2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 302016

• 2,092,245 miles

When I purchased my truck the dealership promised to have it fixed, I then went to the nc dmv who handles vehicle. I had been receiving the runaround from everyone. I am sure it has been in a flood that I was not informed about due to all the rust underneath the vehicle. When I purchased it was stationary at a private dealership in a city next to a highway.

- Grandy, NC, USA

Sep 062016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal was depressed but the brakes failed to operate. The contact crashed into a ditch. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Peotone, IL, USA

Feb 112016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Takata inflators stationary and in motion.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 012015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The service airbag light came on and stays on the milage was about 65000 miles its looks to me like this is a common problem with this truck it is a 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 ls, you would think Chevrolet would fix this problem.

- Evarts, KY, USA

Nov 112014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The air bag warning came on disabling drivers air bag. After checking this out I found this was a real common problem in this age Silverado. Problem is a sensor that cost 400$ to repair at dealer. If this is a common problem shouldn't GM fix the defect at their cost" how many owners of this age truck opt not to have this defect fixed due to cost" this endangers owners and passengers and GM should be liable. Thank you, scott

- Defuniak Springs, FL, USA

Jul 222015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Front to rear 5 car collision, causing me to hit a vehicle and then a high curb and drainage grate, front damage to my truck is severe and my truck will require over $8,000, my insurance company will probably call the truck a total loss...my airbags did not deploy.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 142015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Vehicle was sold which was believed to be an illegal California safety inspections had for three months driveshaft flew off of vehicle a week after purchasing dealer ship fix but but a driveshaft that was to short for the vehicle which was the reason for the incident second incident cause collision into brick wall because vehicle lost steering believed to be cause by safety issues dealership retired to pass off as an "as is " vehicle air bags did not deploy

- Victorville, CA, USA

Jun 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The air bag warning came on disabling drivers air bag. After checking this out I found this was a real common problem in this age Silverado. Problem is a sensor that cost 400$ to repair at dealer. If this is a common problem shouldn't GM fix the defect at their cost" how many owners of this age truck opt not to have this defect fixed due to cost" this endangers owners and passengers and GM should be liable. Thank you, mike

- Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

May 082010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owned a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While the driver was traveling at an unknown rate of speed on an on ramp, the driver crashed into another vehicle. The vehicle swayed back and forth on the road and then crashed into the rear of an 18 wheeler truck. The driver's bumper attached to the 18 wheeler truck and the driver's vehicle was dragged for a few miles until the state highway patrol assisted. The contact indicated that none of the air bags deployed. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The driver sustained massive head injuries and abdominal bleeding. The contact received extensive medical attention and had to be sent to a trauma unit in another hospital. The driver sustained fatal injuries due to the air bags not deploying. The manufacturer was notified of the failure, but was not able to diagnose the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 022015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Light comes on which reads "check passenger air bag". this light comes on when vehicle is started and then remains illuminated until the engine is shut off. Various dealerships and vehicle repair shops have indicated that parts for the air bags are faulty and need to be replaced. These same repair locations have indicated that the air bags will not activate in case of a accident.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA

Nov 122005

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

I hit another vehicle in the side, it was traveling approx. 55 mph. I was pulling into a walmart and crossing 2 lanes of traffic. Upon impact I pushed the other vehicle off the road from her inside lane. The airbag on my vehicle never deployed. I was told by the repair shop that the impact wasn't hard enough to cause the airbag to deploy. That is why I never reported the accident until now. Just recently the airbag light came on and when I took it to the dealer they said it needed a new front bumper impact sensor for $549. I had contacted GM about and they said since there was over 100,000 mi. They could not do anything. I have since learned there have been myriad complaints on this vehicle for the same thing. It seems to me that there are ample enough complaints for the nhtsb to order a recall. I plan on doing the repair myself. The part costs $90.

- Nunica, MI, USA

Mar 302015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While driving at an unknown speed, the air bag warning light intermittently illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 194,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 062014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

SRS warning came on. Had fault code. Called Chevy dealer and they said I would need a new airbag. I researched and found that GM does know about this and even put out a tsb. It is a connector to the airbag itself located in the left kick panel. The fix is to clean the connector or replace it. No new airbag is needed but it did reoccur about a year later. Recleaned and ok again. This is a safety item and should be a recall. Since GM knew it I must assume that NHTSA knew it also. I can see where a lot of people would not fix this and just drive like this since a lot of technicians think you need a new airbag when it is in fact poor wiring by GM.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Oct 242014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

When I got in the truck to go to work, airbag warning light along with the dic notification where on. With a osb II reader, got a code or "B0104 front right senor replace". replaced the senor at owners expense. With new part installed the warning light and dic message cleared.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Aug 012014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

The vehicle's read "check air bag" for at least 3 months. No incident but the check light has been on since August 2014. Please advise.

- Miami Gardens, FL, USA

Oct 082014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Check airbag light stays on.. do I need to disengage? please advise.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Oct 012014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

For no apparent reason, the air bag warning lights on vehicle came on when starting the vehicle. Vehicle has not been involved in any accident. Vehicle was taken in for repair and repair shop said the front sensors for no apparent reason had gone defective disabling the air bags on vehicle. Sensors had to be replaced and I was told parts were only available from a Chevrolet dealership. After repair I checked online and found numerous other owners of Chevrolet vehicles have experienced the same problem. I am concerned with the safety issue of disabled air bags when this part goes defective for no reason.

- Colorado City, CO, USA

Aug 032007

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Service air bag warning light has been on since 2007, when vehicle was still under warranty. Has been to bob grimm Chevrolet in morton, il for this same problem approx 9 times. I no longer live in the vicinity of this dealer, and wouldn't want them working on it again since they have been unable to repair multiple times. Written communication to GM all the way up to CEO has not resolved this issue. Jack schmitt Chevrolet in O'fallon, il did a diagnostic and reported the air bag in my vehicle is used. Nobody has ever worked on the truck regarding the air bag except bob grimm Chevrolet. My understanding is when this light is on, the air bag will not deploy, endangering my life.

- Troy, IL, USA

Jul 032012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

While driving down the road my service air bag light when on, was told air bags and safety products would not work unless fixed, $500 later done 2yrs later 08/22/14 light is on again"? 30,000 more miles" I never off road and keep my stuff very nice.

- Grant, MI, USA

Aug 312014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

As I was driving the "service air bag" warning appeared in the information center of the dash and the air bag light started to blink. There was no reason for the warning light. I re-set the information center and the warning reappeared. Very disappointing as there are only 64,537 miles on the vehicle. I checked on the internet to see if there was a recall for this problem for my vehicle, as the miles are very low on my vehicle. Of course there was none for my vehicle. It appears this is a common problem with GM vehicles and an extra expense to the owners. I'm very disappointed at this point. I could not locate any recalls for my vehicle VIN, but there were other recalls involving the air bags with other GM vehicles. I'm lost for words.

- Lafayette, IN, USA