2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 12)

May 302014

Silverado 1500

My brake lines failed, nearly resulting in killing a child that rode his bike onto the road from a driveway and forcing a vehicle headon into my lane of travel. Luckly everyone was able to squeeze into appropriate places and was paying attention as I was unable to slowdown. Dust covers on the rear have been rusted and gone for the last two years, and I have replaced the regulators in both passenger/driverside doors three time each due to the cables rusting and snapping. When I took my vehicle into Chevrolet dealer ship for maintenance, it had less than 36K at the time, they removed one plastic panel (falling down from behind the door interior trim panels) from each door that was hanging down and scratching my rocker panel, and said "we dont know what these are for, so we just removed them", hmmm, maybe it was to help with moiture related issues within the door panel. Not sure just guessing, but cant bellive that they couldn't figure it out. Over all not impressed with Chevrolet even though it is pretty much all I have owned, if they keep producing this crap they should lower the price.

- Apg, MD, USA

Jun 032015

Silverado 1500

Went to start truck. Pressed brake pedal. Truck started, pedal went to floor. Took foot off pedal. Let truck run for a few minutes to see if brake light would go off. It did not. Turned off truck. Checked around truck. Found brake fluid under truck by right rear tire. Check brake line near left rear tire. It is in bad shape and will likely fail soon. Two or three years ago, had front line fail below driver's seat. Replaced front lines. Rear lines did not look too bad at the time. With all new technology advances, Chevy is now using inferior material. Dust guards around rear brakes of this truck are completely gone on both sides. Everything is rusting. Had 1975 Buick estate wagon for 22 yrs. It was in better shape when I sold it than this truck has been for the last several years. Chevy could do all the corporate double speak they want. Fact is this rust issue is a safety issue. I have friends that have a little older and newer 1500 and all have brake line issues and varying degrees of rust underneath the vehicle. I see where others have registered similar complaints. It is unfortunate that nothing will get done until there are serious injuries. (I see where you want a daytime phone number. If you call from a phone that does not have a NHTSA id, you will have to leave a voicemail.) updated 09/17/15

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 022015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle would not stop when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact had to use the emergency brake to force the vehicle to stop. The dealer diagnosed that the brake lines were leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,610.

- San Benito, TX, USA

May 062015

Silverado 1500

I've had to replace calipers, rotors, brake lines the have rusted, brakes hoses that have gone bad and this vehicle is well kept and inside. Low miles for a 2002 and yet all at once everything went bad including my fuel sensor for the gas guage.

- Conowingo, MD, USA

May 232015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The brakes failed while driving 50 mph. The dealer stated that the brake lines were corroded and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 153,000.

- Flushing , MI, USA

Apr 162015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Without any warning and fortunately at low speed the driver's side rear brake line developed a major leak. Despite GM's claim that an incident such as this does not result in inadequate braking, it was difficult to stop the truck. Further inspection of the brake lines yielded considerable corrosion in other areas. Contacting the dealer where I purchased the truck revealed the high cost to repair this issue, despite the fact that it is a major safety issue with the truck. The dealer also made note that I should consider replacing the fuel lines. Contacting General Motors yielded the response that this is a maintenance issue and that they could do nothing to assist me. I do consider other components in the braking system to be maintenance items, not the brake lines. Brake line failure can result in immediate catastrophic results with absolutely no warning. My exhaust system is the same age as my brake lines and is in excellent condition despite the same environmental exposure as my brake lines. General Motors needs to address this serious safety issue.

- Higganum, CT, USA

Apr 192015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Rusty brake line broke. Lost brake control for entire vehicle.

- Athol, MA, USA

Apr 012015

Silverado 1500

When you are traveling real slow or parking the antilock brakes kick in making I difficult to stop. I talked to Chevrolet customer service and they will do nothing for me. Although it is the same design issue that they have recalled on recall #05V37900, the say my truck is not covered.

- Warroad, MN, USA

Mar 012012

Silverado 1500

My Chevrolet Silverado pickup (1500 4X4) has experienced three major brake failures. The first failure was while driving and approaching a stop sign. When I attempted to brake, my foot went to the floor. After pumping a few times, the truck slowed but with little stopping power. The vehicle was immediately towed and brake fluid was actively dripping from the lines. The second failure was about a year later while driving at low speeds (<5 mph) while parking. Again, my foot went to the floor before the ABS system activated (completely dry conditions) with essentially no stopping power (ABS activation but no braking power). This resulted in an accident as the truck did not have enough room to effectively stop (thank goodness the car in the parking space in front of my was unoccupied). After being repaired by the dealer (twice), the problem just occurred again (approx. 2 years later).

- Landenberg, PA, USA

Oct 152014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds and depressing the brake pedal, the ABS system engaged intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the front passenger speed sensor erratic needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000.

- Ashland, WI, USA

Jan 082015

Silverado 1500

I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado, and I have had the brakes fail on me multiple times the first time I encountered this issue was in early January when I was driving to school and I approached a stop sign and when I went to slow down I had no brakes and my vehicle rolled into the street luckily I wasn't go very fast and there were no cars coming so I didn't get hit. The repairs cost me 175$, that was repairing the problem to bare minimum (single brake line replacement). After I fixed that issue I ran into another problem, the ABS brake system will now spontaneously turn on when I come to a stop, it resulted in a three car crash, I was going to back into a parking spot and when I pulled my truck forward I tried to stop and the ABS locked up my trucks brakes (not slippery out) and forced me to hit two other vehicles, one was majorly damaged and another with minor yet still severe damage, this accident ended with me paying more in insurance and having to fix the damages on my own vehicle out of pocket. I will also in the very near future need to replace all my brake lines because they are on the verge of failing and I am being priced near 900$ for the repairs, I am not sure how much the ABS problem is going to be because the truck has been parked ever since the incident, the brakes are costing me a lot of money and hardship.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Feb 102015

Silverado 1500

Went to stop for a red light. Brake pedal went right to the floor. Had to swerve not to hit the car in front of me and swerve again not to kill the guy walking on the shoulder of the road. This is unacceptable I have driven lots of car into the ground never has this even been a thought. All brake lines needed to be replaced 1100 dollars later!

- Brewerton , NY, USA

Mar 012015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was traveling at approximately 5 mph approaching an intersection and applied my brakes. I could feel the ABS system functioning as I was on a snow-covered road. After about 1-2 seconds of ABS activation, the brake pedal lost all pressure and continued to the floorboard. I was able to coast to a stop and could see the brake line located on the driver side under the driver seat, squirting brake fluid onto the ground each time I engaged the brake.

- Chatham, IL, USA

Jun 172014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While slowing down at a stop light at approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond and the contact had to depress the brake pedal several times to stop the vehicle. Once the vehicle stopped, the ABS and brake warning indicators illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was recently repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. However, the brakes were replaced and the failure persisted. The failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000. Updated 04/06/15

- Clay, MI, USA

Mar 012015

Silverado 1500

Brake line under driver side frame are completely corroded and one ruptured and my brakes to fail about 90 % could barely come to a stop.

- Dry Ridge, KY, USA

Jan 152015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the brake line was rusted and the ABS module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000....updated 03/31/15 updated 6/22/2015

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Feb 032015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving downhill at O'hare airport terminal 5 I went to stop for the light and there was a brief second where the brakes acted normally and then the brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I had maybe 10% braking power. I had to drive on the side of the road and through the red light to avoid hitting another vehicle. I brought the car to my mechanic who said the brake line above the gas tank rusted right through.

- Chicago , IL, USA

Jan 252015

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

As I was driving I approached a traffic light and applied the brakes. As I applied them, the pedal never offered much resistance and eventually went to the floor. I suspected that a flexible brake line had ruptured so I got off the street as quickly as I could. I examined the inside of all of the wheels where I thought that brake fluid might be evident. There was none to be seen. I limped home with the vehicle and examined it more closely. There was a major leak under the floor of the vehicle in a rigid brake line leading to the anti-lock brake controller. I researched the issue on the internet and found that GM has refused to issue a recall for rusted brake lines. In my opinion these lines should be of the highest quality material to be found. GM, however, must not think that the safety of their customers warrants any better materials than the rust prone metal that the brake lines are manufactured from.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Sep 262011

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

On 26 September 2011 said vehicle had to have all brake lines and other brake parts replaced due to excessive rust/rusting out at 71,012 well maintained miles at a cost of $1300 plus. On 30 December 2014 said vehicle had to have all fuel lines and fuel filler tube replaced due to excessive rust/rusting out at 90,790 well maintained miles at a cost of $1800.oo plus.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Dec 262014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Drove to Milan, mi from ypsilanti, mi. To look in on sister in law who is incapacitated due to broken femur from fall. Brakes felt mushy as I slowed to enter her driveway. After entering the driveway at low speed I applied brakes and pedal went to floor. Tried pumping brakes with no result. Threw shifter into reverse to keep from plowing into sister in laws vehicle. If this had happened earlier on the busy road leading into town I would have surely had an accident. Found brake lines badly rusted and both lines leaking that run from master cylinder to antilock module mounted to frame under drivers area. It is ridiculous that these two safety sensitive lines are made of un protected steel as opposed to copper nickel and are run out of the protected under hood area to the high corrosion prone underbody to meet the inappropriately placed antilock module. Two years prior to my purchase of this truck GM heavily advertised the rust resistant galvanized panels they were using in their trucks. I have since found out that they quietly removed this rust protection. I have ordered new break lines to totally replace all metal lines on this, my last Chevy truck. I can only wonder how many fatalities have resulted from this often referenced condition. The difficulty will be in ever proving the cause and affect (effect) of these accidents since they will be so devastating in nature, the driver will probably be killed and not be able to testify about the true cause and almost all GM trucks of this vintage (especially in the rust belt states) will have break lines so rusted that they will crumble in almost any accident. My experience shows that the unfortunate driver won't always have "some" braking ability left on a line failure.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA