2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Apr 302016

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. While driving various speeds and attempting to slow down by depressing the brake pedal, the brake pedal traveled to the floor and made it very hard to stop. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brakes lines failed due to corrosion and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Stuart, FL, USA

Feb 222016

Rusty brakelines

- Pahoa, HI, USA

Jul 062015

Silverado 2500

About 165,000 miles brake pedal started to pulsate at low speed when stopping.started out only when I would be turning left, now does it going staight, about 170,000 miles now.had new caliper on driver side, new hub assemblie and sensor on passenger side, brake system flushed, still have problems with brake pedal pulsating, does not matter what kind of road I'm on.

- East Berlin, PA, USA

Sep 102015

Silverado 2500

Steel brake lines to ABS control and other steel brake lines rusted through and leaking, must be replaced before brakes fail.

- Newark, OH, USA

Sep 072015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving at a low speed, the contact applied the brake pedal and the ABS kicked in; however, there was a loss of brake function. The stopping distance of the vehicle was dramatically reduced. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that there was a wheel bearing sensor failure. The entire wheel bearing with the sensor was replaced, but the failure recurred multiple times. The contact researched and found NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Waterville , ME, USA

Aug 312015

Silverado 2500

Driving to pick up my son from work on side streets, traveling about 25mph when my brake went to the floor.almost rear ended car at stop sign. Got out of truck and found large spot under my truck, brake fluid. Had it towed to brake shop and mechanic informed me my brake lines were rusting though and needed to replace all brake lines. Also told me he has seen this with 3 or 4 other Chevy trucks lately. Found other complaints after telling my story. Heard this is a known problem with these trucks..I bought this truck new & have had it rust proofed 12 times. Thank you

- Lincoln Park, MI, USA

Aug 122015

Silverado 2500

ABS stopped brake pedal from going down. By the time I lifted and pumped again vehicle struck young girl. Travel was about six feet. There is a recall in other states but not ky.

- Livingston, KY, USA

Jul 302015

Silverado 2500

Was starting out of driveway on slight slope. Applied brakes and antilock system kicked in. Under 5mph. Rolled in front of oncoming traffic. A truck had to veer to avoid collision with us. Became aware there is a known problem but vehicle hadn't been recalled because it is in Kentucky. #05V379000 recall should be extended to ky because of salt for snow and gravel roads.

- Livingston, KY, USA

Jun 022015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle would not stop when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact had to use the emergency brake to force the vehicle to stop. The dealer diagnosed that the brake lines were leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 99,610.

- San Benito, TX, USA

May 022015

Silverado 2500

Unloading my boat, brake peddle went down to floor, didnnt know what happened, no light appeared on dash, secondary breaks didnt work either, held with parking brake.

- Bucyrus, OH, USA

Apr 012015

Silverado 2500

When you are traveling real slow or parking the antilock brakes kick in making I difficult to stop. I talked to Chevrolet customer service and they will do nothing for me. Although it is the same design issue that they have recalled on recall #05V37900, the say my truck is not covered.

- Warroad, MN, USA

Mar 162015

Silverado 2500 6-cyl

Rusted out brake line to rear brakes along frame rail on my 2002 Silverado 4 X 4. thank god no one was injured. This truck I purchased brand new and has never seen any winter weather until 2013. I was involved in a unrelated accident in Jan. 2013 and the truck sat at a body shop until the end of May 2013. This year I had to use my truck. Should a brake line have rusted thru prematurely? I don't think so. I think GM should be accountable for this failure and reimburse all people affected by this substandard part failure.

- Dallas, PA, USA

Jan 082015

Silverado 2500

I own a 2002 Chevy Silverado, and I have had the brakes fail on me multiple times the first time I encountered this issue was in early January when I was driving to school and I approached a stop sign and when I went to slow down I had no brakes and my vehicle rolled into the street luckily I wasn't go very fast and there were no cars coming so I didn't get hit. The repairs cost me 175$, that was repairing the problem to bare minimum (single brake line replacement). After I fixed that issue I ran into another problem, the ABS brake system will now spontaneously turn on when I come to a stop, it resulted in a three car crash, I was going to back into a parking spot and when I pulled my truck forward I tried to stop and the ABS locked up my trucks brakes (not slippery out) and forced me to hit two other vehicles, one was majorly damaged and another with minor yet still severe damage, this accident ended with me paying more in insurance and having to fix the damages on my own vehicle out of pocket. I will also in the very near future need to replace all my brake lines because they are on the verge of failing and I am being priced near 900$ for the repairs, I am not sure how much the ABS problem is going to be because the truck has been parked ever since the incident, the brakes are costing me a lot of money and hardship.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Mar 142015

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Went to get safety check, mechanic noticed brake fluid leaking from undercarriage and noticed leak in brake line. Brake line corroded and rusty with puncture.

- Wailuku, HI, USA

Jun 172014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While slowing down at a stop light at approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal failed to respond and the contact had to depress the brake pedal several times to stop the vehicle. Once the vehicle stopped, the ABS and brake warning indicators illuminated. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was recently repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 05V379000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. However, the brakes were replaced and the failure persisted. The failure recurred on several occasions. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000. Updated 04/06/15

- Clay, MI, USA

Feb 182015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

While driving, had to make a sudden stop, appled the brake peddle hard, brakes appled then went down to to floor. Brake lines behine the cab rupturd, do to badly rusted lines.

- Glenville, PA, USA

Jan 152015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 10 mph, the brakes failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the brake line was rusted and the ABS module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000....updated 03/31/15 updated 6/22/2015

- Knoxville , TN, USA

Jan 252015

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

As I was driving I approached a traffic light and applied the brakes. As I applied them, the pedal never offered much resistance and eventually went to the floor. I suspected that a flexible brake line had ruptured so I got off the street as quickly as I could. I examined the inside of all of the wheels where I thought that brake fluid might be evident. There was none to be seen. I limped home with the vehicle and examined it more closely. There was a major leak under the floor of the vehicle in a rigid brake line leading to the anti-lock brake controller. I researched the issue on the internet and found that GM has refused to issue a recall for rusted brake lines. In my opinion these lines should be of the highest quality material to be found. GM, however, must not think that the safety of their customers warrants any better materials than the rust prone metal that the brake lines are manufactured from.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Sep 262011

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

On 26 September 2011 said vehicle had to have all brake lines and other brake parts replaced due to excessive rust/rusting out at 71,012 well maintained miles at a cost of $1300 plus. On 30 December 2014 said vehicle had to have all fuel lines and fuel filler tube replaced due to excessive rust/rusting out at 90,790 well maintained miles at a cost of $1800.oo plus.

- Port Deposit, MD, USA

Nov 122014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 45 mph, the brakes failed to stop the vehicle and the ABS warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the mechanic informed the contact that there was brake line failure. The brake lines were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 144,000.

- Danbury, CT, USA