2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 8)

Jul 052012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Approaching an intersection, I applied the brakes and the brake pedal went to the floor. I was able to stop as there was some brake pressure left once I got the pedal all the way to the floor. I carefully drove the truck home and notice a large puddle under the driver side door. I checked underneath and noticed that one of the brake lines had ruptured due to excessive rust. In fact, all of the brakes in that area were severely rusted. I replaced all brakes on the truck with stainless steel lines to insure this problem did not happen again. I tow a large fifth wheel camper with this truck. Luckily this did not occur while I was towing it.

- Bunker Hill, WV, USA

Jul 092012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was traveling on a side road after leaving my home and as I approached the stop sign at the intersection of a main road I applied the brakes and the peddle went all the way to the floor. I actually went right through the stop sign and almost hit another car traveling on the main road. On inspection of the vehicle I found that the brake lines that travel from under the hood along the frame to the anti-lock module are all severely rusted and one had a hole in it. This is a dangerous situation and GM need to do something about it. I am very upset about this because there were little kids in the car I almost hit and I would hate to think of what could have happened. I also noticed that the fuel lines in the same area are also very rotted. This doesn't usually happen unless the vehicle is much older.

- Londonderry, NH, USA

Jul 182012

Silverado 2500

I was moving my truck from one location to another at my house to move around some other vehicles. When I pressed the brake pedal the second time to stop the truck, the pedal went all the way to the floor. I turned the vehicle off, and moved the other vehicles I need to and went to move my truck back to the original location. When moving my truck I had hardly any stopping power, and there was a trail of fluid running from where my truck had been parked to where I moved it to. My truck is not used off road, and had been maintained. I have another vehicle with 245K miles on it and never had to replace the brake lines. I love my truck and now it has to sit, cause I cannot afford to fix it, and cannot drive it with no brakes. Very disappointed!

- Aberdeen, MD, USA

Feb 072011

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

When coming to a stop the brakes operate properly until just under 10mph. Around 10mph it felt like the brakes faded away causing the truck to lurch forward. I replaced pads and rotors on the front and back thinking this was the issue. The problem persisted after installation of new brake components. I later learned this was an issue of the ABS kicking and was informed the entire wheel hub assembly had to be replaced to correct the problem. There were no issues with the bearings in the hubs and could not afford the cost of $280 each. Since this vehicle is not driven daily I assumed I could just be cautious and allow extra braking distance to compensate for the problem. In may of 2012 I encountered a situation where I had to make an abrupt stop from a speed of 45mph. As my speed decreased the ABS engaged causing me to lurch forward and I came within inches of crashing into the vehicle in front of me. While researching this problem I found GM recall #05068C front wheel speed sensor corrosion. The symptoms in this document are identical to the issue I have experienced. I have performed the repair procedure outlined in the document and can report this issue has been resolved. However, it took a significant amount of time and one wheel speed sensor had to be replaced. GM should be required to extend this recall beyond the 2002 model year. I aware of at least 2 other GM truck owners (2005 model year) that have replaced their wheel hubs due to this issue.

- Mount Zion, IL, USA

May 112012

Silverado 2500

Driving 04 Silverado noticed brakes feeling funny.......driving to work pedal went to the floor, made it to work and seen brake fluid pouring out of the line, after closer look realized all the libes are completly corroded......unacceptable for 8 year old vehical......sumthing should B done.

- Corfu, NY, USA