2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 5 of 8)

Feb 162009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the dual climate control on the air conditioning/ heating system failed on an intermittent basis; when he had the heat on, one side would blow hot air and the other side cold air and the same failure occurred when the air conditioner was on. He had to drive onto the emergency lane, turn off the engine, and re-start the vehicle. The dealer refuse to inspect the vehicle since the warranty was no longer valid. The electrical connector on the floorboard would also fail causing the fan to stop working; the heating system/air conditioning system would not function without the fan. He replaced the connectors at his expense twice and the connector failed again. He called the manufacturer and a representative told him that they could not assist him. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 61,000. The failure mileage was approximately 50,000.

- Red Oak, OK, USA

Aug 102009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado that has 2 main issues with truck. The first on is dealing with the air condition system. The relay for the fan motor directly under the dash burnt, and after doing research on the computer I found that this was common with this year model Chevy. I called the Chevrolet hot line number and there were no recalls on this part. I then went to the dealership and found out that they had replacement parts in stock due to the frequency of the part being purchased. This part was replaced and 2 months afterwards the air conditioning and heat went out again, but was not the same part. This time the fan motor was diagnosed as the problem. I have not fixed this part due to myself not feeling it is my obligation to spend several hundred dollars fixing stuff that is common throughout truck of the same year and make. This part that was replaced got very hot and smoked when going out. There is definitely a safety issue with this part catching on fire and my child not able to ride in my vehicle during hot summer months due to parts messing up constantly. By the way no fuse every burn up in this process until after fan motor went out. The second issue I have is the instrument cluster on my truck. The engine hours meter has reset twice now which wasn't a big deal, but the gear selection on the dash is now starting to not work properly. I recently went to leave from work and went putting the truck in drive the indication on the dash stayed in park. The truck was in gear though because I didn't realize that this had happened until after getting on the road. I pulled over and went back to park with the shifter. After doing so the indication worked. I am afraid that this will start happening more frequent along with the engine hours clearing. I am sure something else is to follow that could be major to the drive train due to the excessive electronic technologies on vehicles now. Thank you for looking into these problems.

- Sulphur, LA, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speedometer on my 2005 Chevrolet Silverado quit working. It is pegged on over 120 mph when not moving. Sometimes moves but on the average it displays 60-70 mph faster than actual speed.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Oct 152009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Vehicle speedometer is inoperative. At highway speeds reading is 0 mph, or speedometer is stuck above 65 at a dead stop.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Nov 262009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I own a Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 extended cab and the speedometer sticks and says im going 100mph when im barely even rolling it seems to happen when the outside temp got below 30 degrees F that my speedometer would stop working. When it warmed up 10-15 degrees it would start working again. GM needs to recall this due to it can result in a accident and can be fatal if I don't know how fast I am going as well as it is illegal! if it does result in a ticket GM will be paying for it- GM claims they stand by their product and so be it they need to fix it! this is a safety problem. And needs to be covered 100% free of charge!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 202009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 Chevy Silverado with 46,000 miles speedometer stuck at 60 mph and won't move.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 152009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 ls 2wd Chevy Silverado speedometer sticks at one speed or shows incorrect speed. This is a daily issue.

- Pasco, WA, USA

Nov 272009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado driving down the road I noticed a burning smell coming from my heater vents so I shut the truck off and jump out well in a nut shell my blower fan motor wiring harness had caught on fire I have heard that this is a problem in just about every GM truck so I ask what will it take for GM to recall this problem will it take someone to die for it to happen you be the judge.

- Wynne, AR, USA

Feb 152006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 Silverado pickup. Heater fan motor resistor melting wires too a point that the wires couldn't be touched without being burned. Warranty expired but problem exists. Told dealership that I thought it was a safety issue. Ie: if combustible materials were to come into contact there would most likely be a fire.

- Cameron, 00, USA

Oct 162009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The speedometer shows a lower speed than what I am actually traveling. I was ticketed for going 31 mph over the speed limit when the gauge showed I was going the speed limit.

- Dickinson, TX, USA

Oct 092009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

This is not a rare complaint. Factually, several retailers on ebay sell discussed replacement parts; and they reveal the burnt, burning, and or melted parts in the parts auctions descriptions! this should be a recalled item! 1. while operating vehicle, driver & three passengers smelled something burning or fire within the passenger/cab compartment of our 2005 Silverado, followed shortly, within 2 minutes of air conditioning blower assembly failure. That is, we smelled something burning and the air conditioning quit working. Upon further investigation, removal of the air conditioning "resistor" (P/N "52408586, 42/04 slovania") revealed a severely burnt and melted [male] "resistor" connector and [female] wiring harness connector (refer to (3) for resistor and harness replacement part numbers). (2) the failure occurred once, catastrophically; consequently, a vehicle fire ensues; and, at a minimum, vehicle components remain damaged beyond repair. It is important to note, however, fuses fail to prevent said fire or damage. (3) replaced air conditioning blower "resistor GM# 8901-9088 [and] connectorres-blo #1586-2656; note: Replacement parts do not appear to be updated or revised; situation likely to reoccur.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 202008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 Chevy 1500 Silverado - heater blows hot air on drivers side, cold on passenger side - happens without notice - have spent around $300 (+) dollars trying to fix this. Was told by GM service tech it was the heater motor resistor wiring harness, it burns out the resistor. I replaced both, the resistor burned out again and the wiring harness was fried again. The internet is full of these reports - a recall is needed - this condition is not safe. Thank you for your help.

- Okmulgee, OK, USA

Sep 212009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Wiring harness caught on fire under dash.

- Peabody, MA, USA

Sep 102009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The wires leading to A/C blower are shorting out one at a time. It started with the climate control set on hi stopped working then went on down to 4. could possible short out and cause a fire. I have not yet purchased the new parts to replace looked online first to see if there had been a recall for this problem.

- Georgetown, TN, USA

Sep 102009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

For quite some time, our 2005 Chevrolet Silverado would have an odor and the #5 position on the fan for heater would stop working, then start again. Recently it completely stopped at all levels. We can no longer circulate heat or ac in the vehicle. We checked the blower motor resistor unit, it had melted and also melted the wiring harness up under the dash. We now have to replace both units at great expense to us., not to mention this could have caused a fire...we usually have some grandchildren strapped in car seats...which would have been quite dangerous to them, had it caught on fire. This has been going on for some time, not just the mileage indicated.

- Otway, OH, USA

Sep 072009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Invalid speedometer readings, odometer works.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Aug 192009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 6-cyl

Odometer stopped working as well as the blower motor control switch on my 2005 Chevy Silverado, 4.3L V6 4WD truck.

- North Reading, MA, USA

Aug 042009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While parked the blower motor for the climate system continued to run. The keys were removed, engine off. Upon discovery I could not turn off the blower. I decided to take it to a shop. Before I could leave the parking lot the cab was full of a thick white smoke. I was able to shut the engine off and disconnect the battery before a fire started. The dealership said it was a common problem. There is no recall on it though as the dealer is not reporting the occurrences to GM so nobody is aware of the frequency. An easy internet search returns many occurrences of similar problems.

- Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, 00, USA

Jun 052009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Fan motor resistor melted causing plastic to burn and smoke badly part cost $100 for the wiring $80 for the resistor $160 labor. With all the tax dollars given to GM they were not willing to help with this known problem. They said they change these everyday. There was actually two of them sitting on the parts counter ready to be replaced for someone else when I walked in. This is a true safety problem and we would like some help.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Apr 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The wiring harness to the blower motor resistor in my 2005 Chevrolet started smoking, from excess heat within the wiring to the harness or resistor. I have since replaced the harness and resistor, but it still does the same thing. Hopefully this faulty wiring harness is the only one in these models.

- Santa Rita, GU, USA