3.4

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Oct 012007

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The cable holding the spare tire on my 2002 Silverado failed, my tire dropped from the vehicle and I initially thought that someone had ran into me. I looked in my rear view mirror and noticed my tire heading towards the side of the road. After retrieving the tire and then locating the other related hardware, I examined the cable and it reminded me of a previous failure I had on a cable that supports the tailgate in the open position. When the cable failed on the tailgate, I took my truck to the local dealership and they replaced failed cable, but let me know that there was a recall on the cables and would be asked to return and both cables would be replaced. I was called and the new cables were installed. I was told the failures had to do with a zinc coating either used or not used. I was curious if the same issue could apply to the failure of the cable that holds the spare time?

- Battle Ground, WA, USA

May 202006

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I own a 2002 Chevy truck that had the tailgate cables recalled. The same cable material was used to hold up the spare tire but was not recalled. After only 4 years of service this cable failed releasing the spare tire into traffic after doing damage to the back of my truck breaking wires and plastic parts. Thank goodness no one was hurt. I had to retrieve the spare tire from the ditch. I have not repaired the damage as of yet because I feel it should be fixed by GM. This seems to me to be a more serious problem than the tailgate cables.

- Mchenry , IL, USA

Apr 292003

Silverado 1500 4WD

My 2002 Chevy Silverado has a no start problem. The truck has always started on first use but after it has been driven and shut off, many times it does not restart. It has happened in all types of weather and and even if only runs for a short period. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. after the truck sits for about 2 hours, it usually starts again. I have taken it into the Chevy dealerand the starter was replaced. This did not cure the problem. Several months ago they replaced the parking switch and connectors. The problem is still occurring and more often. I have taken it to the dealer at least 5 other times and they cannot identify the problem. I cannot drive the truck without worrying that I will be stranded everytime I turn it off.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Dec 272002

Silverado 1500

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. **dimsii IVOQ entry posted after 12/12/02 cut over to artemis**770840

- Worcester, MA, USA

Feb 242003

Silverado 1500

Vehicle experienced poor quality and safety issues.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 142002

Silverado 1500

Dimmer switch would get hot when used. Dealer notified and informed consumer that nothing could be found. Consumer stated dash panel dimmer switch wheel and surrounding area gets hot when the wheel is turned to its lowest setting without turning the panel lights off.

- Rydal, GA, USA