2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 8)

Sep 092014

Silverado 2500

Brake lines are rusted out. I was driving down the highway, coming to a stop light and the line let go as I applied the brakes.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Mar 122014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Brake lines roted out total system failed no brakes got to stop on E brake clamped line added fluid to get home changed all lines.

- Preston , CT, USA

Aug 092014

Silverado 2500

I was backing my boat down the boat ramp when the brakes went to the floor. Parked the truck and seen a puddle under driver side rear tire area. Drove home slowly on back roads and pulled it into my garage to see where the leak was coming from. Found the brake line rusted above the frame just before it turns to come down to the block that connects to the rubber line. I spliced in a new section of brake line, bled the brakes and ok again. Welcome to

- Menomonie, WI, USA

Apr 292014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while attempting to stop at a stop sign, excessive force was applied to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake line was fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Jul 292014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brakes gave out, could not hardly stop the vehicle, come to find out after doing a google search the years between 1999 and 2003 the ( NHTSA ) is investigating and had other complaints about these problems. I called to see if GM had a recall on the the vehicle and I was told they had not. The GM customer assist department gave a case number. Reason corrosion on some of the brake lines.

- Felton, DE, USA

Jul 232014

Silverado 2500

I was driving home in my 2003 Silverado from work and had to apply brakes for a car that had came to a sudden halt. When I applied the brakes, briefly they caught as normal, but then suddenly the brake pedal went to the floor. Was too late for any warning as it happened with a car in front of me. Thankfully I was able to avoid a crash although narrowly. There had been no signs of brake fluid leakage or anything else before the incident. Took to a mechanic who informed me the brake lines had given way. This type of incident should never occur. Brake lines shouldn't simply rust and give way. The lines should be inspected by GM and an immediate recall made. My case is not the only case that has happened as there have been several news reports and message boards filled with similar experiences. I am a very loyal GM customer, but GM owes it to their customers to ensure their safety. This is extremely dangerous and very well could lead to death and/or serious injury if happening at the wrong time and place.

- La Follette, TN, USA

Jul 182014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

On July 18, 2014 while driving at approximately 45 mph I went to press the brakes and the peddle went to the floor. I pulled over and looked under my truck. I notice that the four brake line under the drivers door were all rusted and one broke. I searched the internet and see that this is a common problem with this truck. This is a safety concern and could get someone hurt or killed.

- Nanuet, NY, USA

Jun 262014

Silverado 2500

While vehicle was pulling a trailer loaded with a race car, the truck started grinding down with a knocking noise..unattached trailer from truck and brought home...rear-end cover had rusted and leaked out all the fluid...while changing that noticed that the break line underneath the plastic cover under passenger side door had rusted in two( the brake line on each side of this cover looked good it was only underneath the cover) but upon further examination all brake lines are starting to corrode... there are 3 Silverado in my family two 2003 and a 2002. In 2 different states( one of them travels through the highest mountain in Kentucky (black mountain). When told the other owners of this problem they inspected there vehicles and sure enough all of them have corroded and breaking brake lines...had it not been for god warning us with the grinding noises...what would have happened to not only all my family members driving but whomever was riding with them!!!!!!!!

- Martinsville, IN, USA

Jul 122014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The vehicle was stopped, the brake was applied to put the truck in reverse and the brake pedal went to the floor. The passenger side front brake line ruptured due to rust. All the brake lines were rusty and need to be replaced. I am very lucky that the vehicle was not on the highway when this happened. I pointed this problem out to the Chevy dealer when the vehicle was relatively new and still under warranty (2 or 3 years old) and was told this is normal and should not be a concern. The brake lines were showing rust after a year or so.

- Cranford, NJ, USA

Oct 142009

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While backing out of drive I lost braking action. The line servicing the rear brakes rusted/corroded allowing the brake fluid to escape and resulted in no brakes.

- Denver, NC, USA

Jul 032014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the brakes failed without warning. The contact mentioned that when the brake pedal was depressed it sank into the floorboard. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Hurricane, WV, USA

Jul 042014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Vehicle was parked in driveway and when I engaged the brake pedal to put car in reverse there was no resistance. Pedal went to floor and the truck did not slow down when brake pedal pressure was repeatedly applied.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jun 302014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Driving to work this morning. I approached a stop sign, put my foot on the brake, the pedal hit the floor, the dash warnings came on, and the truck wouldn't stop and went right into the intersection. Fortunately there were no oncoming vehicles. There was no warning until total failure happened. I checked the fluid, it was low, but in the acceptable range. Then I looked underneath. The left rear undercarriage was covered and dripping with brake fluid, upon further inspection I found that the breaklines are corroded through. Scheduled with a mechanic later this pm for a complete inspection of the system.

- Cheltenham, PA, USA

Oct 152012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Backing out of driveway, brake pedal went to floor with no resistance or slowing the vehicle. No warning lights until brakes failed. 3 brake lines replaced due to being rusted out @~$1700. 11 months later second failure exiting a highway at 65 mph, again no warnings until brakes failed, ~$350 repair for additional brake line repairs. 10 months later, sudden traffic slow down at highway speeds, no warnings until after brake failure. ~$180 repair for yet another section of brake lines and very close accident. In all 3 cases this was complete brake failure with brake pedal going all the way to the floor with no resistance or ability to slow let alone stop the vehicle.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Jun 202014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Performing routine maintenance on truck. Noticed steel brake lines are excessively rusted, given the care this truck has received. While now 11 years old, the rest of the truck is not showing any signs of corrosion or rust. But the brake lines alone are rusted to the point of near failure with substantial scaling, and will need to be replaced very soon to prevent an accident. Clearly this is a manufacturing defect/inferior materials, and it will be extremely costly for me, as dealers are quoting $1000 plus parts to replace all the steel brake lines. I am grateful to have noticed before an actual loss of brakes and an accident. I am original owner of this vehicle and purchased it new in 2003.

- Whitestown, IN, USA

May 302014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake failure without warning. Brake lines rusted thru, loss of brake fluid, pumping will not help, and no warning until pedal reaches the floor. Service center says all brake lines need to be replaced.

- Berwick, ME, USA

May 162014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Going 49mph, then turned on left turn, slowed to about 20mph and started to turn left, when brake peddle went completely to the floor. Had vehicle towed to townsend bros. Chevrolet. Miles in 64,143.0 estimate charges only $48.93 verified loss of brake pressure due to rotted brake lines. Rec.replacing all brake lines from end to end. Cost to replace, $789.94..... estimate total to be, ,$1,442.99 with extras I did want. Only willing to pay for fuel filter replacement for $60...

- Marydel, DE, USA

May 242014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was loaded up on my 2003 2500hd Chevrolet Silverado for the weekend holiday camp trip with truck camper, and boat on trailer behind. For last minute safety my partner was inside the truck and I outside to test the brake lights, signals usual stuff before taking off. For no reason at all the brakes went to the floor and brake fluid all over the ground on the driver side of the vehicle. In looking closer the second line from the driver door on top of the frame has a split in it. I have now looked at the numerous complaints on this happening to other people. I have looked at GM's response for this obvious defect in the brake system and tend to wonder how many persons at GM would purchase a vehicle for themselves or their loved ones knowing of this huge safety issue. The complaints are not just in salt related places. Even if they were does GM not build their vehicles for all states and road conditions"?? I can say I am one of the lucky ones that this just happened in our driveway. Where were going entailed mountain driving and I do not believe the outcome would have been the same if it were to happen then I keep thinking about this daily and the fear that goes with the thought of, what if we were in the mountains" does not go away. I will not drive this vehicle again until I have replaced all the brake lines with stainless steel ones and it is going to be costly. I should not have to do this nor should have all the other persons who have had to. This is an unbelievable safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately before some fatality happens if not already. These vehicles need to be safe in all driving conditions and areas period. GM needs to recall these vehicles on this which I understand is 6.1 million. I am appalled they have not already recalled on this and portrayed such a lame excuse as to not do something about it. Please fix this now!

- Sedro Woolley, WA, USA

May 102014

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

My 2003 Chevrolet Silverado has now had 3 brake line failures resulting in no ability to use the brakes. The last failure occurred on May 10, 2014 while driving in a Suburban area. Luckily, it was late in the evening with no traffic and I was able to use my emergency brake to avoid an accident. I have previously filed a complaint (10567344) after my last failure in December 2013. Updated 11/24/2014

- Columbus, IN, USA

May 072014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

One of the hydraulic brake lines in front of the ABS module burst due to corrosion causing loss of all brake fluid. This was sudden with no warning, no lights to warn of brake fluid loss..EA11001.

- Greenlawn, NY, USA