the pedal was soft. The truck still stopped but the pedal didn't feel right. I was able to get to my in-laws house, about 2 miles. When I got out I saw brake fluid leaking from the brake lines running along the frame on the drivers side. They are the lines that go to the ABS module. When I inspected further, all 4 lines were either leaking or about to. That is when I noticed both rocker panels, just under the doors, were rusted and the passenger side rusted through. The doors are not rusted and there is very little rust on the truck even where the paint has flaked off.

- Milford, NH, USA

Jul 272012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Slowing down to park, pushed brakes, pedal went to the floor. Barely stopped before pinning someone between my vehicle and another truck. Rear brake line burst below driver seat, brake fluid puddle under truck. Upon inspection, all 4 brake lines running along the frame totally rusted, about to burst. Need to replace all lines on whole truck. On the flatbed towtruck, noticed the driver rear leaf spring where it wraps around the bushing was missing the top half. This is where force is transmitted from axle to frame (back is a hanger / pivot). The whole rear axle could have torn off. Noticed where it had cracked and had rusted 1/2 through before falling off, likely sometime recently.

- New Milford, CT, USA

Jul 302012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

With engine on and going at approximately 45 mph, an 'ABS system' warning light came off along with a continuous motor type sound. I parked the car on side road and loud 'motor' type noise continued coming underneath the car. I drove the car back home and ABS system light on with continuous sound did not stop. Turned engine off and the sound did not stop. After a couple of hours, the sound did not stop and had to disconnect car battery. Took car into car dealership and right away before car was formally tested/diagnosed, the service advisor stated he knew exactly what the issue was. The car was diagnosed and service advisor confirmed the car had a 'known' problem related to abcm (ABS control module). According to the service advisor this is a potential safety related problem. This is the reason why I am submitting this safety complaint. According to the service advisor, damaged abcm computer can send an incorrect signal and the breaks can close when the car is running. I contacted Chevrolet corporate and explained the situation (service req # 71-1092953268). I was informed there are no recalls for this type of problems. I did a quick search in the internet and found that many consumers are complaining about the same problem. Also noted that the problem does not seem to be related only to 2002 Chevy trucks, but other car models and years. If the cardealer service manager is correct and this is a safety related problem, then this issue could cause serious incidents. Can NHTSA please look into this problem and confirm if this is a potential safety problem? thanks in advance for your help.

- Laveen, AZ, USA

May 012012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While backing my truck out of the garage I lost my brakes due to pedal going to floor and loosing brake fluid. I was able to get it to stop with emergency brake. Upon further investigation I noticed all brake lines that route on outside of frame between master cylinder and ABS module were rusted badly and were wet with brake fluid.

- Festus, MO, USA

Jun 192012

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while attempting to park, the brake pedal wiggled and the vehicle would not stop. The contact had to apply repeated pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic:anti lock). The manufacturer was notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 113,000.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jun 162012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Both brake lines under drive side ruptured/leaked brake fluid. Loss of brake pressure.

- Dartmouth , MA, USA

Jul 072012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Had to make a panic stop at a speed of 50 mph....not a full braking panic stop but a minor panic stop when the brake pedal went to the floor. Drove 3 miles to home (very carefully)......service garage said I had blown a brake line due to rust, and all lines were completely rusted. Cost to replace all lines, $950.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Jul 112012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving down local road, when there was a three car accident way ahead. I sowed right down, May 25-30 mph as we came up on it, realizing as I went to slow down more, my brake pedal went to floor. I made it home and parked. My boyfriend looked at it next morning, I had no brake fluid left, one of the lines was so corroded the fluid leaked all over the driveway. I had recently had my brakes done and inspection within the past month. I bought the truck brand new, and have had a lot of issues with it. Including ABS that was previously recalled, and never worked after it was replaced, which I did complain about, he interior set material needed replacing, the tail gate cables and hinges are broke, the dealer says there is no recall on them. A sensor went in gas tank, the drivers side mirror fell off, the window cable on drivers side has been replaced twice, passenger side once, the list goes on and on. Like I said, I bought it brand new off the lot, traded in older Chevy Silverado, paid cash with GM discount. I love my truck, but think it has had way too many problems. I have definitely read a lot of complaints on the corroded gas lines among other issues and would hope Chevy would stand behind their products.

- Hamlin, NY, USA

Jul 082012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I had complete brake failure with no warning, brake line is rusted. And had to use emergency brake to stop.was a nightmare.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Sep 152011

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The vehicle was taken for state inspection when the contact was informed that all of the brake lines were corroded and would have to be replaced. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: EA11001 (service brakes, hydraulic:foundation components:hoses, lines/piping, and fittings) that could have been related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Jul 262011

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicles brakes failed while approaching a stop sign (I was lucky there was no accident or injury). The vehicle was towed and the mechanic reported catastropic failure of the brake lines (rusted through causing complete loss of fluid).

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Jun 162012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Thank goodness I just got off a major roadway in town. My 16 year old son was driving the vehicle. We got home and I had to run back out. I was driving at the time. Pulled out of my cul-de-sac and went to apply the brakes at the stop sign and the pedal went to the floor. Lucky no cars or children were in my path. All lines are rusted out. Had two sections (front) with major rot that were leaking. No indicator lights or signs prior to malfunction. Bought new lines from local auto parts store and have been replacing a little at a time. Entire underside of truck looks like its 50 years old!!!! will see what rots out next.

- Lanoka Harbor, NJ, USA