2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500:

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Owner Comments

May 042016

Silverado 1500

The contact owned a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V651000 (air bags, seat belts) and 16T016000 (tires). Prior to receipt of the recall, while driving approximately 50 mph, the contact's vehicle was T-boned on the driver side. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. Injuries were sustained and medical attention was required. The vehicle was towed to a collision center and destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Corpus Crispi, TX, USA

Sep 262016

Silverado 1500

Subject vehicle was traveling South and stopped at a red light in the left lane at an intersection of two 4 lane highways. There was a semi truck stopped beside it in the right lane that proceeded to go and turn right on the red light. When the semi truck started moving, driver of subject vehicle thought the light had changed and proceeded South and struck the driver side of another truck that was traveling East through the intersection. Driver suffered head injury resulting in paralysis. Air bags did not deploy. VIN indicates vehicle is subject to recall #16V651 (airbag sensor software defect). Owner says no notice has been received.

- Sumner, GA, USA

Sep 232016

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 55 mph, another vehicle failed to obey a stop sign. As a result, the contact crashed into the passenger side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the front driver's side seat belt failed to retract. The contact sustained back, neck, leg, arm, and head injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the scene to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V651000 (air bags, seat belts). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 14,000.

- East Brewton, AL, USA

Aug 202016

Silverado 1500

While on a dirt road driving at a slow speed, the side curtain airbags deployed. The vehicle did not hit anything and no other damage occurred. GM sent a 3rd party to evaluate the vehicle and declared the warranty void since we had installed a 4" lift kit. There is currently a recall for takata airbags on this particular truck but GM says this is unrelated. This vehicle was purchased new in March of 2016 and had 5089 miles when this incident occurred. How can GM deny this claim. Shouldn't they have to prove that the lift kit caused the deployment if that is their reason for denial? no where in the warranty information does it state installing a lift kit can cause the side air bags to deploy. No where on the information provided from the lift kit manufacturer does it state your warranty could be void if you install the kit. This isn't right. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

- Craig, CO, USA

May 282015

Silverado 1500

The vehicle was involved in a full frontal collision with another vehicle when the other vehicle entered the roadway. The 2015 suffered extensive front damage and was declared a total loss. The airbags did not deploy. GM was contacted about the none deployment. GM sent a representative to investigate the none deployment. After the investigation GM notified me that the airbag system functioned properly and that there wasn't any problems with the airbags not deploying. I kept all correspondence from GM because I felt that there was a problem with the system. This vehicle was listed in a recent recall from GM concerning airbags not deploying.

- Carthage, MS, USA

Jul 032016

Silverado 1500

The vehicle was a total loss. Loss control while avoiding a deer. Slid into ditch. Hit a driveway entrance. Was airborne approx. 15 yards. Nose dived into the ground and went back across the ditch into a field, turned left and went into a wooded area of pines. Left front fender made contact with a pine ( about eight inches thick ) partially up rooting and continued on to wedge between two pines. Air bags failed to deploy and the seat belt tighten up so tight that I had to use a fairly large screw drive, that I had in the center console, to beat the release in order to unlock the seat belt. With the vehicle getting airborne and nose diving into the ground and the impact of the left front fender into the tree, the air bags should have deployed. The vehicle was traveling South East on a highway it was approx. 9:30 pm.

- Crawford, GA, USA

May 032015

Silverado 1500

I was stationary, waiting for on coming traffic to clear so I could turn left when I was hit from behind by a vehicle doing at least 70. I was thrown into on coming traffic where I was then hit in the front. The cab filled with a white powder like smoke but the air bags never deployed. My truck was totaled on a fm road where I received internal injuries which I'm stilling trying to get healed. Accident happened on May 3, 2016

- Poteet, TX, USA

Feb 152016

Silverado 1500

I was involved in an accident on 1/15/16 in which I was sideswiped by another vehicle. Upon impact, I had no brakes and no steering control. This caused me to rear end another vehicle and hit a tree head on. The airbags never deployed. I was unable to stop the vehicle or control it. I could have been killed or killed someone else. I am very concerned. I have had the truck in the shop on several occasions with electrical issues, yet the dealership could not find anything or it was minor corrections. I have been very concerned with the electronics of this vehicle since I bought the truck in August 2015. The insurance company totaled the truck.

- Henderson, TX, USA

Jun 222015

Silverado 1500

The contact owns a 2015 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 14 mph on a gravel road, both the driver and passenger side air bags deployed. The contact and the passenger sustained injuries. The contact required medical attention. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was caused by the rough road and that the vehicle functioned as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 9,300.

- Philipsburg, PA, USA

May 252015

Silverado 1500

I was stopped at a red light and struck from behind by another smaller vehicle pushing me into a minivan in front of me. On initial impact, the drivers seat was dislodged from the mounting frame. When I hit the minivan in front of me, the airbags did not deploy and my shoulder seat restraint did not engage causing my eye to strike the steering wheel. I have nerve damage as a result of the seat belt not engaging and the airbags not deploying. The vehicle sustained enough damage, including frame damage, that it was considered a total loss. It was 6 weeks old at the time of the incident. I was the only person in the accident who required medical attention. I believe the seat mounting failed, the airbags failed to properly deploy and the shoulder restraint significantly failed. I have pictures indicating the seatbelt fully extended, but did not engage, and will no longer retract. State farm is holding the vehicle pending a possible investigation by NHTSA.

- Brookhaven, GA, USA