1.8

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012016

Silverado 1500

Lighting for gear and mileage indicator has been going out intermittently.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Jan 092016

Silverado 1500

While driving on the highway, the truck, for an unknown reason, shut down causing me to loose power steering and brake capability. I was able to shift into neutral and turn the key off and then back on again to re-start the truck. It has now happened several times and I have done the same thing each time to correct the problem. It happened once in 2002 then constantly 4-5 times a year and again today. GM has told me in the past that they don't know what would cause that issue. I could not get my local Chevrolet shop manager to give me a straight yes or no answer regarding whether my problem is consistent with the issues being experienced by effected GM models with ignition problems. I believe it may be due to the recalled ignition switches as I have had the electrical system looked at and no one can seem to find an issue that would cause the truck to shut off randomly at highway speeds and then turn right back over after shifting to neutral!! I believe that the current recall does not cover all of the vehicles that are truly affected. I have had my family in the truck on several occasions when this has happened and have been fortunate to not have had an accident to this point.

- Aumsville, OR, USA

Sep 262015

Silverado 1500

I pulled into driveway and put car in park, left engine running. Went to door of residence to get my kids. Kids went out to the car and were yelling fire! I seen the inside up in smoke. I reached inside to turn engine off. We then started pouring buckets of water into seat and on floor around the seat to try to prevent spread of the fire. I luckily put the fire out. Fire dept unhooked battery and removed melted plastic around seat. It seems a wire somehow shorted out beneath seat and caught the seat and floor on fire.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

Jan 202015

Silverado 1500

My car is old but it has been running fine, and I keep up with regular maintenance and oil change appointments. I came out of walmart after buying groceries and when I tried to start the car it sounded like it was trying to turn over, but it wouldn't actually start. After 30 minutes of sitting in the car trying to get it to start it finally started. I took the car to my regular mechanic and they could not find anything wrong with it. They cleaned the battery cables in hopes of relieving the problem. Now a week later it did it again 2 times in the same day.

- Las Cruces, NM, USA

Aug 012014

Silverado 1500

Ignition switch won't start engine. Replaced switch and had no improvement. Turning key several times may result in starting or not. There seems to be a delay in ignition when it does start. An on-line review shows I'm not the only one with this problem. I have safety concerns when I or my wife uses vehicle to shop and risks being subject to predators in parking lots when truck won't start.

- Camano Island, WA, USA

Jun 042014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while operating the vehicle, the driver side seat belt would suddenly retract and prevent the contact from moving. Also, the contact indicated that the ignition key became lodged in the ignition switch and could not be removed. In addition, the ABS sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the ABS pump motor was defective. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- Point Pleasant , WV, USA

Sep 032014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

When to use the horn in a traffic situation and nothing. No power at fuse box for horn stated by my mechanic.

- Pitcairn, PA, USA

Jun 082009

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving on the highway, the truck, for an unknown reason, shut down causing me to loose power steering and brake capability. I was able to shift into neutral and turn the key off and then back on again to re-start the truck. It has now happened several times and I have done the same thing each time to correct the problem. It happened once in 2009 and twice in 2010. Since then it has happened a few times per year at random times. GM has told me in the past that they don't know what would cause that issue. I could not get my local Chevrolet shop manager to give me a straight yes or no answer regarding whether my problem is consistent with the issues being experienced by effected GM models with ignition problems. I believe it may be due to the recalled ignition switches as I have had the electrical system looked at and no one can seem to find an issue that would cause the truck to shut off randomly at highway speeds and then turn right back over after shifting to neutral!! I believe that the current recall does not cover all of the vehicles that are truly affected. I have had my family in the truck on several occasions when this has happened and have been fortunate to not have had an accident to this point.

- West Harrison, IN, USA

Jun 012013

Silverado 1500 6-cyl

Engine stalls occasionally while driving, and put me in a dangerous situation. Fortunately I live in a small town has little freeways. Also the driver side seatbelt is stuck and I can not pull it out.

- San Angelo, TX, USA

Dec 192013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

On December 19th 2013 was at a class for work about 65 miles from home, when came out of class and truck would not start keep getting security light flashing in the information window. Later found out this cut the gas of from someone stealing the vehicle, but I had the original key to the truck. Had to have vehicle towed back to my home 65 miles away. A certified mechanic looked at the truck for me and said he believed he had fixed it by replacing the ignition wiring harness. Truck worked great until recent I was traveling down a the highway at 65mph and the key to the vehicle fell out of the ignition onto the floor, lucky for me the vehicle stayed running. I have recently been looking at the ignition and have found that any position that the key is in rather it be running or auxiliary the key can be removed from the ignition. Also the truck is back to showing the security light flashing in the information center and truck will not start. I have to leave the key in the on position and wait 10 minutes before the truck will start. This seems to be a problem with Chevy!!!!!!!

- Osceola, MO, USA

May 282014

Silverado 1500

Instrument cluster went completely dead.

- Brewster, NY, USA

Jun 132013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

When I started the engine the gas gauge went to full then back to 0. later when I went to use the tow/haul it would not work, it wasn't long before the odometer and shift indicator stopped working.

- Selah, WA, USA

Apr 012014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Silverado. Consumer writes in regards to ignition switch problem. The consumer stated he experienced a problem with the ignition switch, from the time the vehicle was new. The switch did not malfunction all the time, and the last time the vehicle was taken to the dealer, they were unable to duplicate the problem. On 2 separate occasions, the vehicle would shut off briefly and then come back on. There were times, when he tried to start the vehicle, it would turn over, but it wouldn't start.

- Alexandria, KY, USA

Jun 202012

Silverado 1500

The vehicle will not start due to a problem with security system or pass lock.I sometimes have to wait up to 2 hours before the vehicle will start.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Aug 092009

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph, the security system warning indicator illuminated and the engine stalled. When the contact restarted the engine the headlights and instrument panel lighting became dim. The vehicle was repaired by a certified mechanic with the replacement of the battery. The alternator was diagnosed and was functioning properly. The failure occurred repeatedly. The contact detected that the failures were contributed to the body control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 103,000.

- Beach City , OH, USA

Jun 052010

Silverado 1500

I smelled something burning but could not find any fire. Later I noticed the 5 sp ac fan switch on my 2002 Chevy Silverado was only working for speeds 3-5. when I went to the Chevy dealer they said this was a common problem and the wiring and blower resistor needed to be replaced.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 022010

Silverado 1500

Positive side post on ac delco battery corroded off and leaked sulfuric acid all over truck.

- La Crosse, WI, USA

Mar 082001

Silverado 1500

I have a 2002 Chevy 4X4 pickup that has intrmitent no brakes at slow speed 3 to 10 miles per hour it has hapened 3 times in the last 2 weeks. They tell me the front wheel speed sensors are to blame ?

- Galesville, WI, USA

Aug 212009

Silverado 1500

ABS recall for 2002 Chevy pickups issued in Sep 2005. Issue was while I was in slow moving 3 to 5 mph ABS system would activate and can cause a potential crash. Recall was to perform a inspection of the ABS system. Clean and apply a rust preventive and confirm sensor was receiving proper signal. My pickup was serviced at our local dealership in November 2005. This pickup was not having any issues with ABS system at that time of service. The dealership change out the passenger side sensor (due to rust) and performed the required maintenance on the driver side. Now 36,000 miles later I almost had two accidents in the same day due to the ABS system activation while stopping in slow speed. (I can detail the potential accident later) the ABS was only coming on at random and not all the time. I found out from the dealership and G.M. once the pickup was service the recall had been taken care any other issues if up to the owner to take care of. My complaint is in just cleaning and putting rust preventive in place is not a long term fix but only temporary fix and the safety issue still exist in the salt belt states. The test method is to hooking the system up to a diagnostic evaluation. This test showed the sensor was dropping off at a low RPM and causing the ABS to active. The issue can be caused by rust coating the sensor face or the receiver face. The dealership was planning to change the sensor before even testing to be defective. Because it is likely the sensor will be damaged in the removal process. My point is, this can and will happen again and is a high risk to damage. Property, persons. In this case the recall fix only lasted 36,000 miles. I only have 86,000 mile total on this pickup. My family and other families are at risk with out a permanant fix to this ABS system. Is a one time recall fix the normal with oem's on recall even thought the fix did not fully fix the recall issue? please review and get back with me.

- Hillsdale, MI, USA

Mar 102007

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I had previously filed a complaint that had the wrong incident date. The ODI number is 10218455.

- Rushville, IN, USA