2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 12)

Aug 232014

Silverado 1500

Issue with the ABS brakes. Sometimes the ABS kicks in and doesn't allow you to stop.

- Laporte, IN, USA

Sep 032014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

At under 60,000 miles both brake lines from master cylinder were badly rusted. One line failed and the other was in imminent danger of failure. This is an extremely dangerous problem and Chevrolet has been resisting a recall for years. This truck was driven mostly in a non-salted roads state. It is unacceptable to have brake lines rusted through in under 60,000 miles. Chevy tries to cut costs and save a few pennies on a component that is critical to life safety and they refuse to make it right when their cost-cutting scheme fails. My second and last Chevy.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 022014

Silverado 1500

I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 4X4 pickup. My brake lines failed today and caused me to run into a parked car at work. My father has a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4X4 that he bought brand new and garage kept and still almost had a bad accident due to his brake lines failing 3 years ago. When I GM going to realize that brake lines are not normal wear and tear. I own multiple vintage Chevy cars that are between 25 and 37 years old with the original brake lines. Why is it GM is waiting for people to be killed due to these problems. I chassis wash my truck as much as possible and also have friends and family with Silverado is year close to mine. All have same issues. Its sad that older GM cars have survived better than these newer built models. Now tomorrow I am going to have to spend alot of money on a part that should not fail. Why is it that my exhaust system on my car has stainless steel parts but yet the one part that should be absolutely made from stainless steel is not! sad that my exhaust will be in great shape as my brake lines fail! I have owned GM cars and truck my whole life and will no longer buy GM products. I have multiple other issues that many, many other Silverado owners have. How can thousands of Silverado and other make of GM cars and truck have so many of the same problems and GM not recall them. My exhaust manifolds have 2 broken bolts causing an exhaust leak due to broken bolts! I have engines from the 1960's with factory manifolds still installed and no broken bolts. Put the damn american made steel mills back up and stop buying this cheap metal because for what most of us pay for our cars and truck the least GM can do is put quality parts in them. Offering a brake line kit to have installed in GM dealerships is not helping people that need there truck like I do daily. Recall the damn brake line problem models and fix them right!

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Aug 212014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the brakes failed and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard. The contact inspected the vehicle and discovered a brake fluid leak and that the brake lines were corroded. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 138,000.

- Mays Landing, NJ, USA

Aug 202014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Pulled out of parking lot at low speed and stopped to wait for a red light. While stopped with foot on brake pedal, brake pedal suddenly dropped to the floor. When light turned green I accelerated slowly and tested the brakes to find the stopping power of the vehicle reduced to near zero. Pulled over in a safe area after a few blocks and inspected vehicle to find fluid sprayed around front passenger wheel well and dripping from brake line. Suspect sudden brake line rupture had occurred. Decided vehicle was unsafe to operate and parked it awaiting tow.

- Danville, CA, USA

Jul 262014

Silverado 1500

I own a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The brakes failed while attempting to stop the vehicle in a 35mph zone. The brakes initially worked and then the pedal went to the floor. I could feel the ABS engage but not stop hitting a vehicle in front of me. When I exited the vehicle I could smell the brake fluid and observed fluid leaking from multiple locations. The air bags did not deploy. The driver of the vehicle sustained injuries. A police report was filed. The vehicle is currently being repaired by the manufactures dealer.

- Rockaway, NJ, USA

Jun 172014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Was trying to slow down while coming over a hill to a known stop light. Applied brakes and brake pedal went to the floor. No brakes. No warning light, no other indicator. Was able to come to a stop on the side of the road without hitting anyone. Puddle of brake fluid could be found under the truck. Had to replace all the brake lines as they had rusted out totally. Lucky no one was hurt, but if I had been closer into the city it wouldn't have been pretty.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Aug 022014

Silverado 1500

The contact owned a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the brakes failed while driving downhill. As a result, the vehicle was crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver was injured and the vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The speed was unknown. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Swanton, MD, USA

Jul 112014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the brakes failed after recently being replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact also stated that the same issue happened previously and the brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,000.

- Detriot, MI, USA

Jul 192014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Pedal went to the floor, rusted brake line, got to replace 3 of the lines...

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jul 182014

Silverado 1500

Rusted brake lines caused a near accident when the line broke, resulting in loss of braking abilities.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Jul 072014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake lines were heavily corroded and failed. No warning signs to make this problem identifiable or expected. The truck was immediately unsafe to drive. Both the front and rear lines between the master cylinder and ABS module failed, causing the truck to have no braking power whatsoever.

- Traverse City, MI, USA

Feb 172014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

We have replaced the driver side brake lines on my truck at least 3 times already in the last in the last year and a half. Luckily every time but one it was discovered before I pulled out of the driveway.

- Clinchco, VA, USA

Aug 162012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake line failure due to inferior, unsafe materials, subject to corrosion, used to manufacture brake lines. Brake line suddenly burst, luckily at very slow speed, while leaving a parking place. GM dealer "repaired" brake lines immediately, indicating that the breach was at a single corroded spot in the line. Approximately 1 year later, brake line, again, suddenly burst, again, luckily at very slow speed in a farm field. Same GM dealer replaced all brake lines, indicating that all brake lines were completely corroded. Brakes and steering are the most important safety systems on a vehicle; one cannot kill/injure one's self if the vehicle does not run, will not start or looks terrible. These essential safety systems should be constructed of noncorrosive materials, for pennies in extra cost to GM. GM has responded publicly that this is a wear and tear issue and these vehicle are simply "too old". this is a lame excuse for such an important safety system! please ask GM why this problem is not present with all makes and models of vehicles of a similar age.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Apr 212014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was driving and when I went to stop the brake pedal went to the floor and the truck took a long time to stop. The brake failure was caused by rusted brake lines which allowed the brake fluid to leak out. One line was rusted all the way through and several other were badly rusted.

- Chesterfield, MO, USA

Jul 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Went back up to a boat trailer pedal went all way to the floor! had no brakes pump pedal to have any brakes went to repair show had use emergency brake and pump brake pedal holiday week lucky somebody had parts also get use in! also pulled a 5th wheel weight of around 8,900pds before that lucky I wasn't towing it threw brown county and monroe res in Indiana are it would killed me and my family could not keep it slowed down have use my trailer brake on the 5th wheel if that could even stop use!

- Columbus , IN, USA

Jul 122013

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While pulling out of my garage, I stepped on the brake pedal and it went to the floor. I quickly discovered that one of my brake lines had ruptured. After inspecting my brake lines, I found extremely high amounts of rust throughout the exterior of the lines. The brake line that ruptured had rusted through and caused the brake failure. I have replaced the two lines that were rusted the worst and hope to replace them all in the near future. I do not feel that brake lines should rust all of the way through at this low of a mileage. This is an issue that GM needs to deal with on its trucks and cars as it could cause a very serious crash and possibly death to someone who is not familiar with the issue or how to check for it.

- West Harrison, IN, USA

Jul 072014

Silverado 1500

Brake line ruptured while pulling into parking space almost striking another parked car. Remaining brake lines are very rusted and will need replaced.

- Brownsville , PA, USA

Mar 122014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Pulling out of a gas station..break lines ruptured and I drifted out into the road before being able to stop. Car was able to stop with a lot of breaking force.

- Simsbury, CT, USA

Jan 172010

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brakes failed when I was driving, coming to a stop. At about 5 mph the pedal went to the floor and I lost all stopping control. I had the truck towed to a Goodyear shop who told me that the brake lines were corroded and one failed causing all pressure to go out. Upon further inspection, the entire brake system was corroded and they had to replace/rebuild the entire system. Total cost to fix the brakes was $2464.47.

- Norfolk, MA, USA