2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Jun 072010

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

After a 3 mile ride, backing up truck noticed smoke then flames coming out from under the hood. Fire melted all electical lines, destroyed hood and windshield. Weather was perfect, air conditioning may have been on.

- Canterbury, NH, USA

Aug 012010

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Speedometer randomly increases, decrease or will not work at all. Oil gauge fluctuates also the heater resistors burned up.

- Springtown, TX, USA

Nov 272008

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

My speedometer reads 125+ mph when I'm only driving 55mph according to my gps. My oil pressures gauge and ammeter also indicate readings in excess of mechanical limits.

- Frazeysburg, OH, USA

Oct 142011

Silverado 2500

The instrument cluster guages are all failing. I did not realize it until I received a ticket for speeding and found out my speedometer was not working correctly.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 282009

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the speedometer was reading inaccurately. A local mechanic diagnosed that the instrument panel cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer and manufacturer were notified of the failure, but did not offer any assistance with the repair. The failure mileage 43,000 and the current mileage was 63,900.

- Clintwood, VA, USA

Mar 152011

Silverado 2500

I have a 2003 Chevy Silverado. I've started having trouble with the electronic dash. About two months ago it sometimes came on then off, but now it just stays off. Nothing shows up. I have no clue how much gas I have, how fast I am going, how many miles on the truck etc... now I am told that it happens a lot with Chevy's. the only way to get it fixed is to bring it in and taken apart then has to get sent out so then can computerize it to that truck. There is no other way, and that will take between a week or two. Crazy!!!! now I have to rent a car in the mean time. Chevy needs to pay for this.

- Medford, NY, USA

Jun 152010

Silverado 2500

I have an 03 Chevy Silverado. My speedometer works intermittently if at all. When it does work it is usually off by a good bit (high and low). It has never been in an accident and is a one owner. I googled "Silverado speedometer bad" and found hundreds of similar complaints as mine. It is a regularly occurring problem for me and many others as well. Dealer says it is a $500 repair. I now rely on my gps which has a speedometer feature on it.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Apr 302010

Silverado 2500

In-dash gear selector light is inoperable. Light stopped burning for no reason and during the day time can not see what gear the vehicle is currently in. There is a possibility that vehicle could not be in park and could roll away from vehicle operator when it was thought to be in a parked position. To fix the light one large part that covers multiple dash components is replaced not just a single component and this part costs hundreds of dollars even if other components are working fine. This component also has to be installed by a dealership since it covers the odometer.

- Fort Polk, LA, USA

Dec 212009

Silverado 2500

2003 Chevy Silverado speedometer. Started giving incorrect readings last month. Now unit is stuck at 45 mph. Sometimes needle will move.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jan 012008

Silverado 2500

I have had speedo problems for over a 1 year. Now it has become regular. This is a safety issue. Chevy told me to go away because I am over mileage requirements. I see I am not alone. There are thousands of wacky speedometers out there. This kind of service has convinced me that Chevy doesn't deserve to be in business anymore. The jokes will no longer be about fix or repair daily (Ford).

- Yuba City, CA, USA

Jul 162009

Silverado 2500

2003 Chevy Silverado 2500hd diesel. Speedometer maxed out when really only doing 45mph. Gauge stuck at maxed out position.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Apr 012009

Silverado 2500

Engine does not idle and shuts off. According to internet sites, its a wire failure in the throttle body connector. Can be a major issue when you come to a stop. Some times will not restart right away.

- Mcewensville, PA, USA

Oct 272006

Silverado 2500

Bought 2003 Silverado 3500 4X4 used in 2006. It had 125,000 miles and ran great. In October 2006, the speedometer started reading inaccurately the oil and battery charge gauge are not accurate either. I consider this a safety issue. I received a letter stating, the instrument panel may be defective. The problem I have is the mileage. It is over the maximum allowed to replace the cluster. I have over 200,000 miles on my truck. The truck runs great and I would not think twice about taking long trips(over 2,000 miles) as I do because of my work. I don't think there should be a mileage limit at all. There is clearly a major problem with the cluster. I think there needs to be a recall period, not just a letter stating there is just a problem. Please look into this again. Thanks D.H

- Doyline, LA, USA

Aug 142008

Silverado 2500

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado with 85,000 miles. The oil pressure gauge on the instrument panel stopped working at 80,000 miles. Without the engine running the needle moves all the way to the maximum. I have herd from many Silverado owners that they have experienced the same problem with there vehicles. Why is there no recall with so many complaints?

- Dacono, CO, USA

Aug 292008

Silverado 2500

Speedometer fails to read, or reports incorrect speed.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jan 082006

Silverado 2500

The daytime running lights have failed due to what appears to be the overheating of the lamp sockets. When you go to replace the lamp' the sockets appears to be burnt and brittle and are missing the little metal tabs used to make contact with the lamp base. You cant replace the lamp. Therefore I only have 1 daytime running light and am worried about a possible fire hazard with the other one. The one that works looks like it's not far from failing and very soon wont be working either. The more I see the amount of GM vehicles (trucks, Silverado, Tahoe, trailblazer, Sierra, Yukon & Envoy's) without two daytime running lights, I really do wonder if GM has a real problem. I see several each and every day without one or both. I have spoke to other owners and they have the same problem with one or both of them. Thank you for your time.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Aug 032007

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving approximately 60 mph, the contact decelerated and the speedometer displayed inaccurate readings. There were no warnings prior to the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The failure was identical to the one mentioned in the recall; however, the vehicle was excluded from the recall due to its excessive mileage. The vehicle has not yet been repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and current mileage was 88,500.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jan 062008

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

On January 5, 2008 I arrived home at 11:30 pm and parked my truck in the garage attached to my house. I went to bed and at around 2:00 am I smelt smoke. I walked through the house checking rooms, when I got to the screen door to the garage the handle was hot. I then went out my front door and called 911. The truck was a loss and part of my garage. In less then 11 months this is the 2nd Chevrolet/Silverado that I have owned that has burnt.

- Rushville, IN, USA

Dec 032007

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

All gauges stopped working on my 2007 Chevy Silverado.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Oct 122007

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I am the owner of a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 truck. Approximately one month after the truck was purchased, it was being driven at about 45 mph and began to lose power while being driven. Pushing on the accelerator made no change. The truck was taken to the dealership from where it was purchased, they tested the truck and reported no problem found. This problem has continued with the truck since that time. The truck has been in service on 4 different occasions, and the dealership reports that they have fixed the problem by replacing the wiring harness, replacing broken wires, replacing wiring that is broken inside insulation etc. This has not resolved the problem to date. The most recent incident occurred when the assistant service manager from the dealership took the truck out for a test drive (for a total of 120 miles), and he reported that the truck never lost power. I picked up the truck and drove it home and later that evening was driving the truck at approximately 45 miles per hour, when the truck began to lose power. Several times when this has occurred, I have narrowly avoided being hit by other vehicles on the road because the truck loses all power within 20 seconds.

- Weatherford, TX, USA