2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 12)

Dec 122014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Brakes started to slip when applied, taken to shop reported that all brake lines need to be replaced due to rust.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Dec 092014

Silverado 1500

The emergency brake fails to work, it has had the pads replaced 3 times. The emergency brake continues to not work properly.

- Pikeville, TN, USA

Aug 012014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I had replaced antilock brake module last year and had brakes worked on this year and last and replaced brake pads. The rotors had been turned before, on a trip to my daughters my brakes started to go out. They were completely out by the time I reached her corner. I had to have all new brake lines and rotors and pads even though there were only 6,000 miles on the pads. I also had rustproofed the truck including the underbody and carriage when I bought it new in 2002. It's a rust bucket despite the extra protection. The antilock brake module was rusted. The brake lines were completely rusted through. And now the fuel pump is out and they fuel lines are rusted as well. What gets me is I paid so much extra for extra rust proofing. It should not have rusted through this bad at only 125000 miles. The antilock brake module is placed where the rust can get at it right under the chassis part unprotected. So much for safety. That went out at about 75000 miles but just got it replaced at 100000 miles or so. The brake lines and the fuel lines are a joke on this vehicle. I used to make and inspect and test them at a factory and these would have never passed inspection for corrosion test. But they weren't made there. The factory is closed. No union wages either, but we did good work not this garbage. It cost over $500 for module and it cost 2500 for the rest of brake job. And now the fuel lines and pump and filter will cost over $1000. Plus my truck body is rusting through on the rocker panels. I bought a Silverado because they hold their value and are dependable. Now my vehicle is only worth about half of what it should be and I'm paying though the nose on top of it! we have a 98 Chevy Blazer with 195000 and no rust on the rocker panels and the brake lines are just now getting replaced. There was no extra rust protection on it either! when is GM going to be responsible?

- Fayette, OH, USA

Aug 092014

Silverado 1500

Crested a small hill to see a red light with three cars in line. I depressed brake pedal, which went to the floor. The vehicle was stopped using the parking brake after swerving into empty lane of oncoming traffic in order to avoid hitting the line of cars from behind. Upon inspection, the front brake circuit was blown in the piping just aft of the front driver's side wheel. It is extremely difficult to stop a large truck with empty bed using only the rear brakes as they lock up easily. There seemed to be no brake power using the brake pedal, which is why the parking pedal was used. Even with a functional parking brake, the "failsafe" of having only one circuit is nearly useless given an empty truck bed (low rear-wheel traction) and a loss of pressure on the front circuit. In my opinion, losing the front brakes on a truck is catastrophic. In any event, in my case, the supposed fail-safe either did not work or was inconsequential. All of the hard lines (fuel and brake) on this vehicle are extremely corroded and are being replaced with stainless. This car spent the first five years of its life in Oklahoma and Missouri (where little to no salt is used) and moved to nh in 2006. The rear driver's side rocker panel is also rusted through and the frame has very significant rust, especially on the leaf spring hangers. In addition, the front driveshaft is rusted to the point that I will not operate the vehicle in 4WD until I replace it. This vehicle seems very susceptible to rust, especially the brake lines, some of which crumbled in my husbands hands while removing.

- Bedford, NH, USA

Nov 192014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I took the vehicle to the shop for a safety inspection. They found that the metal brake lines had rusted through and were leaking. Fortunately this problem was discovered in the shop, avoiding a possibly catastrophic brake failure while driving. I had the front lines replaced by the shop at a cost of $581.50, and I am replacing the rear lines myself. I am filing this complaint to document the problem as it relates to previous requests to GM by the NHTSA to issue a recall on these vehicles for this problem.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Aug 202014

Silverado 1500

While traveling through town approached an intersection when brakes were applied pedal went to the floor tried to pump them as fast as possible to not get into a collision with car sitting at the red light. Did an avoidance maneuver into right turn lane was unable to stop truck and narrowly missed oncoming traffic turning left as I approached the corner, I shifted transmission into low gear and was able to apply parking brake to stop truck. Took to mechanic and found brake line ruptured below drivers seat had to replace all brake lines due to corrosion.was informed by mechanics repairing the ruptured line could break surrounding lines as they were all corroded as well. So they replaced all brakelines and all piston calipers as well because ferrul nuts were rusted into calipers. $1600 dollar repair. Lines and calipers (4).

- Grovetown, GA, USA

Nov 122014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 45 mph, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and the ABS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the mechanic informed the contact that there was brake line failure. The brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Nov 092014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Driver swerved in front of two cars in front of me causing them to brake hard. When I brake the brake pedal went to the floor at 70 mph. I swerved in to the emergency lane to avoid hitting the vehicles in front of me. I kept the pedal pressed and engaged the parking brake while down shifting the truck from drive to 3, 2 then 1st. I then placed the truck in neutral and got the vehicle stopped. Upon inspection on the side of the road I found one of the rear steel brake lines had burst.

- Lebanon, OH, USA

Nov 072014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving on us rt 202 the light ahead of me turned red so I attempted to slow down and my brake pedal went straight to the floor and did not stop or slow down. I had lost brake pressure. Ran the red light where I almost T-boned another car, right in front of a police office. After avoiding the crash I parked on the side got out and saw brake fluid pouring out of the drivers side under the drivers door area. The brake lines had failed due to rust. I and other motorists could have been seriously injured for an issue that both GM and the NHTSA know about.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Oct 292014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph engaging the brakes, the brake pedal sank to the floor and the vehicle failed to stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the brake line had rusted and needed to be replaced. The brake line was replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 115,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- New Haven , IN, USA

Jun 042014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the driver side seat belt would suddenly retract and prevent the contact from moving. Also, the contact indicated that the ignition key became lodged in the ignition switch and could not be removed. In addition, the ABS sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ABS pump motor was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Point Pleasant , WV, USA

Nov 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

While traveling at 25mph and coming to a slight abrupt stop, the brake pedal fell to the floor while depressing the pedal to stop. The vehicle came slowly to a stop with steam rising from under the vehicle. Upon pulling the vehicle to a safe location and upon inspection, it appears as if one of the metallic (assuming steel) brake lines feeding from the master cylinder to the ABS block had burst. No indication lights on the dash of a braking system failure or low pressure alert for the system. It appears that the brake lines were corroded/rusted. Upon discussing with a reputable auto shop, they indicated that this is a common issue on this model year vehicle and that a repair to replace the lines may be required. This is a safety issue in my opinion and if the materials used to make this safety system were non-corrosive; this would have not happened.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 012014

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

The ABS system activates or does not allow you to stop. It seems like the truck continues to accelerate. Pumping the brakes does not work. Putting it in neutral or ramming it in park is the only way to stop it. I almost ran someone over today. This is a very serious issue. I can not drive this truck in this condition. Looking at the forums out there this is a well reported problem yet I have not been made aware of the recall. I have not changed my address and have owned this for more than a year and a half.

- West Bend, WI, USA

May 142012

Silverado 1500

Was approaching a red light at approx 30 miles per hour when the brake pedal simply "popped" and went all the way to floor. I was able to muscle it to a stop between the very little braking left, downshifting and the emergency brake. Mechanic determined all brake lines rusted and leaking.

- Media, PA, USA

Jan 012014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. When the brake pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to respond. The contact had to use extreme force in order to stop the vehicle. In addition, the brake warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who repaired the brake lines, but the failure persisted on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Ludlow , MA, USA

Sep 292014

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

Leaving from work at the greater cincinnati airport. Driving down the ramp to the stop sign at donaldson rd. While attempting to brake for the stop sign the brake pedal went to the floor causing the truck to go through the stop sign across the East bound lanes of donaldson road and finally stop before entering a ditch on the North side of the road. At first, I was going to have the car towed. I found that there was some residual braking left and I, slowly, drove the car approximately 12 miles to my house. The next day I took the car to the local shop and upon inspection was told that one of the brake lines had failed due to corrosion. I was also told that "all" brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. Total bill was over 1200 dollars. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado extended car/long bed 1500.

- Independence, KY, USA

Oct 042014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

2002 Chevy Silverado truck was sitting in driveway I was ready to leave pushed on the brake to put it in drive and the pedal went to the floor. Looked under the vehicle fluid everwhere. Not one leak or any sign before. I knew what it was because I know at least 4 other people with Chevy trucks and thier lines went, 1 had an accident running in to the rear of a car. I have a new line set but didn't get to in time. If thay hadn't failed in my driveway the outcome would have been intierly diderent with my son his friend and myself. One would think they would use a material to withstand the elements on brakes!!!!! my work truck truck is a 2001 Silverado so I checked it and there gone also. I would be willing to bet that most pepole fix the lines and don't report. To me this is a big problem.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brakes failed due to rusting brake lines.

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Sep 232014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The incident happened while driving home from toledo Ohio to home in white lake Michigan. My exit was normal when exiting the freeway. I applied brakes to begin slowing down. As I approached the end of the exit ramp the traffic light was red with other vehicles waiting. I applied the brakes harder and heard a popping noise. The brake pedal went to the floor. I tried to pump the brakes to get them to work to no avail. Rather than running in to stopped cars I ran my truck off the road. I was lucky that I was able to stop my truck without hitting the vehicles waiting for the light. I went online to review this and found there are numerous complaints. One comment from GM is that the vehicle will stop if a line ruptures. Not true. Also, since when are brake lines a maintenance issue and not a safety issue. My manual doesn't say replace brake lines every 20,00 miles or 5 years.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Sep 212014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Was leaving a paintball field parking lot. Was moving at idle speed of 5mph and went to slow down to hear someone yelling something. Pedal went to the floor. I continued to the stop sign and the pedal once again went straight to the floor. I had to drive 23.5 miles to get back home using the old school method of down shifting and applying the little bit of brakes I had left. ****very dangerous**** once I got home I checked my brake reservoir and it was half full. Under the truck inspection showed fluid from the drivers door all the back to the rear end. I could not see where the leak originated from. Will have to take to a mechanic and pay.

- Pierron, IL, USA