2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Dec 272013

Silverado 2500 4-cyl

Brake lines rusted out. Truck failed to stop within a safe distance on the highway. Brake line gave out on the highway no warning at all. Just a soft, non functioning pedal. Luckily I was able to pull the truck over to the side of the road no accident.

- Port Saint Lucie, FL, USA

Jun 112013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the air bag sensor light was illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic that determined a sensor inside the front bumper was the cause of the defect. The contact also reported that the driver's side rear brake line was rusted and ruptured, which caused the rear brakes to become inoperable. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired for the problem. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Mars, PA, USA

Jan 032014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 20 mph and depressing the brakes, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The contact applied the emergency brake. The contact crashed and rear ended another vehicle. A police report was filed. There were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake lines were corroded and needed to be replaced. The contact stated that he was advised that the parts were on a national back order. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 102,000.

- Grasonville, MD, USA

Dec 162013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph and depressing the brakes, the pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the brake lines were corroded. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Marietta, OH, USA

Jun 222012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Front brake line rusted through and ruptured. Lost all braking ability. Needed to replace all front brake lines. Rear brake line rusted through and ruptured on 12/3/13. Lost all braking ability. Rear brake line replaced. These lines do not stand up to the corrosive elements encountered in the northeast. There are lines that will however. Why put personal safety at risk just to save a few bucks?

- Paradox, NY, USA

Nov 072013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Was driving on the turnpike when a trucked I was following slowed down, I hit my brakes to slow down and the rear brake line blew causing the break pedal to hit the floor. I was lucky nobody was in the left lane. Had to swerve to avoid a major accident. After having the truck looked at, I'm forced to replace all the brake lines because of rust. After reading countless complaints about rusted Chevy brake lines, and almost losing my life. I have decided to file this complaint.. you don't hear of any other manufacturer having this problem. I have an older Ford with well over 130K, that's driven much more. And I have had zero problems with the brake lines rusting. It is driven in the same area. GM needs to be held accountable for using cheap materials just to save some money.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Nov 122013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Approaching a 4 way traffic signaled intersection when signal started to change to yellow. Decided to not proceed through intersection so applied brake pedal to stop. Pedal went directly to floor, brake dashboard light illuminated. Vehicle would not stop and proceeded through intersection, while vehicles to my right proceeded to move. I had no brakes at all. I maneuvered vehicle onto a parallel access road and vehicle eventually rolled to a stop. Upon inspection it was obvious that there was a failure of the braking system, as hydraulic fluid was on the road in the vicinity of the right front of the vehicle...only... I was always aware that I had some braking capacity when I had a brake failure. Following 8 days at a GM dealership and a bill for $2,000, the brake lines were replaced following the diagnosis "rusted/corroded brake lines". a complaint to GM has fallen on deaf ears.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Nov 052013

Silverado 2500

I was driving my truck into my driveway when I put my foot on brake pedal it went to floor, no warning. When I looked under vehicle brake line was leaking, very rusted.

- Dandridge, TN, USA

Oct 182013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Rear steel brake line corroded and blew out causing brake failure. This has happened to four people I know. One of those people had a bad accident. All vehicles were Chevy Silverado.

- Rutherford, NJ, USA

Oct 212013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floor board when depressed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the rear brake line that went over the fuel tank was corroded and would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was being repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Rocky Point, NY, USA

Oct 192013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

As I was driving someone pulled out in front of me so close I had to press on the brake pedal pretty firmly as I did the brakes went to the floor, luckily I have a manual transmission I downshifted in time to miss the other car and pull over only to see the intermediate brake line rusted through along the frame rail.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jul 012013

Silverado 2500

On our 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd the ABS system has been kicking in when coming to a stop and you almost hit the car in front of you. I have read a lot of issues with this and I have not seen a recall for this year of the Chevy truck. The recall only stops at 2002 trucks. How many people have to be injured or killed before you guys decide to recall this year of the Chevy truck"??"

- Strasburg, OH, USA

Aug 222013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

The first incident occurred in August 2013. When backing up (at approximately 5 mph), I stepped on the brakes and the brakes failed. The brake line was replaced over the right side of the rear end housing. On October 3, 2013, another brake line failed causing the brake pedal to go to the floor of the truck. This time the brake line is on the left side of the frame under the driver's compartment.

- Tracys Landing, MD, USA

Sep 172013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While driving home this morning, a car pulled out in front of me from a side street. I hit the brakes and they went to the floor. I had to slam the truck in first gear and pump the brakes like crazy to stop. The brake lines are completely rusted out from front to back. GM refuses to acknowledge there is a problem and told me to have it repaired at my own expense since the warranty had expired. After some research, I find this is a common problem with Silverado and neither GM, nor the NHTSA has addressed this. There needs to be a mandated recall. How many people have to become statistics before someone takes action?

- Blandon, PA, USA

Sep 132013

Silverado 2500

The brake lines are all rusted, I have a big leak and GM says the don't sale replacements, I have a 2000 also same issues both with in a month..I have had a ton of cars and trucks and I never seen anything like this..I feel I was had..I spent a lot of money fixing the wheel bearings and rotors, 3 times..now the lines.. im getting prices like 1200 to fix brake lines and $1400 for fuel lines..the truck in great shape but the lines are defective.

- Elliottsburg, PA, USA

Sep 012013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact stated that while inspecting the brake lines due to brake failure, he found the brake lines were corroded. When the rear bed was removed, he also found that the rear under carriage and the shock mounts were also severely corroded. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 56,000.

- Washington , CT, USA

Aug 232013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact stated that while driving 37 mph, he applied the brakes and the brake pedal abnormally traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle failed to decelerate or stop. The contact began pumping the pedal until the vehicle came to a stop in the middle of an intersection. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that four brake lines were suffering from severe rust and corrosion. Additionally, one of the lines had began to leak. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 67,000.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 132013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The brakes went out backing in to a driveway and all the fluid leaked on to the driveway and street. This could of been very serious if it happened on the highway coming home from picking up furniture. All the brake lines were rusted and had to be replaced"????? costly for us"

- Maysville, PA, USA

Aug 162013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Brake warning message and chimes, total failure at destination within four miles. Service technician at sullivan's northwest hills reported total brake line replacement front to back was needed. All lines were rusted out.

- New Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 162013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I went to slow to make turn and brakes went to the floor suddenly so I used emergency brake to stop. I believe all lines will need to be replaced as other look as rusty. Rust has been an issue for last 2 years with rotors needing replace then bearings in front rusted and anti-lock brake light would come on and pedal would surge. This is the worse Chevy truck I ever bought as even seeing rust already in lower panels and entire frame. Looks bad for only 53,474 miles.

- Southern Pines, NC, USA