2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

May 132016

Silverado 1500

Vehicle is presently at the dealership for the fifth time. While driving with cruise, when changing lanes after turn signal is used the cruise shuts down. On several occasions while in the middle of a turn the dash lights flash, locks flip up N down, steering wheel jerks back N forth then vehicle dies. The incident that is reason for being in the shop now is, while in a parking lot, steering locked N unlocked, door locks again flipped up N down, vehicle died with no power. Could not unlock the vehicle, no power what so ever, key would no turn. Eventually I heard a psst noise and the power came back. The previous times taken to the dealer, I'm always told, cannot duplicate. This is a danger to me, my family. After being a faithful GM fan for over 40+ years they have lost this guy to another make of vehicle, especially after reading so many of the same complaints, as I, without resolve. They have lost my trust.

- Poplar Bluff, MO, USA

Jun 192014

Silverado 1500

I purchased the vehicle, brand new in may of 2014. The first malfunction of the vehicle was June 19 2014. The steering wheel, ignition, and cylinder remained locked and I was restrained from starting vehicle I contacted Chevrolet roadside assistance in which they were no assistance.I was able to start car after aprox 30min. The second malfunction was in March 2015. My truck turned off while driving on the freeway in the fast lane causing loss of power steering, speed and all functions of the vehicle. Onstar and highway patrol were contacted and highway patrol assisted in pushing vehicle to the shoulder. The third incident was July 30. Immediately after taking my truck into paradise Chevrolet for an oil change. A gas attendee noticed I was leaking oil. The oil cap had not been tightened causing oil leakage. The most recent event was August 11,2015. My vehicle turned off once again while being driven on the highway with my husband and five month old daughter in it, causing loss of power steering, speed and all functions of the truck. The vehicle did restart aprox.20min after.however, when restarted the truck made a noticeably shakey motion. Both events in which the vehicle turned off while driving were followed shortly after paradise Chevrolet of ventura ca "upgraded software", without my knowledge. Both times I went in for an oil change and I was informed after the fact that they had upgraded software/ preformed a "recall".

- Oxnard, CA, USA

May 202015

Silverado 1500

While driving, slowed the vehicle down to start a decent in the road, once vehicle reached level ground, I pushed the accelerator pedal, and vehicle would only rev up, would not got forward, while in drive. This continued until the vehicle was close to 5 mph, then vehicle started moving as the accelerator pedal was pushed. This has happened on several times, and the dealer states that they cannot duplicate the occurrence. Tried to record the occurrence, but with the constant turning of the steering wheel, makes it hard to record for proof.

- Liberty, WV, USA

Mar 242015

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

The vehicle ignition turned off while driving (vehicle in motion) causing the power steering to fail. This has happened three times in the past 3 weeks. GM does not list this model as part of its recall and when I contacted GM they recommended taking it to a dealer and having it repaired at my expense.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 142015

Silverado 1500

I was going North when a vehicle suddenly stopped in front of me. I braked as quickly as possible, the 2014 Chevy Silverado that I was driving only slowly came to a stop. Unfortunately, I rearended another vehicle. Thankfully I had not gotten up to the speed limit (30mph) and was only going 20mph. My truck would not brake quickly. No screeching tires, no black marks on the road. The stop was so slow that I had time to turn the steering wheel and only damage part of my front end. The grill, bumper, and hood were smashed in. No airbags came out of the truck, and my onstar service sensor did not go off. After colliding with the vehicle my 2014 Chevy shut off by itself. I had the brake still depressed & put the truck into park.

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jan 142015

- Fort Smith, AR, USA

Sep 182014

Silverado 1500 4WD 6-cyl

While moving from a stop the truck sometimes lags in acceleration which may cause the operator to depress the accelerator further than required to enter traffic. This condition also may cause a short acceleration delay when pulling into traffic that can be unexpected by the operator. I have been surprised many times by this operator disconnect accelerating from a stationary position. After driving my new truck 900 miles I investigated the accelerator pedal assembly bracket to find that the entire bracket is not properly fastened structurally to the fire wall by design. I inspected my truck on 12/23/14 and found this problem, the accelerator pedal bracket flex on my truck looks to be ~3/4" to 1" before the electronic linkage engages. The pedal tip-in engagement has to flex the mounting bracket before the electronic acceleration switch engages. I can't believe the GM engineering and design team's would approve of such a flimsy mounting bracket for this important part of basic motor vehicle operation. I feel over time and usage that this bracket may completely fail as currently designed. I could shim and install additional hardware to correct this safety issue, but I feel this design issue should be addressed with GM before someone has a crash or worst.

- Kittery Pt., ME, USA

Oct 302014

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

I started hearing some ticking. And no big deal the next day the motor just vibrated and them stopped accelerating, started rattling. Freaked me out big time, I've only had the vehicle for about 2 months. I'm no mechanic, but this ain't normal. I fear the worst.

- Temple Terrace, FL, USA

Oct 152014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

Drove home from dealer on highway, very noticeable pulsing vibration felt in gas pedal once I hit 65mph. Vehicle also "shakes" at a constant rate at 50mph, and more violently at 82-85mph. Drove up to 500 miles per dealers direction, problem still exists and has not gone away at all.

- Shelby Township, MI, USA

Sep 172014

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2014 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact shifted the vehicle into park and the vehicle resumed normal operation. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 700.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Sep 022013

Silverado 1500 8-cyl

The forward collision alert system is not safe. I have had this go off on me over 100 times in 25,000 miles and almost causing an accident a few times. The led on the dash will flash and the seat will vibrate causing you to react thinking you are getting ready to hit something. This occurs in 3 situations: 1) approaching an underpass while the sun is shining into the windshield, which is daily for me during my commute. 2) in a lane on the highway closest to the barrier wall, it thinks you are going to hit it head on I guess. 3) on a 2 lane side road with approaching cars are the are passing by on your drivers side. I have not been able to detect if this is due to the sunshine or head lights. So this causes a major alert reaction to you each time, this is a big safety issue as a reaction to nothing but alerts can cause an accident in itself.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Jan 302014

Silverado 1500 4WD 8-cyl

2014 Chevrolet Silverado. Consumer writes in regards to malfunction of pedal adjustment. The consumer stated the cargo light button and pedal adjustment button did not work, only a day after purchasing the vehicle. The consumer and her husband then decided to take a drive. When her husband put the truck in reverse, and like he always did, he slowly took his foot off the brake, and let the truck idle backwards. However, when he did, the brake pedal immediately adjusted up for a very short person and the accelerator pedal went to the floor, and the vehicle shot out of the garage very fast. The consumer was informed both pedals adjusted together, but that wasn't the way it seemed. He immediately tried to hit the brake, but it was adjusted up so high, he couldn't get his foot on it, until they were almost through the carport and the vehicle struck one of the steel posts of the carport, doing several thousands dollars of damage. The next morning, the vehicle was towed to the dealer, for an inspection. The next day, the dealer called, stating they were unable to find a problem. Also, the navigation system would not save an address. Updated 03/27/14

- Havana, IL, USA

Feb 252014

Silverado 1500

I pulled out of a parking lot on to a city street and pressed the gas pedal a little, planning to get up to about 25 mph because there was a red light a block away. The truck responded as if I had floored the pedal. I took my foot off of the pedal and the truck kept accelerating at full throttle. I hit the brakes thinking the cruise control had gone nuts, but hitting the brakes would not turn it off. It kept accelerating with the tach over 5000. I shifted to neutral and the engine speed dropped down to idle. The light turned green and I shifted back to drive and the engine immediately started accelerating again at full throttle. I put it back in neutral, moved over to the shoulder and turned the key off. Then I started the engine again and the problem disappeared. I'm 72; if my wife had been driving by herself, she probably would have had a serious wreck. The truck is a 2014 Silverado, bought 4 weeks ago, 6 cylinder work truck.

- Georgetown, TX, USA