2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid:

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Hybrid Owner Comments

Jan 082016

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

I bought this used 2013 truck in late Nov 2015. When making (usually) a right turn at low speed, especially from a stop like entering traffic from an inclined access driveway, occasionally (maybe 3 times per month) there is a sudden and total failure of power assist in steering, making the turn extremely difficult and unable to keep from drifting out of the intended lane of travel. Collisions were avoided several times by (thankfully) oncoming traffic veering out of the way. This sudden loss of steering control particularly at this unexpected time while accelerating to negotiate a traffic entry is extremely dangerous. This one-ton truck is not like a subcompact that is easy to turn 90 degrees without power steering, believe me. If my wife were driving, the truck would surely go completely across all lanes of oncoming traffic. After completing the turn, the power steering returns to normal, however the power assist steering on this 2013 truck has always been far less effective than my previous identical model, but 8 years older Chevy diesel one-ton truck.

- Salem, OR, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

At parking speeds the steering gets like if power steering is dead. Took it to dealership who noticed problem and said it was "normal". parking can become a risky maneuver. Ps fluid and belt are normal.

- Miami, FL, USA

Aug 042014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Trying to turn in driveway at home, pickup truck surged ahead, causing head-on collision with fire hydrant, steering wheel locked up, seatbelt locked up, doors would not unlocked. My wife sustained numerous injuries. Complained to insurance company to no avail. GM showed up at my house for computer analysis, process still ongoing. Truck in shop for surging waiting on results. My wife will not operate truck anymore.

- Blooming Grove, TX, USA

Jul 172014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

We have many problems with our truck. I don't remember all the dates so I am starting with the most recent and will work back. On 7/17/14 I was driving down the highway when the steering wheel of my truck locked up on me and the truck would no longer accelerate. I could no longer steer. Had I not been trying to make a lane change when it happened, I would have been ran over by 2 semis who then had to scramble to avoid hitting me. One took the turn lane while the other almost ran a car off the road to get around me. Everything else on the truck was still working, lights, ac, radio, windows, everything, just not steering. One time I turned on my truck and could not switch through the gears so that I could drive and the dash had no information on it (no compass, temp reading, mileage). It would move through the gears but it wouldn't drive. I had to turn my truck on and off 3 times before I could drive. Our driver side window no longer auto rolls down, our bumper is falling apart and we have never been in an accident, the drivers door leaks when it rains, and our door locks will occasionally not disengage so when we go to shut the door it just bounces of the latch. This has caused one of our doors to come off the hinges and almost fall off our truck. We have had all 4 door locks replaced and they are still doing it.

- Bryan, TX, USA

Aug 082013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 4-cyl

The problem I have been having has been going on for almost a year. The steering wheel seems to have a "dead spot" in it when the steering wheel is turned 3/4 turn to 1 complete turn. You can feel the slack in the steering box when making a turn(left or right)the steering wheel will have up to 2 1/2 inches of "free play" when turning(there is no "free play" when driving straight) it has been doing this since the day I bought the pickup new off of the lot. I have had it looked at since then and been told by GM mechanics that it is the steering gear. If you tighten up the steering gear it will take the "free play" out, but the steering will be more sensitive when driving down the road. So tightening up the steering gear solves one problem but causes problems elsewhere"?" according to the federal motor carrier safety administration(fmcsa) section 393.209 steering wheel systems. That(depending on the size of steering wheel) the steering wheel lash shall not exceed 14 degrees angular rotation for manual steering or 30 degrees angular rotation for power steering systems at any given position of the steering wheel. With rules and regulations like that on commercial vehicles, how is my personal vehicle considered "safe" with 2 1/2 inches of "free play" in the steering wheel"?"

- North Bend, NE, USA

May 082014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

Traveling at 55 mph steering locked up and was unable to steer the vehicle. 15 minutes later did the same thing at 45 mph during busy traffic and again approximately 10 minutes later at 45 mph.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Apr 012014

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

I was traveling at 55 miles per hour on a 2 lane highway. Vehicle became unresponsive to steering and brakes were not working correctly. Peddle had to be pushed all the way to the floor. Got vehicle slowed down and turned off. Once restarting steering was very tight but functional. Similar incident in 2013 resulted in an accident. Several more steering issues since December of 2013. Has been taken in for service and nothing has ever been fixed.

- Radcliff, KY, USA

Sep 042013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 4WD 8-cyl

Traveling at about ten miles per hour. Vehicle became unresponsive to any attempt to steer and a loud ding noise played. Vehicle struck concrete light pole. Had been driving the vehicle for an hour and had just came off of the interstate. Pulled into a parking lot and that is when steering quit working.

- Sterling, IL, USA

Feb 022013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed without warning and the steering wheel became hard to turn. The failure recurred intermittently. The dealer test drove the vehicle but was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 3,289 and current mileage was 11,500.

- Canoga Park , CA, USA

Apr 192013

Silverado 1500 Hybrid 8-cyl

Traveling 70 mph on freeway, naturally veering left to right went to correct to the right and steering wheel locked up. I could turn to the left more but could not correct back to the right. Had to slow down to about 35 mph nearly causing someone to rear-end me, then it finally broke loose. The entire ordeal lasted aprox. 12 seconds before it was corrected.

- Springport, MI, USA