2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 6 of 7)

Apr 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I am the owner of 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 truck. About a month or less ago my speedometer quit working stays on 120 or 0 whether it is parked or while driving it. We called the dealer that we bought this truck new from and the maintenance man said it was under warr up to 70,000 miles which my mileage is 46711. The next day we recv a call saying it is not under warr because of our VIN # is not covered. The dealer gave me a # to call GM motors and I have talked with several people there and all are saying the VIN# is not good only some VIN#'s are under the 7 year or 70,000. I drive my truck to work only, do monthly maint on it through walmart, I feel this is a safety concern for me since I feel it a defect on the truck and either GM or the dealer needs to replace this part@ their cost not mine. They can not give me a reason why only some VIN#S are covered. I have checked on the internet and it shows alot of people with the same problem as mine. Hope you can help me with this thank you.

- Melbourne, AR, USA

Apr 122009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The speedometer stopped working on a highway trip. It just gradually goes to 0 mph. After restarting it works for a while than fails again.

- Shichshinny, PA, USA

Jan 152009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My 2005 Chevrolet Silverado has a defective speedometer. It started around 45,000 miles and only happened a few times. Now it happens about every other day and the only way to reset it is to stop the vehicle and turn it off and start it back up. This only resets it about 5mph each time I restart the vehicle so I will have to do it as many as 10 to 15 times to get it back to zero.

- Junction City, WI, USA

Jan 052009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Oil pressure gauge would work sometimes, and sometimes it didn't. eventually the gauge completely quit working.

- Maysville, NC, USA

Mar 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 20 mph on normal road conditions, smoke expelled from the instrument panel without warning. Immediately, the driver pulled over to inspect underneath the hood and disconnected the battery. Suddenly, flames erupted from the instrument panel. The fire department was called to the scene and extinguished the fire. A report was filed. There were no personal injuries or property damage. The vehicle was completely destroyed and towed to a collision center. The cause of the failure has not been determined. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure and current mileages were 55,000.

- Webster, TX, USA

Feb 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the speedometer would malfunction intermittently. While driving 20 mph, the speedometer would indicate that she was driving 60 mph. When the vehicle would be parked, the speedometer would indicate that the vehicle was being driven at 120 mph. The failure would usually correct itself or reset after a couple of hours; however, it recently became stuck and failed to reset. The dealer could not assist because the vehicle was outside of the warranty. The manufacturer has not been notified. The current mileage was approximately 64,000 and failure mileage was approximately 63,800.

- Thompson, CT, USA

Jan 152008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speedometer was working fine then started to speed up when I wasn't. it happen everyday. I try to get my cruise set before it starts so not to get a ticket for speeding. Dealer told me to call GM, who in so many words said I would have to pay for the repair, I don't think that a part like this is not like a battery or tires that wear out over a giving amount of time. GM should fix the problem at no cost to the owner. I have about 46,000 miles on the truck. Just got the prices last week, $400 to $500 to fix. Lets say it's not fixed yet.

- Bethel, NC, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I have a Silverado 2005 pickup. My speedometer goes to 120 mph just driving down my driveway.

- Dora , AL, USA

Aug 152008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The speedometer in my 2005 Silverado acts erratically. Reads incorrect speed. Will stop on 80mph when vehicle is standing still. I can no longer rely on the speedometer to accurately display current speed. From online research I found that this is an ongoing problem, since 2003. My truck has approximately 66,000 miles on it currently. The problem first started at around 60,000 miles. It creates an unsafe condition, since I can not determine the correct vehicle speed.

- Cedar Glen, CA, USA

Jan 122007

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 35 mph, the speedometer displayed 75 mph. When the vehicle came to a complete stop, the speedometer displayed 45 mph. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and they stated that there was a recall on the 2003 and 2004 Silverado's pertaining to the speedometer, but there were no recalls on his 2005 vehicle. There were no repairs performed on the vehicle and the speedometer began operating properly a couple of days later. Approximately one year later, while driving 35 mph, the speedometer displayed 80 mph. The dealer and manufacturer were not notified of the failure. The current mileage was 58,000 and failure mileage was 50,000.

- Senatobia, MS, USA

Jan 072009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving at an unknown speed, the driver noticed that the speedometer was stuck on 128 mph. The following day, she noticed that the speedometer was still registering 128 mph and the vehicle was not running. The contact has an appointment at her local dealer for the vehicle to be inspected. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised to take the vehicle to the dealer for inspection. The manufacturer stated that no compensation would be made because there were no current recalls for the vehicle. The failure mileage was 35,000 and current mileage was 35,200.

- Elmirage, AZ, USA

Nov 242008

Speedometer failure.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Dec 312008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving to the store and when I looker at my speedometer I was doing 110mph and when I came to a stop it displayed 60mph that happened 12/31/08 at 70,000 miles. So far my problems with my 2005 Silverado at 20,000 miles I had the steering wheel clump fixed by packing it with grease now the problem is back, at 60,000 miles my fuel pump failed on a road trip after I started to fill hesitation like starving for gas- cost$ $700, at 65,000 miles the catalytic converter was plugged up the engine light came on and would blink and would hesitate really bad when you would punch it into passing gear. It didn't cost me anything because of the emission law 70,000 or 7yrs, and it just turned over 70,000. But I still love my truck and I always drive a Chevy. That fuel pump could be fixed easy if they would put a access door in the truck bed because GM fuel pumps are junk, same thing happened to my Chevy astro.

- Corona, CA, USA

Dec 222008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My speedometer reads about 20 mph faster than I'm actually driving, and reads 20 -25 mph when at a dead stop. I know this was a warranty fixable item on the 03 and 04 models, why not on the 05's?

- St Johns, AZ, USA

Dec 082008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 Silverado instrument panel fails. The first replacement was at 23K miles (Mar 07). The engine hours kept resetting. Now my vehicle has 43K miles and all gauges are faulty. The gas gauge goes from full to empty and back regardless of the amount of gas in the tank. The engine hour keeps resetting back to zero and the temp gauge moves from hot to cold and back. The same thing is happening on our office vehicle. According to GM special bulletins this is covered for 03 and 04 models using the same ipc. Why isn't this covered for 05 models as well? if there is an electrical problem shorting out the ipc it needs to be fixed by GM and not the consumer. This is only one of many problems I've had with this 2005 model.

- Eagle River, AK, USA

Sep 012008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

One morning it just didn't work. Now it works sometimes. It doesn't work when the truck starts up, then starts working after I stop about 40 miles down the road. Sometimes works, sometimes it says im doing 120 mph or 0 mph. It has a mind of its own. I have to use my gps so I know how fast im going. I think Chevrolet should step up and correct this problem. I took it to the dealer and they said there is no recall so I have to pay to fix this problem.

- Lake Elsinore, CA, USA

Sep 142008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

When taking off from being stopped at a red light I noticed my tachometer & speedometer both bouncing erratically. Tachometer still stays in between 4 and 5 thousand except when engine is off. Speedometer is any where from 30 above to 30 below actual speed. I have been stopped twice for speeding while trying to maintain a constant speed with the flow of traffic since gauges do not work properly. One of the officers who stopped me did not write a ticket because he owns a Silverado as well and his speedometer had been out for over 2 months also. Vehicle has less than 80,000 miles on it.

- Glen Rose, TX, USA

Nov 242008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speedometer not working properly. Have 65,000 miles and it is registering 120 mph and at stop signs 60 mph. Dealer said notice was only good for 2003-2004 models - dealer said the 2005 models were fixed--that is not so and I'm proof. Very disappointed that Chevrolet does not accept responsiblity for their malfunction. This could create a serious crash as well as tickets.

- Bromley, KY, USA

Nov 172008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 55 mph, the contact noticed that the speedometer displayed 120 mph. Since this first incident, the speedometer registers the vehicle's speed at 100 mph, even while at a complete stop. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and they stated that his VIN was not included in the recall. The manufacturer agreed and stated that they were not liable for the repairs. The vehicle has not been repaired and there has been no definitive diagnosis. The current mileage was 69,032 and failure mileage was 68,500.

- Leesville, SC, USA

Nov 192008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I presently own a 2005 Chevy Silverado crew cab, present mileage is 55,000. As I was driving, I noticed my speedometer needle shot up to 100 and then proceeded to move past 120 mph line. It is currently stuck past the 120mph limit. This is a safety issue that's needs to be corrected. There are other consumers with the similar problem and yet there is no factory recall on this.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA