2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 142006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The intermediate steering shaft is loose and make a lot of noise while driving

- Merced, CA, USA

Jun 142015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Vehicle was sold which was believed to be an illegal California safety inspections had for three months driveshaft flew off of vehicle a week after purchasing dealer ship fix but but a driveshaft that was to short for the vehicle which was the reason for the incident second incident cause collision into brick wall because vehicle lost steering believed to be cause by safety issues dealership retired to pass off as an "as is " vehicle air bags did not deploy

- Victorville, CA, USA

Sep 022010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph, there was a loud abnormal popping noise coming from the front end of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 25,517 and the current mileage was 61,300.

- Canyon Country , CA, USA

Dec 302005

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased this (currently 87,000 miles) truck new in late 2004. I have replaced the steering gear twice (at 20,227 and 86,033 miles). The power steering pump twice (at 32,379 and 86,033 miles). And the power steering shaft twice (at 31,087 and 42,169 miles). While this is on its third power steering pump, each of the first 2 pumps had to be inspected for repairs due to noises when it was in for service. While the manufacturer issued bulletins for these parts after receiving complaints from customers about failures, the manufacturer has not recalled these parts.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jan 012007

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado K1500. The contact stated that the steering column exhibited an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and an inspection was performed. The failure was located at the steering intermediate shaft. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 90,000...updated 05/10/13 updated 05/24/2013

- Port Saint Lucie , FL, USA

Feb 242013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Coming home after a night of bowling with a truck full of kids. I could feel and hear a grinding noise coming from the front end. I thought it was my brakes until I got back into town. When I hit the brakes and moved the steering wheel back and forth I could I knew it wasn't my brakes. I took the front tire off the next day and I could wiggle the wheel hub back and forth. Very dangerous. I feel lucky that nobody got hurt. The road I traveled home was hwy 32 and it has alot of curves. This should be addressed. Every Chevy that has this problem should be notified. Im a back yard mechanic. I knew something was wrong. What happens with the single mother who knows nothing about this stuff. She's going to be lucky if she doesn't get in an accident or worse yet. Killed!

- Ceadr Grove, WI, USA

Aug 152012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 25 mph, the contact noticed a clunking noise from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic advised that the intermediate steering shaft would have to be replaced. There was a recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 05V018000 (steering:gear box:shaft sector) that the contact believed was related to the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Catharpine, VA, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, she would hear a loud abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where they advised her that the driver's side hub failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. In addition, when driving at low speeds and completing turns, the steering wheel would seize and the contact was unable to maneuver the steering wheel. There was also a loud grinding noise when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised her that the power steering box failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised her that the vehicle had no existing recalls. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000. The current mileage was approximately 100,000.

- Madison, PA, USA

Nov 192011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Took truck in for check up said steering worn and leaking both left and right was replaced with Chevy parts at Chevy dealer it is now 8-22-12 now took it in to have it check before vacation and their saying the steering box leaking mileage now is 37,778 I don't understand the trouble with this part it is also very expensive.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Mar 082012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The front end intermittently begins to "shimmy" at about 50mph. I have replaced tires, inner and outer tie rods, and brakes calipers but the problems have not resolved. The vehicle has always had problems with a "clunking" from the steering column. Several owners report the same problem.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Mar 012011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated while driving over a bump in the road and turning the steering wheel the vehicle made a loud clanking sound. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Burgettstown , PA, USA

Apr 152010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

In February 2010, I started to notice a clicking noise in the front wheel of my 2005 Silverado. While returning from Florida the noise increased and the right front hub bearing failed and had to be replaced at 32,000 for $500. Approximately two months later, the left side failed and the dealer replaced it and I had to pay $100. During the summer the intermediate steering shaft had to be replaced at a cost of $120.

- Victor, NY, USA

Oct 242010

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. While accelerating from a stop, the steering wheel became stiff. The contact pulled over and shut the vehicle off; upon restart, the vehicle functioned properly. The failure occurred intermittently while driving at low speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that all of the steering mechanisms needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were approximately 80,000.

- Princeton, MN, USA

Jun 062006

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Steering column knocks very annoying sound can be felt in steering wheel.

- Richboro, PA, USA

Jan 012009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

When turning steering wheel at slow speed forward and reverse loud clunking and vibration in steering.

- Bomoseen, VT, USA

May 012008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My 2005 Chevy Silverado had a clunking noise in the steering. The dealer replaced the intermediate shaft but this didn't fix it. This went on for months. Just prior to the warranty running out I convinced the dealers mechanic that the problem was in the rack-N-pinion assembly. They replaced it under warranty and that solved the problem.

- Sherman, TX, USA

Mar 262009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Clunking noise and vibration in steering wheel on 2005 Chevy Silverado. This happens every time you turn or hit a bump in the road. GM states that this is not considered a safety issue, however I disagree. Any unexpected vibration or clunk in the steering mechanism while driving presents a dangerous situation. GM knows this to be a wide spread problem on a number of vehicles, however they continue to turn a blind eye. Apparently the intermediate steering shaft is the center of the problem and GM needs to issue a recall on this part at once. So far nothing has been done to correct this issue on my vehicle and GM seems to be unwilling to work with me to attain corrective action. I sincerely hope that the NHTSA will require General Motors to fix this problem before someone is seriously injured.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Feb 062009

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Chevy has a recall #05010 on the secondary steering shaft for the 2005 Silverado 1500 series truck. My local Chevy dealer diagnosed my truck as having the same problem but since the VIN code did not match their recall I would have to pay for the repair. Truck has 41000 miles and has 100,000 power train warranty. I contacted Chevy Corp customer service and they agreed to pay for the part but not the labor.(87.50). To me this shows Chevy does recognize the problem but not willing to own up for all the repair cost..this I consider to unjust and think the should pay for the total repair because the have stated this is the same problem which exits on other vehicles..

- Townville, SC, USA

Aug 202004

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Clunking noise in the front end of my 2005 Chevy Silverado. Clunking can be felt in the steering wheel and most noticeable when turning and on rough roads.

- Bergen, NY, USA

Dec 312008

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving to the store and when I looker at my speedometer I was doing 110mph and when I came to a stop it displayed 60mph that happened 12/31/08 at 70,000 miles. So far my problems with my 2005 Silverado at 20,000 miles I had the steering wheel clump fixed by packing it with grease now the problem is back, at 60,000 miles my fuel pump failed on a road trip after I started to fill hesitation like starving for gas- cost$ $700, at 65,000 miles the catalytic converter was plugged up the engine light came on and would blink and would hesitate really bad when you would punch it into passing gear. It didn't cost me anything because of the emission law 70,000 or 7yrs, and it just turned over 70,000. But I still love my truck and I always drive a Chevy. That fuel pump could be fixed easy if they would put a access door in the truck bed because GM fuel pumps are junk, same thing happened to my Chevy astro.

- Corona, CA, USA