5.5

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2001 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments

Nov 032005

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

2001 Silverado power steering failed when making a left turn. *** no answer required***

- Forsyth, GA, USA

Jun 152005

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The event being reported is the power steering stopped functioning while my 15 year old was driving. There were no signs or warnings of this failure. We were fortunate that the failure occurred in our neighborhood. The failure has been corrected by our local dealer's repair shop replacing the power steering pump.

- Thomaston, GA, USA

Apr 272002

Silverado 2500

While driving 5-10 mph consumer applied brake, the pedal went to the floor, no braking action. Dealer replaced power steering pump.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Apr 272001

Silverado 2500

While driving 5-10 mph powersteering went out, brakes as well. Brake pedal went to the floor. Vehicle was towed to dealer, ower steering pump failed, causing the brakes to fail, as well.

- Brooksville, FL, USA

Dec 182001

Silverado 2500 4WD

When applying the brake the power assist steering fades to nothing after 1/8 turn making it almost impossible to manuver. The power steering pump and gearbox were replaced, the problem still exist. I have had the steering wheel jerk going around curves and having to apply the brake also. I believe this is a definite safety hazzard. GM states that this is just caracteristic of this truck, I do not feel it makes it ok. Something needs to be re-engineered so that the power asist is at constant pressure. I am told by manufacturer that no one has been hurt so there is no problem. It should not come to that. If I, as a business owner produce a product that has a definite problem I cannot tell my customers that is just characteristic of my work, too bad, so why can GM do that? I would appreciate your assistance in reviewing this situation. Thank you, bruce a. quigley.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Apr 112002

Silverado 2500

Power steering went out on vehicle, which also caused power brakes to become inoperative, delaer replaced the power steering pump..

- Blaine, WA, USA