2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 5 of 9)

Oct 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I have found that the steel lines running along the frame rails are rusting and found a patch in one place and the possibility of more leaks happening.

- Pittsfield , MA, USA

Jul 112014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Driving at about 35mph when the car ahead put on brakes my pedal went straight to the floor and I ended up using the emergency brake to stop. I had the truck taken to the dealership who told me the brake lines were completely rusted out. I called Chevrolet's service number and was told this was not a problem with my year. But it had been in the past so no help available.

- Tybee Island, GA, USA

Jul 182014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated while driving approximately 2 mph in reverse the vehicle failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where the mechanic stated that the brake lines were covered with rust. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Churchville, PA, USA

Jul 242014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Brakes seemed soft while driving on mountain roads yesterday. This morning puddle under the driver side door and brakes went to the floor. No brake warning lights came on. Hour later when tow truck came, moved truck for towing and brake warning light came on. It did not want to stop with brakes - rolled to stop. Had it towed to dealer who is checking for the reason for the leak. Not repaired yet - waiting for dealer to get back to me.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Jul 082012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Another vehicle ran a red light in front of me and I had to apply brakes quickly. The brake line ruptured, I swerved, and barely missed the other car. They would have been killed if I was not able to move into the opposite lane. Latter found that the rupture was caused by excessive rust. Had that section replaced but its too expensive to replace all the lines - waiting for another failure.

- Revere, MA, USA

Jun 112014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The contact depressed the brake harder as a result, the brake lines fractured and the brake fluid was leaking. The contact discovered that there was rust under the vehicle where the brake lines were located. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Disputanta, VA, USA

Jun 292014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

Brakes failed, pedal went to the floor when I was pulling into my driveway. Checked under truck and the brake lines are rusted and 1 or 2 were leaking brake fluid. Could stop only by using emergency brake. If I was driving on the road I would have had an accident. Brake lines should not rust out in 8 years. These trucks need to be recalled. It is going to coast close to $1000 if I replaced all the lines.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jan 102014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that after reversing out of the residential driveway, the front and rear brakes failed. The brake light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact mentioned that the vehicle came to complete stop after the emergency brake was engaged. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that brake fluid was leaking from the brake lines. The contact added more brake fluid into the vehicle but the failure persisted. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who stated that the brake lines were faulty due to the salt damage. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 74,000 and the current mileage was 78,000. Updated 9/12/14 updated 2/12/2015

- Gillette, NJ, USA

Jul 072014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I was moving my travel trailer in my driveway, in preparation for a vacation trip. When I stepped on the brake, a rusted brake line failed and the brake pedal went to the floor. I was able to stop the vehicle safely. Further inspection reveals that all the brake lines on the truck are badly rusted and will have to be replaced.

- Eaton Rapids, MI, USA

Jan 122014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Brake lines had holes in them caused by corrosion, fuel line also. Noticed problem before anything serious happened. Cost over $1000 to replace brake and fuel lines.

- Versailles, NY, USA

Jun 142014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I had my truck fixed at sear automotive in hunt valley Maryland after 3 week after I was promised 1 week.was told it needed a new rear differential and new brake lines. I got my truck back I lost brakes going down the road and my ABS light came on brought my truck back to sears. It was fixed so I was told and I lost brakes aging. And then I brought it back a 3rd time they finally fixed it. But they made me drive my truck with no brakes back to them. Next my rear differential locked up on 695 and I spun out I brought the truck back to them. They claimed it was out of warranty when the warranty expired well the truck was in the shop. So I started to drive the truck home and 4 wheel drive turned on and my front 2 wheels started dragging along with my back which made my truck come to a stop in the middle of york road. Which auto nation told me that my front differential is bad not the rear that's why it happened.

- Jarrsttsville , MD, USA

Mar 032014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

As I was backing out of my driveway my brake pedal went to the floor. I stopped just in time to avoid being hit by on coming traffic. Took it to a dealer later that day and was told that the brake lines were rusted through and would cost over $700 to repair.

- Erie, PA, USA

Jun 022014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl Diesel

Started the vehicle fasten seat belt exited the carport started to leave my yard had to stop a go back in house turned the vehicle off removed the key went back in the house came back got in the vehicle fasten seat belt started the vehicle put it in drive and the service air bag light flashed several time we out and came back and will not go back out it will flash several time go out and come back on and stay.

- High Springs, FL, USA

May 302014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl Diesel

Saw wet spot under driver's side of truck, just behind engine compartment. Knew it wasn't good as the ac is on the other side. Figured I'd check it later. Started truck and as soon as I put my foot on the brake pedal, I could feel something was wrong. Stopped truck, popped hood and checked brake fluid level in master cylinder. Saw it was low. Added a pint of fluid and looked under the truck. Saw it leaking from a rusted out brake line near the ABS module. All lines are rusted and in need of replacement.

- Canfield, OH, USA

May 272014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Later on, the information console displayed a service brake system message. The brake lines are so rusted out that they are now leaking brake fluid.

- Lothian, MD, USA

May 152014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

Steel brake line ruptured due to apparent rusting. Brake fluid drained from system and ability to brake was nearly diminished.

- Baldwinsville, NY, USA

May 122014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I applied the brakes. The brake pedal went to the floor with little resistance. I got the truck home and noticed brake fluid draining from the drivers side metal brake line just forward of the rear axle.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Apr 222014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I was driving my truck and the brake pedal went to the floor. I was able to stop the truck in my driveway after pumping the brake pedal. There was no trouble light or indication on the dashboard of any brake problem. When I got out of the truck I saw a puddle of fluid under the middle of the truck on the driver's side. Upon further inspection, there is a hole in the rear brake line and all the brake lines are completely rusted and rotting. I was told by the Chevrolet dealer all the brake lines need to be replaced at a cost of $1000. How can the NHTSA allow manufacturers to install brake line materials that can fail without warning in 7 years or less?

- Naples, NY, USA

Apr 232014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Brake pedal became spongy while driving. Upon reapplying the brakes, pedal went straight to the floor and vehicle creeped to a stop. Upon inspection, saw brake fluid on ground and spewing out from brake lines by driver's rear side. Had vehicle towed to dealership, where they said that all of the brake lines were rusted out.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Apr 282014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Left rear brake line blew out and rusted through. Do not trust any other brake line on this truck now.

- Candor, NY, USA