2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Jan 022013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Rusted brake lines, vehicle would not stop.

- Hedgesville, WV, USA

Apr 072014

Silverado 2500 4WD 6-cyl

Brake lines fuel lines and trans lines all rusted out the truck is rust free body and frame the lines are faulty as this is a problem with these trucks.

- Honey Brook, PA, USA

Apr 022012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake line rusted through. Avoided accident by driving on shoulder of the road. Vehicle towed. Repairs made $1,800+.

- Emmaus, PA, USA

Jun 202012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I had one front brake line fail found at time of repairs the other was starting to leak had to replace both lines.

- Newark, NY, USA

May 082013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Hit brakes the ABS system activates and the brake pedal goes to the floor truck does not stop. This happens at all speeds. The ignition shuts off when driving down the road around 35 mph. The truck has been to multiple shops and lots of parts replaced cannot get the brakes or ignition fixed. This has been going on for over 6 months.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Apr 012013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake lines are completely rusted out and leaking. One was replaced last year. Frame has been rusty since truck was new. Vehicle has only 63000 miles. Most of them have been highway.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Mar 152014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while braking for an exit, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard as the brakes failed to respond. The contact mentioned that the emergency brake was engaged and the vehicle was able to come to a stop. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was contributed to the brake lines, which were found to be corroded, and caused brake fluid to leak. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 84,000.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Oct 022013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

We were driving on US19 in new port richey, fl, when traffic slow down for a red light and I lost all brakes had to veer off the road almost got into a head on accident, the only way to stop was by using the emergency brakes, could not change the gears, everything just froze. We just moved from Connecticut a year ago. Now the instrument gauge cluster panel is not working, RPM, speedometer is not reading at all, it just states on 0, this is the second time it happened in about 2 months.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Mar 052014

Silverado 2500

I got off interstate hit my brakes to stop at light when I hit my brakes it made a noise and went to the floor I almost hit another car in the rear had to run a stop light because it wouldn't stop some one could have been hurt bad this has happened to me twice. I was told my brake line was rusted which I had it replaced about 2 months ago and my ABS lights come on and it dings.

- Procious, WV, USA

Feb 212014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact stated that while driving 10 mph, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard when depressed. The contact took the vehicle to an independent mechanic, who stated that the brake lines were rusted and fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 150,568.

- Flat Rock, MI, USA

Feb 242014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The brake lines on this truck are so rusted so are the fuel lines I'm surprised even stops or that the fuel lines haven't burst yet I have ABS light on and service brake system because everything is so rusted and now have a short somewhere so anytime you hit a bump warning light flashes and it starts dinging and warning lights flashes service brake system... there is no reason for this to be rusted like it does this vehicle is washed at least once a week it is in immaculate shape.

- Waterford, WI, USA

Feb 012014

Silverado 2500

On the listed date, I was driving my vehicle as described above. I attempted to apply the brakes in a curve when the pedal went straight to the floor and I ran my vehicle off the roadway causing minor damage to the vehicle. My greatest concern however, is the post accident research I conducted on the brake system of my vehicle. My research indicates that there have been thousands of owners who reported to GM that the same model of truck as mine had brake systems that prematurely reached failure. Specifically, they rusted prematurely causing my brake system to completely leave my vehicle in a dangerous operational position. Upon investigation of the lines, each of the 5 lines in the system was experiencing the same rust issues and needed to all be replaced. I feel it should be the responsibility of GM to replace my brake system via recall.

- Mount Sterling, KY, USA

Jan 292014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake line burst do to rust. Had vehicle towed and found all the brakelines very bad. Also the fuel lines are rotted with the return line leaking fuel. I had 1 rear brake line replaced in 2012 which was also rusted out.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Jan 162014

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 hd. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph the brake pedal was engaged and there was no response. The brake pedal suddenly traveled to the floorboard without warning. The contact began to down shift in addition to applying the emergency brake. The vehicle came to a stop and the contact was able to drive to his residence. The contact noticed that the hydraulic brake line ruptured and caused fluid to leak excessively onto the ground. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Kokoma, IN, USA

Jan 202014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While backing my truck out of my home driveway, I stepped on the brake and it went immediately to the floor. The brake warning light on the dash illuminated, a warning chime sounded, and the message center flashed an alert to "service brakes soon". I had almost no response at from the brakes; fortunately the street was level so I was able to quickly coast to a stop. I immediately pulled the truck back into the driveway and parked it. When I got out to investigate, I immediately noticed a small pool approximately a foot in diameter of brake fluid on the driveway surface just behind the driver's side front tire, along with a trail that lead back to the street. Brake fluid was dripping from the lines at the frame where it makes the bend upward at the front edge of the cab. Closer inspection with a flashlight revealed that all the brake lines are excessively rusted and one or more of them appears to have burst where the lines go over the frame rail into the engine compartment. All lines will have to be replaced before this vehicle is safe to drive again. This vehicle was purchased used (60K miles) in Florida in 2006, moved to Washington state (seattle area) in 2008, and then moved again to northern Virginia in late 2009. It has had minimal exposure to road salt, ice or snow conditions in the time that I have owned it.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 122014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was traveling in icy conditions (rain and 26 degrees) and was turning the corner to go into a local mall when I stepped on the brakes, the pedal went to the floor. There was no warning whatsoever and had to apply the brakes with both feet to coast to a stop. I added in a bottle of brake fluid into the master cylinder and had my son step on the brakes, and a gusher came out of the line right under the drivers door. In looking underneath the vehicle, all of the lines seem to run there and all look extremely rusted to the point where I can't tell which is bad. If this had happened 4 minutes before, I was traveling down an extremely steep grade and feel that both my son and I would have been killed. After searching the internet on this issue, it looks like this has been investigated by the NHTSA since 2010 with no findings whatsoever. This is absolutely in excusable. I'm not sure what I am looking for as far as repairs go but am really thankful that my son and I are still alive. What is it going to take to get a ruling on this" does someone have to die"

- Esko, MN, USA

Jan 082014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

While driving down rte. 188 in seymour, ct (steep decline) a deer crossed in front on me causing me to apply the brakes very firmly. As the truck slowed, the pedal pressure suddenly disappeared and the pedal went all the way to the floor. No lights or warnings illuminated in the instrument cluster. As I approached the stop sign in front of me, I was unable to bring the vehicle to a stop. Fortunately (as this is incredibly rare) there was no traffic in either direction, and I was able to continue through the intersection without event. It was only due to extremely good luck that there was no accident. The vehicle was undriveable from that point.

- Seymour, CT, USA

Sep 302009

Silverado 2500

I was stopped on boat ramp and started to back up when brake pedal went all the way to the floor.we were very lucky to not launch boat and truck into river at the same time. We then had the truck towed to our local garage and the brake line was repaired. The mechanic told me that the brake line was rusted.this has happened twice now.the second time I was stopping at a red light and the pedal went straight to the floor. Chevy says you don't lose complete braking but I would like to see the CEO have it happen to him. This problem will make me sell this truck.I will not be driving this vehicle again..I hope the nhtsb will make Chevy either address this problem or fix it before someone either gets seriously hurt or killed.

- Lanexa, VA, USA

Dec 162013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

2 problems. Anti-lock brakes pulsate intermittently. Engine 6.0L exhaust manifold bolts are broken. Causing emissions codes to set and exhaust gases into cab. I have found that this a common problem for 1999 to 2007 V8 engines. GM said there is no recall or warranty for this problem.

- Millbury, MA, USA

Dec 142013

Silverado 2500

Brake line rupture due to rust. I was backing up in my driveway to hook up a small trailer when I felt and heard a small pop and the break pedal went right to the floor. Service brake system appeared on dash panel.

- Deptfrod, NJ, USA