2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 022016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V381000 (air bags). The manufacturer declined to repair the vehicle per the recall. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Haslet, TX, USA

Nov 012011

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

We have a dash crack from driver side to passenger side not all the way just cracks in different areas; however what worries us the most is the 2" crack at the left hand corner of where the passenger airbag is. The specific area is top left hand corner of the airbag seam there is a crack and I truly worry about the airbag deploying and shooting plastic pieces everywhere from that crack.

- Panama City, FL, USA

Jul 282016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I have various cracks in my dash. There is a large one in the middle of the dash. This one occurred just this year (2016). But the other is more concerning, especially since it is up against the passenger airbag. This one has existed for several years (2014 or earlier). I didn't think about this being a problem until the takata airbag recall came up. I am worried that should I get into an accident, that the cracked plastic will become loose debris, and cause additional harm to any passengers. An interesting thing I've noticed is a popping noise coming from the dash. This occurs after I have been driving with the air conditioner on for a while. When I perform a google search, this seems to be a fairly common problem. In fact, there is a facebook group that has about 5000 members - https://www.facebook.com/groups/gmdashcrack/ - this is how I found out about this website. I am uploading 2 pictures. The image ending in 27, is the center crack. You'll notice that it is split completely for the full depth of that piece. The image ending in 32, is the crack that sits next to the passenger airbag. I am unable to determine if these cracks occurred while driving or not. They just seemed to appear over time.

- Leander, TX, USA

Jun 202016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Dash board is cracking on passenger side by airbag in tow places and on driver side by window vent

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

Jun 132016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Service airbag light came on this morning after start up. Restarted truck to see if warning would clear. I still have the message and believe there's something wrong with the airbag or the sensors.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jul 042012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My dash board is cracked and getting worse as the crack grows. The crack is behind the passenger side airbag and will cause the airbag to deploy in an unsafe maner and also cause extra debrie to fly around when the airbag does deploy due to the faulty dash that affects 2007-2013 GM trucks and SUV's

- Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Dec 202015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

My air bag makes a small noise and my air bag light is on...check air bag

- Marion, IN, USA

Feb 152016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The contact noticed multiple fractures around the location of the passenger side frontal air bag. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 79,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Troutdale, VA, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2009 Silverado cracked passenger side dash board had it replaced by GMC dealer and it cracked again same place as the first crack. Truck has less then 77 thousand miles.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 042016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I got out of work and the service airbag light came on so immediately I turned it off and started my truck again thinking it was just something weird that didn't register right. It has sence been 3 day so I looked up recalls on my truck and the recalls were for my 09 truck but my VIN didn't quite match the "affected" vehicles. I was stationary and it was snowing outside. The recall said there was an acoustic pad that prevented the sensor from working correctly.

- Spencer, MA, USA

Dec 242015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Crack in dash board neat passenger airbag. May break off during deployment and cause injury.

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Cracked dashboard near passenger airbag. Can present a hazard if passenger airbag deploys and the dashboard fails in a way that can send broken pieces, injuring the passenger more severely during a collision.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Dec 012015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Cracksi N dash around passenger air bag, concerns are: Flying shrapnel during deployment

- Bogalusa, LA, USA

Jan 122016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

#09184 airbag light stays on and message service airbags is on.

- Gibraltar, MI, USA

Jan 202016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Cracking identified near the passenger side airbag on the dash of the truck. Discovered when replacing truck windshield. Cracking also seen on opposite side of dash.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Mar 162012

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Several cracks in my dash (4-5). One is at the corner of the passenger airbag. The dash is so brittle it cracks from just closing the door. I'm afraid what might happen if I'm in an accident and broken dash pieces go flying throughout the cab. This is no doubt a safety concern! not to mention an eye sore and resale killer. This started a few years ago and continues to get worse.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Jan 212015

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 lt has a big crack on the dashboard on top of the airbag for the front passenger side.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 082014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Dash cracked at corner of passenger airbag noticed around 55,000 miles. Engine consuming oil, noticed around 40,000 miles. Front breaks vibrating, noticed around 18,000 miles. Dealer and GM has refused to fix.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 132014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while having the annual service performed, the technician notified that contact that the front bumper was exposed to water causing a shortage in the sensor. The failure caused the air bag light to illuminate and it would prevent the air bag from deploying during a crash. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 76,600. Updated 12/9/14 the consumer stated the left front crash sensor had water damage. The vehicle was repaired. Updated 6/1/2015

- Detour, MI, USA

Oct 122014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

The dash on my 2009 Chevrolet Silverado has cracked around the passenger side air bag. This concerns me as if the air bag deploys this will cause pieces of the dash to injure the person it is supposed to protect. There is numerous information on the internet with people with the same problem. I took this to the Chevrolet dealer I bought the vehicle from in foley al and they refuse to do anything about it.

- Gulf Shores , AL, USA