2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

Jan 012010

Silverado 1500

Frame rust entire frame is rusted away from the can back including cross members holding up fuel tank.

- Charlton, MA, USA

Sep 262015

Silverado 1500

I pulled into driveway and put car in park, left engine running. Went to door of residence to get my kids. Kids went out to the car and were yelling fire! I seen the inside up in smoke. I reached inside to turn engine off. We then started pouring buckets of water into seat and on floor around the seat to try to prevent spread of the fire. I luckily put the fire out. Fire dept unhooked battery and removed melted plastic around seat. It seems a wire somehow shorted out beneath seat and caught the seat and floor on fire.

- Moss Point, MS, USA

Jun 202012

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving 60mph when construction cones brought traffic to one lane. As I began to apply my brakes, I could feel my foot going to the floor and I was not slowing at all. I tried the emergncy brake, and also no braking occured. I managed to drive onto the medium, and luckily was able to avoid all the "construction junk" that littered that area. After a very long time, I was able to safely maneuver to a safe stop. When I spoke with the mechanic, he told me there were no brake lines.

- Wolcott, NY, USA

Oct 152008

Silverado 1500

I am writing regarding the very poor brake life and performance failure on my 2002 Chevrolet pickup, 1500 series purchased new from a local dealer. At 19,500 miles the brakes were diagnosed (on 1-15-09) by the dealer as needing complete overhaul, a cost of $571. The problem was noticeable at 12,000 miles by excessive pedal travel, the same with the emergency brake. No action was taken or notice of brake wear indicated by the dealer when notified. By 17,000 miles the brakes were noisy and when informed the dealer said my rear rotors were rusty from low use and I should consider a replacement. Unable to believe my brakes were worn out ( I'm 65 years old and have never had a vehicles' brakes wear out any where near this mileage) I decided to drive it more often to remove the rust. During this time my teenage daughter, with me as a passenger, nearly hit a semi unexpectedly blocking our lane, because the brakes worked very poorly. This was in the fall of 08. In November and December 08, I wrote to the dealer requesting cost sharing for brake repair. No response.. then, in late December I wrote to GM, customer affairs, in detroit, mi. Requesting cost sharing due to premature wearout. They requested the cost estimate on 1-15-09 and then refused or denied any assistance based on "low use". I am well aware of a broad problem with early brake wear on 2001 to 2004 (admitted by service reps at the dealer) light duty GM trucks, mostly due to rusty rotors, especially on the rears. This is further evidenced by the dealer estimate which showed expensive replacement "ceramic" pads, which were not original equipment. The dealer also admitted that at one time they tried to add a "kit" to shield the rear rotors from salt spray. These are all evidence of defective parts, something that should be covered by warranty regardless of the vehicles age or frequency of use. Or covered by a recall. Your website shows thousands of complaints on this item. Please add mine.

- Perry, MI, USA

Sep 132003

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

We have a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado extended cab truck. The tracks that the front seats slide on stick out very far in the back. They are made of metal, and they do not have any guards on them. My four year old son climbed in the back seat and hit his knee on the metal track. It cut his knee. This has happened several times. I have even cut my hand on these tracks when I am cleaning out the truck. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer, and the tracks have plastic covers over them. Chevrolet needs to make some plastic covers to put over these tracks. They are dangerous. I am printing this complaint and mailing it to you, along with pictures of the tracks. I will also submit this over the internet.

- Lake City, AR, USA