2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

May 132015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My left front wheel hub assembly failed while driving. Brake system was compromised. I was able to pull over and stop safely, but brakes did not respond as they should. Moreover, there was no indication that the wheel bearing was failing, and I am quite aware of what this sounds like because this will be the fourth time I have replaced the wheel hub assembly on the left side. I have replaced the right hub assembly twice. In all previous times, I heard a slight whirling noise or at worse slight grinding, which would lead me to inspection and replacement before failure. This time it failed without any warning. I believe GM has made a serious design and/or quality error in this truck. This should be investigated because this is a common problem.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

May 062015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Driving down my street to go to store went to stop at end of street to turn left the brake pedal went to the floor and I almost run into a car in front of me. I then back up and but it in front of house. If I would have been on a main road and had to stop I would have been in an accident. The ABS didn't work at all if this is what it is suppose to do, there was no stopping of this truck. This was the rear brake line up by the frame of the truck with connector.

- Canton, MI, USA

Apr 292015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that the brake light illuminated on the instrument panel and made a dinging sound as the service brake light illuminated. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal had become loose. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was 146,000.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Feb 102015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

For the third time a brake line has rusted completely through and caused complete loss of control. It was located under the drivers seat above the frame. I had absolutely no brakes at 70 mph on hwy 5. I took it to a Chevy dealership and they told me it was not their problem. I am extremely concerned about the forth brake line that is complexly covered in rust. This is going to kill someone when it rusts through.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 252015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Brake line rupture resulting in immediate brake failure without warning. Parallel parking a 2006 Silverado when we encountered a complete brake failure and nearly struck another parked vehicle. Brake petal depressed completely to the floor without warning. Steered truck toward curb to fully stop before striking other vehicle. Immediate inspection revealed brake line rupture on drivers side of vehicle in undercarriage area near back of drivers seat. Significant loss of brake fluid and complete brake failure. Fortunately traveling less than 5 mph - five minutes earlier we were traveling at speeds of 70 mph on interstate highway. This could have been a catastrophic event had it occurred on the interstate or the offramp. Vehicle passed a Virginia state safety inspection three weeks earlier. GM or NHTSA should warn GM owners to check their brake lines and also consider a recall.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Mar 032015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

When applying the brakes to stop at an intersection, the vehicle lurches for a few feet then just lets go until it comes to a complete stop several feet into the intersection. This also occurs every time the brakes are applied when trying to stop. The brakes seem to slow you down to 10 miles per hour then they let go. At this time we are forced to use this vehicle even though it is unsafe. We would like this problem fixed asap.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Mar 142015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake pedal went to the floor when trying to brake. Got the truck home and towed it to a auto repair business. The brake lines had rusted out and were leaking the brake fluid out, also had to replace the calipers because the fluid bleeding mechanism rusted out too this is a safety issue and GM should have issued a recall, this repair has cost me 1350 $.

- Lauderdale Lakes, FL, USA

Mar 032012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake lines are seeping brake fluid due to corrosion and are failing. Noticeable smell of brake fluid and leakage in front of truck. Brake lines need to be replaced.

- Steep Falls, ME, USA

Apr 282013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

On approx. 28 April 2013 after a 200 mile trip I was parking my truck when the brake line broke. I then used the emergency brake to stop the truck. At this time I made the necessary repairs to get us back home. Once there I responded to len stoler cheverolet in westminster md. Where I purchased the vehicle. I asked them if they could bleed the brakes, because I did not think I got all the air out of lines. At this time I was waiting in the waiting room when a service advisor came in and ask me to go into the shop because they wanted to show me something. When I arrived at my truck (which was on the lift) they stated the entire brake lines were so corroded that they needed to be replaced at a price of $1610.80. I stated that the so call metal used had to be defected to allow the whole system of lines to rust to this point in only seven years. She then replied that it was not cause by the metal used, it was the new salt that the states uses now. When they replaced the old lines with the new, I ask the service advisor is the metal brake lines being installed, were they using the same kind of metal and she replied, no they are using zink coated lines now. My question did any other trucks like mine have the same problem and why did they use a new metal if there was nothing wrong with original metal.

- Westminster, MD, USA

Feb 092015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake line was rusted and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Saugerties, NY, USA

Feb 212015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

I was backing up the truck when a car came up behind me and had to hit the brakes hard. The peddle went all the way to the floor, no brakes at all. Had to steer the truck into a snow bank to avoid an accident. The cab of the truck immediately smelled like brake fluid. Took the truck to the shop and discovered the brake lines are rusted at every point where they connect to the frame. Repaired the first leak and another leak started in another line in the same area the lines attached to the frame behind the drivers side front wheel. Repaired the second leak and a 3rd leak appeared inside the frame rail behind the cab where the line attaches to the frame. The lines can not be safely repaired. All new lines must be installed. The truck only has 10,250 miles on it and is always washed including the under carriage after driving on salted roads.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Feb 022015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, another vehicle cut the contact's vehicle off causing him to slam down on the brakes. As a result, the brake line fractured and the vehicle began to leak brake fluid. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Brookeville, PA, USA

Dec 242014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Stopping the truck in front of my garage when the brake pedal went almost to the floor. I inspected below the truck and noted fluid leaking forward of the ABS module. I still had partial brakes and was able to take it the few miles down the road to my mechanic. He inspected all my brake lines and ended up replacing them all as they were showing the same pitting and corrosion problems as the one that burst.

- Effingham, NH, USA

Jan 122015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 10 mph, the brake pedal shook when it was depressed. The failure recurred several times. The dealer stated that the sensor was rusted and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Means , KY, USA

Jan 062015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Starting from a waiting line for my annual vehicle inspection I was directed to stop, while trying to depress the brake pedal it went to the floor with no resistance and not warning light. I hit the emergency brake to halt the vehicle and ask the mechanic on duty to assist in determining the problem. While pumping the brake trying to build up pressure I was told to stop as fluid running on the ground it appeared to be coming from under the left front headlight area. After it was lifted on the rack it was determined that my steel brakeline had developed a hole due to excessive corrosion. I was lucky as just prior I was on a major freeway and traveling at a much higher rate of speed. The mechanic explained that where the line runs across from left to right that it appears that water is constantly being diverted from the radiator down onto the line. This sounds like a design flaw that should have been discovered a long time ago or the brake line should be stainless steel to prevent the corrosion.

- Mililani , HI, USA

Dec 012014

Brake lines rusted out.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Oct 182014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal was applied and traveled abnormally to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the vehicle hesitated to stop. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was informed that the front and rear brake lines needed to be replaced due to corrosion. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wollingford , CT, USA

Nov 142014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal extended to the floor without warning and it became difficult to stop the vehicle. The dealer stated that the brake lines were rusted and leaking. The fuel lines were also rusted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 36,900.

- Derby, CT, USA

Nov 142014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 15 mph, the brake pedal sank to the floorboard without warning and the vehicle failed to stop. The dealer stated that the brake lines were rusted and contained leaks. Also, the technician diagnosed that the fuel lines were rusted. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 36,900. Updated 3/31/15

- Derby, CT, USA

Nov 252014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle lost brakes due to corroded steel brake lines.

- Whitestone, NY, USA