2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 7 of 7)

Nov 192008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I presently own a 2005 Chevy Silverado crew cab, present mileage is 55,000. As I was driving, I noticed my speedometer needle shot up to 100 and then proceeded to move past 120 mph line. It is currently stuck past the 120mph limit. This is a safety issue that's needs to be corrected. There are other consumers with the similar problem and yet there is no factory recall on this.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 172008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact attempted to start the vehicle, but was unsuccessful. There were no warning indicators illuminated and no power. She had the vehicle towed to the dealer and they stated that the starter motor failed. The vehicle was repaired at the contact's expense. She noted that she previously experienced electrical failures with the vehicle. The stereo system had to be replaced three times as well as wires within the engine and heating system. The manufacturer offered her no assistance. The current mileage was 65,873 and failure mileage was 65,870.

- Rockport, NY, USA

Oct 022008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speedometer stopped working after it ran at 120 mph for awhile.

- Merced, CA, USA

Oct 112008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speedometer failure on 2005 Chevy Silverado speedometer registers wrong speed at 60mph reads 20mph.

- Wood River, IL, USA

Sep 292008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving 45 mph, the speedometer stopped working properly. The contact crashed the vehicle into a ditch. The dealer has not diagnosed the vehicle. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The current and failure mileages were 54,000.

- Billingsley, AL, USA

Sep 302008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Heater resistor, and wiring connector both melted to point that they had to be replace. This is on going problem that could cause afire or worst. I talk to GM service people and could not get answer. I check internet for part because GM wanted to much for their. That when I read about alot more people having the same problem and GM wont help fix the problem.

- Youngstown, OH, USA

Aug 202008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

1. my father in law hit the exposed heating/cooling fan motor wiring with his foot when entering the passenger side of the vehicle. The wiring or harness is not covered to prevent entanglement or other objects from contacting the wiring. This dislodged the wiring in the connector to the fan motor resistor. 2. a consequence is the wiring shorted in the connector and the fuse did not fail. The connector overheated and melted together. The fan motor was shut down at the sign of smoke ( both visual and by smell). Fan motor would not operate from this point forward. 3. I went to the dealer and was amazed that they stocked this particular harness pn 15862656 as a replacement kit complete with the splice connectors ($95). I also purchased the resistor (pn 89019088, cost $54.97), which although probably functioned was melted to the harness of the connector rendering it useless. I installed the kit and rerouted the wiring to eliminate contact by a passengers foot or a tool bucket.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 102008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I have a 2005 Chevy Silverado. The speedometer is defective and the cause is due to a bad stepper motor.

- Anthem, AZ, USA

May 082008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Speedometer does not read correctly, ie. When it says I'm going the speed limit, I am flying past other cars, it reads about 20mph lower than I am really cruising at. Car is just out of warranty 38K miles, GM is aware and won't replace free of charge. As I understand, it is a common problem on 2005's as well as 04 an 03 models. GM will replace 03 and 04's (same instrument cluster) why not the 05's??

- Ewa Beach, HI, USA

Aug 062008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

When turning my A/C, defroster, or heater on between setting 3, 4, and 5 a clicking noise would occur. This happened every time until it finally quit working. When I found out the problem it was found that the wire harness and the blower motor resistor to the heater/A/C was burned up. Seeing the melted plastic surprises me and makes me wonder if it was close to catching on fire. Now I have no A/C, heater, or defrost. I am currently in the process of having the wire harness changed and the blower motor resistor. I will have the old parts available.

- Calhoun, KY, USA

Oct 022007

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The speedometer and tach gauges have been messed up for nearly a year now and I can not get GM to fix the problem. It is on an 05 Silverado and they refuse to do anything to any truck after 04.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 082008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The headlamps, exterior lamps, all lights on dash, window and door lock switches, radio, A/C switches and gauges flicker. The gauges, ie.. fuel, water temp, tach, voltage meter and oil pressure gauge fluctuate. Im afraid they will permanently go out while driving at night. I've tried dimming the headlamps, adjusting the rheostat and other things with no change. My truck is now past warranty on the mileage. I noticed a service bulletin on my insurance website. The bulletin is 1001986. According to this service bulletin GM has been having this problem for quite some time as the bulletin was sent Jan. 2001 and still has 2005 models [what I have] included in that bulletin. I went to my dealer and requested info on the specific bulletin so that I could make repairs and was first told by the serv. Writer that she did not have access to serv. Bulletins. I told her that I had been a service manager for a Toyota dealer and knew that if she was a service writer then she did indeed have access to bulletins she admitted she did. I then asked again for a copy of the bulletin and she then said she wasn't authorized to give that info. I paid almost 40K for this truck and that's the service you get from GM. It seems that if so many vehicles having the same problem at least 6 consecutive years you guys should investigate and mandate a recall as your driving lamps are a vital part of the safety with the vehicle.

- Spurger, TX, USA

Jan 282008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2005 Silverado truck, interior of truck caught fire in the middle of the night when family is sleeping. Believed to have started in power seat motor only days after a new battery replaced. Wiring problems versus defective instrument that drew power off the battery to begin fire?

- Hazleton, IA, USA

Jan 152008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Was going 55 mph and came to a stop light. The speedometer stayed at 55 mph. When I sped back up the speedometer went up to 150 mph and stayed there. Sometimes it drops back down to 90 mph and the goes back up to 150 mph when I speed back up. It normally stays stuck at 150 mph no matter what speed I'm at.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 042008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 50 mph, the contact smelled burning wire underneath the dashboard. He looked under the dashboard and discovered a red, glowing, burning wiring harness, which he then unplugged. The blower motor resistor and the wiring harness failed. The current mileage was 68,357 and failure mileage was 66,000.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 162008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The odometer read 47,000 then a week later read 7,000 a week after read error and is error now.

- Louisville, OH, USA

Jul 252006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Vehicle will quit running and will or will not restart. Sometimes after 15 minutes it will. Quits running at any speed and at red lights.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 032006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate at 70 mph, the engine suddenly stalled, resulting in the engine to quit. Since our truck has a standard transmission, the driver simply "popped" the clutch and the engine started. About 10 miles later, the engine stalled several more times causing the engine to quit again forcing us to pull to the shoulder. We checked the battery cables, but the engine would not turn over. After a few minutes the engine started, but continued to stall. While in neutral, the RPM's were jumping over 3000 then falling below 500. At the same time, the battery gage was reading nearly nothing. No warning or check engine lights ever appeared. Since we were in another state 500 miles from home, our only choice was to continue until we could find a GM mechanic. The engine continued to stall and misfire for another 60 miles. Since we were a mere 702 miles over our factory warranty, the dealership told us we would have to schedule an appointment, and the next opening would be in 8 days. Instead, we were able to find a local mechanic shop, and in a matter of minutes the mechanic found the cause of the stalling to be a wire that plugs into the coil pack. He called the GM dealership for a replacement, and was told it would have to be ordered from the manufacturer and it would take a week or more to arrive. The mechanic told us the factory wire was not necessary, he could simply splice into the wire to fix our problem. Since staying an additional week was not an option, we agreed to have the mechanic fix the wire by splicing it. We began to experience similar stalling 10,000 miles later. There are 2 wires that enter the same clip then plugs into the coil. The cause of stalling the second time was the wire opposite of the one replaced before. This leads me to believe that there may be a defect in the coil itself, or merely low-quality wires installed by GM.

- Dexter , KS, USA

Aug 032005

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

While the driving down the road, I pressed the release button on the steering wheel to adjust, then the engine cut off, all the panel gauge icons lighted up and the digital display for the "P R D R L" cycled across. I had to put the car in neutral to restart the engine. Once I got home, I was able to duplicate the problem while idling in park on the drive way. This is a new Silverado purchased June 24, 2005. Will take in to dealer asap.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jan 012005

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

This is a failure of all autos. Why not require all auto makers to hook up cars lights to their windshield wipers? that way if wipers are on lights are on.

- Bell Buckle, TN, USA