2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

May 302013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Pulling truck out of garage the brake pedal went to the floor. Upon examination the brake line had blown a hole thru the rusted brake lines. All of the brake lines that are not coated are rusted and integrity of the metal is poor. Had to have all brake lines replaced for a sum of $900..

- Cleveland, OH, USA

May 252013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The brakes on my truck take forever to work. I have replaced the ABS sensor and bearing and fuse and the lights continue to come on after I drive a mile after starting it up. This is very scary. If I needed to stop suddenly it would cause a crash. I have researched and I am not the only one with this problem. Please do a recall. Chevy has already done a recall for the same break system for the 00' to '05 Silverado. This has potentional to hurt my family and maybe someone else's.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Rotten brake lines. I looked at the brake lines while changing my oil. My truck has 47K on it. I called GM. They told me that I had to bring it to a dealer. I did. They confirmed that the brake lines are bad and need to be replaced. $1500 also the transmission cooling lines are leaking. I have been through almost all of the brake problems listed on this web cite. ABS light comes on, twice, 2nd time I replaced the left hub bearing assembly. The 1st time the dealer replaced the front ABS sensors. Air bag light comes on, I replaced a bad front air bag sensor, right side. This truck is turning into a money pit!!!!! this new (rotten lines) issue is a safety issue as was the ABS issue. GM needs to do a full recall and replace the brake lines before someone gets killed.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Apr 142013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

Failed inspection for corroded brake lines.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Mar 282013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Vehicle was taken to have 4 new tires installed. As part of this process the vehicle was lifted off the ground and the steering components and suspension system was checked for wear. As this process was taking place one of the mechanics noticed the rusted brake lines and called me over to show how bad the lines were rusted.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Mar 172013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

The vehicle was parked and I entered it to start it. When I applied my foot to the brake pedal I heard a loud pop (like a balloon popping) and a recoil in the brake pedal. Come to find out, the diaphragm in the brake booster broke thus leaving me with very little brakes. I am just glad I was the one behind the wheel and the vehicle was in park. I can only imagine if this had happened while driving through town. Or if someone like my 18 year old son had been driving. After speaking with multiple mechanics, it was brought to my attention that this is one of those things that "never happens"...especially on a 2006 with only 63K miles on it. When I called Chevrolet they told me that it would be noted but they could not help cover the cost of repair as it was not under warranty. Although I do know it's out of warranty, I thought they might cover it as it is not a wear and tear issue...it is a mechanical defect and a major safety issue. It has been repaired and I'm just hoping it does not occur again. Unfortunately there is absolutely no way at all to predict if and when this will ever occur on any other vehicle. I just hope it doesn't happen to mine again.

- Rock Falls, IL, USA

Mar 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Brake lines rusted out. This is the second time I have had this problem with this vehicle. A hole developed in a brake line which resulted in no brakes at all. I had to spend $1400 at the Chevy dealership to have all of my brake lines and front calipers replaced.

- Colchester, CT, USA

Feb 032013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl Diesel

Driving my 2006 Silverado 3500 hd when the car ahead decided on a sudden left turn. Went to apply my brakes and had to stand on the pedal while swerving, narrowly missing the compact car. After evaluation at the GM certified dealership we use for inspection and repair on all 8 of our GM business and personal vehicles, we were informed that the brake erosion/rusting was a common defect in the brake lines used. Contacted GM and they offered to pay half of the $1400 bill and stated that there is no recall for this issue. There needs to be a recall for the safety of everyone on the road!

- Lincoln University, PA, USA

Feb 032013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Driving my 2006 Silverado 3500 hd when the car ahead decided on a sudden left turn. Went to apply my brakes and had to stand on the pedal while swerving, narrowly missing the compact car. After evaluation at the GM certified dealership that we use for inspection and repair on all 8 of our GM business and personal vehicles, we were informed that the brake erosion/rusting was a common defect in the brake lines used. Contacted GM and they offered to pay half of the $1400 bill and stated that there is no recall for this issue. There needs to be a recall for the safety of everyone on the road!

- Lincoln University, PA, USA

Mar 032013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

ABS kick in at low speeds increasing stopping distance by several feet.

- Broad Brook, CT, USA

Oct 132012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

2006 Silverado 1500 in October 2012, as I approached a stop light, my brake pedal lost pressure and went to the floor. I was able to pull into a parking lot and stop by pumping the pedal and using the parking brake. The cause was a rusted out brake line, which I paid the shop to replace. In February 2013, I pressed the brake pedal to shift into drive in my driveway and the brake pedal again lost pressure and went to the floor. I had the truck towed to a mechanic and upon inspection learned that all of the brake lines are rusted out including at the ABS module connection point. The only repair option is a $2000 job to remove the body from the truck to replace every single brake line. Through internet searches and by my mechanic's experience, this is clearly a known problem that GM should be recalling Silverado for.

- Durham, NC, USA

Feb 162013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Brake line rust through. Driving down the road hit brakes went to floor. Still had front brakes and was able to stop. Having the truck towed to have lines replaced.

- St. Charles, IA, USA

Apr 022012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

Experienced braking failure and activation of anti-lock brakes when braking at low speeds. This causes longer braking times and distances and I have narrowly avoided hitting cars in front of me, running stop signs, etc. On numerous occasions. After researching this phenomenon, it is known as unintended low speed ABS activation - a common problem for older model GM trucks. Additional research has revealed that it is a common problem for 2006 Silverado, yet it has yet to be addressed by the manufacturer. It is commonly the result of an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris build up on the sensor mounting surface. This is a serious hazard that needs to be addressed for Silverado trucks from rust-belt states.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Jan 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

I was following my girlfriend in my truck & when coming to a slow stop at less than 5mph, my trucks ABS started to activate on dry road conditions causing me to bump into her car! no real damage occurred to either of our vehicles but after researching this known GM problem with their ABS systems and their wheel sensors, it's obvious that GM knows of these issues for years in their trucks!! I've taken my truck into the dealership where I bought it brand new in 2006 and they told me that it was my problem to get it fixed!! I replaced the drivers side wheel bearing after it failed in 2010 with a GM wheel bearing and their service tech told me that GM would replace it for free but yet they hold no responsibility for the original GM wheel bearings!! this is a disaster waiting to happen to all GM truck owners!

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 252012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 40 mph, the brakes failed to respond to deceleration attempts. The vehicle was able to be driven to the contact's home and upon inspection, it was discovered that the brake lines were completely rusted. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic but was repaired by the contact. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 88,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 242011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

At low speeds when coming to a stop, the ABS will activate for no reason. Apart from being an annoyance, this also causes a longer stopping distance which poses a hazard if there is another vehicle in front of you. The right sensor was replaced in 3/2011 and the left sensor was replaced in 11/2012. It seems odd that both would fail and judging by the number of complaints for the same issue listed on here and multiple other websites, I think it's time for GM to step up and admit a continued problem with this. There was a recall for this issue up to 2002, I think it's time it is extended.

- Dawson, IL, USA

Nov 012012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

The ABS would come on at normal or low speeds. Stopping at the end of driveway, or going through town at 35 miles an hour, stopping at red lights and stop signs. And the noise got louder and louder. Our mechanic told me that he had seen this in several Silverado pick ups.

- East Nassau, NY, USA

Nov 282012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

While driving 2006 Chevy Silverado pick up truck, my wife experienced sudden and total brake failure. When she pressed on brakes to slow vehicle, pedal fell to floor and brakes were unresponsive. My wife barely avoided an accident and pulled into shopping center. After arriving at scene to retrieve my wife, I checked brake fluid level, which was below "minimum". I added a full can of brake fluid, and had her press brakes while vehicle was stationary. I could hear hissing, and saw liquid spray escape under pressure from under hood. Mechanic later informed me that brake line for front brakes was rusted through and brakes failed when system pressure from applying brakes burst the rusted line. He said my wife was lucky she didn't crash or worse. He advised me that entire undercarriage was very rusted and other parts were so rusted that in order to bleed air from brake system, they had to replace rusted calipers. I am concerned about safety of this vehicle and based on my review of other drivers' complaints and internet forums, it appears catastrophic brake failure is a widespread and pervasive problem for GM Silverado vehicles. See https://sites.google.com/site/gmbadbrakes/ please investigate this as a matter of public safety.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Sep 192012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 6-cyl

The brakes on this vehicle fail at low speeds (approx. 5 mph). This is a known problem for this vehicle. Chevy has issued a technical bulletin on this problem (low speed ABS activation, bulletin #03-05-25-007C). I had this problem repaired in October 2010. Now the same problem is occurring again, roughly 10,000 miles later. Information about this problem is readily available online. Many Silverado owners have complained about it. Please advise if there has been any recall action on this issue. I believe there was a recall on prior models, but not 2006 and beyond models, although it is clearly still a problem.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Nov 052012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Left my driveway at 5am to go to work. At the end of the block is a stop sign. Applied my brakes and the pedal went all the way down to the floor. Could not stop and went thru the stop sign. There was not lights or warning concerning the brakes. At further inspection I saw that the rear brake line was rusted thru. Noticed that all the other brake lines are on the verge of rusting thru as well. A very scary sight.

- Savannah, GA, USA