2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Dec 232013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

On the evening of December 23, 2013, while travelling on a Connecticut state road, I applied my brakes, as a vehicle was turning left ahead of me. The brake peddle went immediately to the floor. I realized a brake line had ruptured. I was about a mile from the automotive repair facility that I utilize. I was able to nurse the vehicle there, where it was subsequently repaired (brake line replaced). In the past, I would have taken the vehicle to the local dealership where it was purchased, but that dealership was one of many closed down by GM. The nearest dealership, in any direction is about 20 miles. Fortunately I have found an outstanding local independent automotive repair facility.

- Madison, CT, USA

Jun 062014

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

For several years, have been out time & expense of installing new park brake pads not needed, turning drums, tried replacing long brake cable under floor, pulled rear rotors several times & re adjusted park brake... 1 week later don't work again.. I have to put blocks under wheels for 3 years to keep truck from rolling down driveway.. live on a hill..Chevy don't need the tension on little bitty park gear in transmission....also have had to fix every Dec because safety inspection ends Dec, ,,neighbors have Ford & Dodge & theirs will stay in driveway..have no idea how much money & time spent on a GM blunder... why has their not been a recall " another cover up by GM executives "

- Burleson, TX, USA

May 282014

Silverado 1500

Instrument cluster went completely dead.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Jun 022014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

After exiting the off ramp of I264 in portsmouth, Virginia I sped up to approximately 35 mph and approached the next stop light. Upon applying pressure to the brake pedal no resistance was noted and the slowing of the vehicle was found negligible. I rear ended a vehicle in front of me at approximately 25 mph. Both cars involved in the accident were pulled into the median out of traffic. As I exited the vehicle I noticed fluid dripping from the truck frame at the forward hinge of the driver side door. The dripping fluid was brake fluid. I suspect a ruptured brake fluid line or tube had ruptured which caused the loss of braking power. There was no warning given by the vehicle's computer to warn of low brake fluid because the reservoir was still at the normal level. I believe corrosion of the brake lines was accelerated due to the use of salt treatments on the roads during the winter snow storms that have fallen in the past three years. Luckily nobody was seriously hurt and luckily this did not happen when I was exiting the interstate at a much higher rate of speed. Also the air bag did not deploy upon impact. These are two serious safety issues incurred in once incident to a truck which has less than 70K miles and 12 years old.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 242014

Silverado 1500

Brake problem with ABS. Vehicle did not stop correctly almost causing accident. After researching found recall for ABS wheel issue for other states but not Texas. Vehicle was manufactured in Canada.

- Garland, TX, USA

Apr 042012

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Original incident truck felt like it wasn't going to stop. Next incident was trying to stop and wasn't able to stop in time. Had to pull off the side of the road, regain composure, brakes were basically gone. Pedal to the floor to come to a slow stop, required many extra feet to come to a stop. Truck is parked in driveway due to expense to replace all 4 totally rusted out brake lines.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

May 272014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I was approaching a stop light at a speed of about 25 mph and stepped on my brakes to begin slowing down. The pedal went completely to the floor and I felt no braking. Luckily, I did not need to stop immediately, and there was no car in front of me. I began pumping the brakes and just holding the pedal down to the floor and there was slightly enough brake action to allow me to slow down a bit and pull off the road and into the parking lot of a service station. I got out of the truck and could see the trail of brake fluid I had left behind on the parking lot and could see brake fluid dripping from the brake line on the left side of the truck approximately underneath the frame below the driver side door. The service station has told me that all of the brake lines are corroded and need to be replaced. If I had needed to stop suddenly I would have crashed for sure as I had no warning whatsoever that this would happen. Very scary.

- Chardon, OH, USA

May 252014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

18 year old daughter came home complaining that brakes went to floor. Found hole in rusted brake line by the rear connector.

- Falston, MD, USA

Apr 242009

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake lines completely rusted out. Parking total failure. Rear caliper froze will not release. Frame has rust out holes.

- Egg Harbor Twp., NJ, USA

May 102014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

As I approached a stop sign after traveling about 30 mph and slowing down for the stop sign I press the brakes and it went to the floor and press them a second time and possible a third before crossing traffic and failing to stop. I miss hitting a car by inches. This was all on an uphill incline. I cross traffic and was able to stop in a church parking lot by using the parking brake. After about the fifth time applying the brakes the brake warning light come on. No warning until then. After inspection the brake line next to the drivers side had rupture. The line let a trail of brake fluid for about 200 yards. The brake fluid was checked at oil change service four days prior and was full. Now it is empty. This is a major failure that should be corrected before someone is killed. I though that there was a secondary system to stop if one half of the system failed. Apparently not!!!!!

- Muncy, PA, USA

Apr 272014

Silverado 1500

Started to leave house to go grocery shopping, started vehicle applied brake to out auto into gear, brakes pedal went to the floor, check fluid level was O.K. recheck braking, same result, no brakes. After checking notice signs of brake fluid at areas beneath vehicle at driver door. Called for tow truck the following morning. If I had gotten to hywy. Us 1. and this problem happen, I fear there would have been a terrible accident involving myself, or others. Waiting for word from auto shop of what the problem could be. This is very serious safety issue with this and other trucks.

- Oak Hill, FL, USA

Apr 162014

Silverado 1500

Coming to a stop light and lost all brakes. Further inspection revealed that rear brake lines are rusted through. All other lines are severely rusted. Including fuel lines.

- Coldwater , MI, USA

Apr 092014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Returning from fishing trip and applied brakes when coming up to a red light, brake pedal went almost to floor. Continue to drive it home (35miles) and little to no brakes upon turning in our driveway. Upon inspection, the brake line appears to be rusted and is leaking fluid.

- Water Valley, KY, USA

Mar 312013

Silverado 1500

Brake line busted while bleeding air out of system. Found all lines going to ABS block in center of truck were rusted completely through. This was not the first time this happened. Had same problem about year before on front brake line. I almost hit another vehicle in rear. I had to have truck towed to local repair shop were they fixed broke line.

- Nicholasville, KY, USA

Apr 242013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake lines blew out from corrosion. This has happened 3 times since April 2013. I was unable to stop on two separate red light occasions. Also having ABS problems. The ABS system breaks loose just about when the vehicle comes to a complete stop forcing me to let go and reapply brake quickly. My truck is undercoated also making this deadly problem more concerning. NHTSA should do its job and stop these death traps.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 132013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Started truck to hook up to a trailer at home. Backing up, and depressed brakes while backing, suddenly lost all brake control. I had no control to stop vehicle. Vehicle rolled to a stop while I pressed and pumped brakes with no affect. Rolled to stop. I then placed vehicle in park and exited to find brake fluid on ground. I then tried to slowly move vehicle into garage so as to raise jack up- for a further examination, but I had zero control over braking. In order to get vehicle onto concrete surface/garage I had to shift back and forth between neutral and drive until I limp the truck into garage but do so without ramming through the back wall as I had no control over brakes. Once in, I jacked up truck and I found one leak in one rusted metal brake line at a bend closest to left rear wheel. Sudden and total and complete loss of brakes.

- Farmersville, OH, USA

Nov 072013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Brake lights turned on and brakes went out.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Mar 282014

Silverado 1500

Without warning total brake failure. Luckily more road to go down. Brake line rusted through.

- Cordova, IL, USA

Mar 122014

Silverado 1500

Brake fluid leak, loss of brakes / failure due to brake line corrosion.

- Corpus Christi , TX, USA

Mar 062014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

Stepped on brake peddle at idle and pedal went to the floor. Upon taking it to the repair shop, found that the brake lines were completely rusted out and the caliper bleeders were rusted off. All lines, calipers, and two rotors had to be replaced - cost $2,091.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA