2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 9)

Sep 082015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While approaching a traffic signal my brake pedal went all the way to the floor. I drove my vehicle slowly home and checked brake fluid level. It was low and I topped it off. I tried the brakes again and once again the pedal went to floor. I went under the vehicle and brake fluid was dripping off the cross member just behind the engine. I could see that all the brake lines were very rusty. I was able to get the vehicle to big O tires. After inspection, it was found that the brake line had rusted through and all the others were in very bad shape and I had all the lines replaced. After some research I found this was a known problem and GM has redesigned the lines but, refused to recall and replace the lines. You need to research this problem further and insist on a recall before someone is killed. I am the original owner and as indicated by the mileage the vehicle is not driven that much and very well taken care of.

- Mooresville, IN, USA

Mar 172015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

When slowing down to stop, app 5 to 10 mph, before stop.brake pedel will soft and pluse like brakes went away but stoping you.its feels like you lost your brakes.its been steaty app 9 out of 10 times. Had vehicle check out several places for bakes issues, new rotors, pads, drums, and shoes.plug in computer no codes on brakes or ABS system.its can be scary when driving trying to stop.

- Gilmanton Iw, NH, USA

Aug 282015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Traveled to store about four blocks away from my residence. Upon returning, I noticed my brakes barely working while going downhill on street. I had to downshift and use emergency brake to get to bottom of hill. At bottom of hill is my driveway. I was able to enter my driveway and park. I could see a liquid dripping rapidly -- brake fluid-- under the truck about the middle of the drivers side door. I opened the hood and checked the brake fluid level, only a small amount left. Within five minutes the rest of the brake fluid had drained out with gravity. Thankfully no one was in front of me or crossing the street. Note: There was no indication on dash lit prior to this happening. Braking loss happened first. Seems like brake line just split/burst.

- Wikes Barre , PA, USA

Aug 192015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Leaving my drive way my brake peddle went all the way to the floor. I had to use emergency brake to stop truck. After checking for problem I found that the metal brake line from the master cylinder to the brakes had rusted through in the engine area and brake fluid was being sprayed on the manifold. (if engine was hotter their could have been a fire.) truck is sitting in my driveway still not fixed.

- Greenville, IN, USA

Oct 312013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While the vehicle was coming to a stop, the anti-brake system engaged independently and caused the brakes to fail. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 9,000.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

Aug 022015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving the truck away from my home, when I steped on the brake pedal it went to the floor. I got the truck stopped with the parking brake. When I inspected the brake lines they were all extremely rusty and one had burst. Fluid leaked out and there was no pedal at all. The brakes were gone with no warning.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Aug 092015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Traveling 60 mph on the highway and approached a red traffic light. Applied the brakes to stop with other traffic. Brake pedal went completely to the floor with approximately 10% braking power. No warning lights on dash. Fortunately the traffic light turned green and traffic moved prior to a crash. Crash was guaranteed if traffic light had not changed. Brake fluid level fine. Brake line under drivers side rusted and burst. No warning signs.

- Canton, IL, USA

Jul 242014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While applying breaks on dry surfaces and coming to a stop the ABS kicks in and pedal goes to the floor. This causes the stopping distance to increase. I have almost rear-ended stopped and parked cars and ran into my garage door. There have been to many close calls so I have pulled the fuse to shut off the ABS.

- Grand Island, NY, USA

Jul 082015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Approaching a stop sign I applied the brakes and the pedal went to the floor. Upon examination I found the brake fluid was leaking from a rusted line at the read right of the truck where the brake line from the front of the vehicle connects to the rubber hose that feeds both sides of the rear brakes. The rest of the lines look great but that main feed is rusted and failed. This has never happened to me in all years owning vehicles.

- South Berwick, ME, USA

Jun 222015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was an increased in stopping distance. The contact discovered that the brake lines rusted and corroded causing the brake fluid to leak from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the brake lines needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 292015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While traveling on the expressway in my 2006 Chevrolet Silverado with 26,000 miles on the odometer, I attempted a transient lane change while taking evasive action in order to avoid a hazardous situation. When coupled with the brakes I noticed longer than usual engagement. As a result, I was forced onto the shoulder and had to use multiple downshifts in concert with the emergency brake to bring the vehicle to a halt. It sounded like a train stopping on rails. I proceeded to drive home with hazards on, U never exceeding third gear. The following morning I noticed clear oil underneath the front end of the vehicle. I believe this is an extremely dangerous vehicle and a less experienced driver would have been killed or extremely injured. Lastly, I have also been noticing inconsistency with steering resistance. Sometimes the steering is considerably looser than at other times. I have dismissed this disconcerting sensation by assuming it is weather/humidity related.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 262015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. After the brakes were applied continuously, the speed reduced to 10 mph. The vehicle came to a complete stop when the emergency brake was applied. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,000.

- Shamong, NJ, USA

Jun 272015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The brake lines corroded in the middle of the brake line, spraying out brake fluid all over the suspension and releasing all pressure in the brake system. The brakes failed to stop the vehicle and I had to stop with the emergency brake instead.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 192015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

No warning that anything was wrong with the brakes. This is the 3rd time a brake line has blown out on this truck. I applied the brake pedal to no resistance until the pedal hit something metal. The truck did come to a gradual stop. This is a well maintained truck with just under 39000 miles on it. Regular nys inspections, oil and greased and looked over by a mechanic every 3000 miles. This is not a wear problem as GM maintains.

Jun 122014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

This is the 2nd time that a brake line blew out on this truck. No warning that anything was wrong. Applied brakes coming to a stop sign and brake pedal went to the floor. No pedal response. This truck is kept clean and mileage is under 34000. Please look into this.

Nov 122012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake line blew out when appling brakes to make a left turn. No pedal response, pedal went to the floor.

Jun 202015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Driving downhill on my (400' long) driveway I depressed brake pedal to stop at the bottom before entering trafic. The brake pedal went completley to the floor. Luckily there were no cars coming. I was able to swerve off the side of the road and stop. I discovered brake fluid leaking from rusted lines on the drivers side, mid-way down the length of the truck. Upon furthur investication I noted all brakes lines are severly rusted. Based on the location and manner these lines are routed, I would not classify them as a maintenance item. Please help.

- Port Crane, NY, USA

Apr 012015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Vehicle developed a gas line leak, and upon inspection, discovered that all fuel and brake lines on vehicle have extensive corrosion and are in need of replacement. The vehicle interior and exterior are in near new condition, the issue with the brake and gas lines is clearly a metallurgical issue and to the extent this problem is, is not a normal maintenance issue. There has been extensive reports of this problem and it puts large numbers of consumers at risk. There is no way that a well maintained vehicle should require repair costs in excess of $3000 for this type of safety issue.

- Queensbury, NY, USA

May 282015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

While slowing down and coming to a stop the at a juction the other day the brake pedal travelled all the way to the floor, no warning. I was able to press the foot brake and lock it to stop the truck, scariest thing ever have gone through…. not to be in control of a 1/2 ton truck coming to a stop. I thought for sure I was going to be in an accident. I found it hard to believe that the brake lines could be leaking but after looking at them, sure enough they were rusted through and the brake fluid was pouring out. It took about 10 minutes for all the fluid to emptyed from the master cyclinder. After some online research I learned this has been a problem for GM and the Chevy Silverado and other GM trucks. Brakes lines rusting out after as little as 4 years. I checked to see if there was a recall and learned that it's a "regular maintaince issue". although many 1000's of people have experienced the same issue of brake lines rusting prematurly. Estimated cost to replace all brake lines $1500!!! some of us just don't have that kind of money to spend but I'll have to…saftly comes first

- Lewes, DE, USA

May 302015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I pressed the brake pedal and it went to the floor as the steel line leading toward the rear axle burst, the failure occurred near the left rear wheel well in the line following the top of the left frame rail toward the rear axle. Luckily the vehicle was stationary when it happened, so no personal injury occurred.the brake lines have been inspected and passed annually, with the last inspection taking place eight months ago in September 2014.

- Freeport, ME, USA