2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 12)

Jan 142016

Silverado 1500

Brake lines rustd out. Making my truck loose brake fluid and had to be replace, . serious problem, lucky I did no have an accident. Rust etc, all over the rest of the brake system, very costly, $$$$$, I was driving down a street slowly.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Dec 222015

Silverado 1500

Chevy rust. Brake lines rusted out completely and failed - happen at slow speed no one injured. Shackled broke off and hit bottom of bed without towing. Frame is rusted out. Neighbor has similar vehicle with same problems (put jack on frame and it went through the frame.) many complaints online about these very issues.

- Utica, NY, USA

Oct 212015

Silverado 1500

Brakes pulsating at low speed trying to stop almost hit another car in front of me.

- Mcclure, PA, USA

Jul 062015

Silverado 1500

About 165,000 miles brake pedal started to pulsate at low speed when stopping.started out only when I would be turning left, now does it going staight, about 170,000 miles now.had new caliper on driver side, new hub assemblie and sensor on passenger side, brake system flushed, still have problems with brake pedal pulsating, does not matter what kind of road I'm on.

- East Berlin, PA, USA

Sep 202015

Silverado 1500

Recall 05V379000 related to low speed activation of the ABS braking system while my vehicle is operated was performed in 2006 on my vehicle. This has not fixed the issue as low speed activation of the ABS system is occuring now. I have contacted Chevrolet corporation (GMC) and asked to have the recall protocol performed again. They refuse. I spoke with kimberely from NHTSA and she advised me to file a complaint if GMC refused to take responsibility for this defect. Phone confirmation # 868194

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jul 262015

Silverado 1500

2002 chev. 1500 silv. Purch. 2001 tx.ABS brake system failed on St under 5mph, brought to mechanic.,brake pads, and tires.southeast Texas hot and very humid, laws of nature, airbags are no good in either vehicle.(she has a son age 14, and 3yr old grl).axil is rusty worried that it might break.god is with all of us, his intentions are always good. God protected her and her chiildren in this vehicle thus so far..\& we desire to protect thier children and you know this, but sometimes people go through unfortunate tragedys such as divorce, health, etc.a single, no money that wants safety for ther children and work.Chevy Silverado brought new paid off less than 3yr. Her 1994 Ford mustang (was insured farmers)purchased in 1997.ABS brakes failed, transmision prob.& engine replaced. Truck( geico ins) undrivable because ofelectrical system and ABS, rusty brake lines, rusty axils, leak in the line, no horn, doors do not seal water leak, paint faded, even tools can not fix these problems.she has a college degree and living in a home she bought (before the tragedy )when she worked.(helping others at herman memorial baptist hospital beaumont behavior center of southeast Texas, mehaffy weber law firm, christus St.marys hospital outpatient center, port arthur animal clinic, port arthur news paper, png isd as a sub-teacher, spindletop mhmr and family services womans and childrens shelter. She has volunteered at 3 rivers council for boyscouts of America and even gradulated with the wo he lo medalion in boys and girls campfire scouts when she was 15.)she has reached out for help, and no one listens....like she does. Even though she is down for the season, she continues to helps others by showing others that god is good he is real & alive.we R all gods children.please NHTSA, what can be done? -K

- Groves, TX, USA

Oct 142015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard without warning. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not provided. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000. Updated 02/12/16

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Oct 182015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving at 10 mph and proceeding to stop the vehicle, the brake pedal failed when depressed. The vehicle was restarted and functioned normally. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 121,648.

- Jackson, SC, USA

Oct 182015

Silverado 1500

Seems that below 10 mph anti lock kicks in on dry pavement and makes truck hard to stop in motion on road

- Brighton, IL, USA

Oct 052015

Silverado 1500

While driving through my subdivision approximately 20 mph and pressing the brake, the pedal went completely to the floor and the vehicle did not slow down. I pumped the pedal repeatedly and only slight braking action could be achieved. I went through the subdivision just narrowly missing two crossing cars and kids then turned onto a nearby side street. After finally getting the vehicle to stop, I got out and saw a puddle of brake fluid forming a few feet behind the driver side front wheel.

- Grove City, OH, USA

Sep 242015

Silverado 1500

Brakes failed completely. After I felt the brake pedel was not right I backed the truck into the front yard, and when I tried to stop there was no pedel and the truck kept going and hit a tree, lawn bench, misc. Objects, and stopped after hitting S retaining wall. I estimate several thousand damage done. I was told the brake lines were rusted.

- Florence, KY, USA

Sep 072015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving at a low speed, the contact applied the brake pedal and the ABS kicked in; however, there was a loss of brake function. The stopping distance of the vehicle was dramatically reduced. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that there was a wheel bearing sensor failure. The entire wheel bearing with the sensor was replaced, but the failure recurred multiple times. The contact researched and found NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Waterville , ME, USA

Sep 102015

Silverado 1500

I was driving in appomattox va when I step on break I had no breaks. Two of lines had bust.

- Pamplin , VA, USA

Sep 082015

Silverado 1500

Approached corner and pressed brakes to turn. Peddle went to the floor. Almost ran into a car turning and I had to swerve to miss them.

- Freeland, MI, USA

Sep 042015

Silverado 1500

Multiple times stopping about 4-5 mph on dry pavement, my vehicles ABS system kicks on and I loose breaking power.

- Canton, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Silverado 1500

The first time I lost all brakes was when I was backing up to a traler on 7/13/15. The second time I was hauling a dump trailer with rock and lost all brakes and was able to get it to coast to a stop. The first incident was taken to a Chevy dealership and had the rear brake line replaced, only to lose my brakes again 40 days later! this time it was my front brake line. Why is there no recall on this? I don't feel safe driving this vehicle anymore. I have 3 young children and I can't trust your vehicle with their lives or mine!

- Pittsfield , IL, USA

Aug 122015

Silverado 1500

ABS stopped brake pedal from going down. By the time I lifted and pumped again vehicle struck young girl. Travel was about six feet. There is a recall in other states but not ky.

- Livingston, KY, USA

Sep 172014

Silverado 1500

Luckily I was pulling in my driveway when I found out my brakes had gone because they had rusted through not long after my gas was pouring out cause the fuel lines rusted and now chances are I wont get an inspection sticker this coming year because my frame is rusted out

- Belfast, ME, USA

Jul 302015

Silverado 1500

Was starting out of driveway on slight slope. Applied brakes and antilock system kicked in. Under 5mph. Rolled in front of oncoming traffic. A truck had to veer to avoid collision with us. Became aware there is a known problem but vehicle hadn't been recalled because it is in Kentucky. #05V379000 recall should be extended to ky because of salt for snow and gravel roads.

- Livingston, KY, USA

Jan 262015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact received a recall notification for the brakes on the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. After the recall repair was performed, the brakes pulsated when applied. The dealer stated that the failure was due to an aftermarket wheel bearing. The contact stated that the brakes worked exceptionally well prior to the repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure; however the contact was not offered a remedy. The NHTSA campaign number was unknown. The failure mileage was 130,000. Updated 09/10/15

- Two Rivers, WI, USA