2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jul 242013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Driving back to work from lunch on busy 4 lane highway, brake pedal went to floor. Narrowly avoided a collision at a red light. Put flashers on, lowered the gear selector, and used combo of minimal brake pedal and E brake to make it back to the parking lot at work. Upon inspection, large puddle of brake fluid on driver side near gas tank. Large leak in highly corroded brake line. All brake lines in similar condition and are currently being replaced in the shop. Transmission lines and fuel line are in similar highly corroded condition.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Jul 032013

Silverado 2500

Brake pedal went to floor. Brake line above gas tank ruptured.

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Jun 102013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I had a soft brake pedal on my 2005 Silverado. I thought I had a bad master cylinder. I work at an Audi dealership and I was bringing the vehicle to work to check it out. As I approached the driveway to work, the brake pedal went to the floor. I used the emergency brake to slow down and pull into, the driveway. We inspected the vehicle at work and found that a steel brake line under the drivers side that runs along the frame rail had a hole in it due to rust. I find this completely unacceptable that a steel brake line rust through. Chevrolet used a poor material on their brake lines. I have been in the automotive business for 31 years in Connecticut ( yes, salt is used on the roads ) and have worked for Ford, Volvo, Hummer and Audi. I have never seen a brake line rust through. Chevrolet needs to fix this issue at their expense and not the consumers. The dealership wants $1500 to repair using the same brake lines. I have purchased stainless steel lines and will perform the repairs at my shop.

- Coventry, CT, USA

Jan 152013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake line burst due to corrosion causing loss of rear brakes. I have since had three more brake lines (completely different lines) start to leak due to corrosion causing loss of rear brakes again and then front brakes. The brake lines are severely corroded which is unusual on a vehicle with low mileage and less than 10 years old.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Mar 032013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, he depressed the brake pedal but the brakes were hesitant to respond. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed corrosion and brake fluid leaking from the brake lines. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Centerreach, NY, USA

Feb 102013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was driving and applied the brakes for a stoplight when I felt a sudden lack of resistance in the petal. No warning lights were activated at all. I pulled over and pumped the brakes a few times and no pressure was regained. I got out of the truck and noticed a puddle of brake fluid towards the rear. Upon further inspection all od the brake lines were rusted badly and one had ruptured. No warning lights ever came on during the whole ordeal. The truck is under 8 years old and all of the brake lines need to be replaced. Luckily I was not in traffic or traveling faster when this occurred. I have never seen more rust on a newer vehicle in my life. Obviously the rust is beyond cosmetic and has proven to be a hazard.

- Cheshire, CT, USA

Feb 092013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I have a 2005 Silverado 2500hd with 82K miles. I'm the second owner and bought it in 2007. When I got in it a week ago to drive somewhere the brake pedal went to the floor. I checked the brake fluid reservoir and it was completely empty. I had no indication of a problem up to this point. I filled the reservoir but the brakes would not pump up. I looked underneath and saw brake fluid dripping. Upon closer inspection I found the entire set of brake lines and fuel lines were rusted to the point of being rotten. I wiped off the lines to find the leak, and found the fuel line was also leaking. At this point the fittings on the ABS module cannot be removed without breaking or damaging the module. I haven't estimated the cost, but all the lines, brake and fuel, will need to be replaced as well as the ABS module. ## VIN passed ## Chevrolet Silverado 2500 hd 2005 ##

- Mount Orab, OH, USA

Feb 092013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while the brake pedal depressed he noticed that the brake pedal fell to the floor board. The contact applied the emergency brake. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated that the front brake lines were corroded and would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 162006

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving 9 mph, the contact attempted to decelerate but stopping power greatly decreased. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and was informed that the two front ABS sensors had become corroded and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified but offered no assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 15,669 and the current mileage was 65,500. The consumer stated the service did not come out until after the vehicle was out of warranty, therefore; the dealer and manufacturer refused assistance. Stopping distance was increased by at least 2 vehicle lengths.

- Holt, MI, USA

Dec 192012

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

I was driving South on I-95 on the New Jersey turnpike and slowed due to traffic and brakes went to the floor. I pumped them several times and put on the emergency brake and luckily stopped before hitting anyone. I had my whole family in the car, wife, 4 kids as we were heading to Maryland from Connecticut to visit family for christmas. I pulled over and was able to stop again but the brakes never felt quite right again. I had warning list come on several times and had to keep adding brake fluid. When I inspected the leak it was under the drivers door right where the lines sit in their plastic hanger. I also noticed all the other lines were shot as well (as in rusted). This is my family car as I use it for work and every time we go out as a family as well as drive kids to school etc..... I am amazed at the corrosion level and am currently attempting to replace the line that is leaking, but just a small portion of it. After reading the complaints associated with this vehicle and brake line corrosion, I hope you do something! as thank goodness I am a careful and conscientious driver because if I was going any faster (faster than 35 mph on a 65 mph highway) I would have caused a crash. Suffice to say we had to use relatives cars to travel and then carefully plan the trip home with lots of brake fluid and constant stopping to avoid holiday season traffic. Not a good scenario!

- Westbrook, CT, USA

Oct 272012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Started truck placed foot on brake and pedal went to floor. Brake fluid leaked all over the ground. Had vehicle towed to repair shop. Brake line were totally rusted through. I drive the vehicle approximately once a week. It only has approximately 9700 miles on it. I am the only owner. The under carriage is also rusted. Luckily it happen in my driveway rather than on the road. Can provide a receipt for all new brakelines installed if needed.

- Newton , NJ, USA

Oct 012012

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd. The contact stated whenever he depress the brake it would go all the way to the floorboard. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnose that there was rust on the brake rotors. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified who stated he should take the vehicle back to the dealer for more inspection. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Rogersville, MO, USA

Oct 172012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

I own a 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500. I bought it new and it currently has 37,247 miles on it. The brake lines have severe corrosion. This appears to be a common problem possibly due to inferior parts.

- Cresson, PA, USA

Oct 102012

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the rear brake lines near the fuel take were completely covered with rust causing the vehicle to lose all of the brake fluid. The contact was driving 60 mph at the time of the failure. The brake pedal extended to the floor when the pedal was engaged. The contact had to shift the vehicle into a lower gear and use the emergency brake in order to drive the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer confirmed the brake lines rusted through in the rear. The failure and current mileage was 82,000.

- Redding, CT, USA

Sep 272012

Silverado 2500

Noticed fuel smell after exiting vehicle. Looked under vehicle to see fuel dripping on the ground directly below the fuel cell. Further investigation revealed the fuel lines were severely corroded or rusted to the point of failure. Also noticed the brake lines were also severely rusted. GM has sacrificed safety in place of cheap parts and materials. This is a major defect and a serious matter that needs to be rectified. Someone will die with the brake and fuel line failures.

- Hebron, KY, USA

Aug 012012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Another vehicle pulled out in front of me while I was towing my boat. When I hit the brakes the pedal went to the floor; I narrowly avoided a collision. A rusted brake line had ruptured. When replacing the brake line I discovered that all of the brake lines and fuel lines were severely rusted. We contacted GM; they set up an appointment at a local dealership to examine the truck. The dealer agreed that the lines and much of the chassis were rusted but would not do anything about it. When the truck was still under warranty I had complained to the dealer that the undercoating on the frame was falling off, and there was actually rust under the coating. They said this was not covered by the warranty. I have also had to replace all four brake rotors because they were so rusted they were falling apart. The rear rotors went at only 35000 miles.

- York, PA, USA

Aug 092011

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Driving home down two lane road at 35 mph. Came to curve and slow traffic ahead. Went to apply brakes like normally, they failed. Pedal traveled all the way to floor with little to no stopping effects on vehicle. Vehicle is a 5 spd standard. I was able to down shift and apply park brake to slow vehicle. I was unable to stop completely and had to drive off the road into the road side ditch to avoid a collision with the stopped traffic. Once stopped I got out to check for damage. No cosmetic damage was sustained to the vehicle. I did see brake fluid dripping from under the truck on the driver side. Closer look revealed that the brake line had rust completely in half and bleed the brake system dry. Noticed that the other lines were in similar condition. They all seem to be severely rusted at the point where the brake lines is retained by a green plastic clip on the upper portion of the frame rail. Had vehicle towed home, replaced visible bad lines. Two months later brake section in rear of truck hid by undercoating failed as well. Thankfully was parked when it happened this time. Truck is well maintained and cleaned and waxed seasonally. The under side of this truck is horrible. There in not a place on it that isn't rust. Shouldn't have this from a us made product. I have older vehicles from the 60's that have sat for year and look almost new underneath. Many other people have had the same problems with these vehicles. I just hope that nobody gets hurt or killed because there vehicles rusts out and causes critical safety systems to fail. I also hope that the NHTSA will take the steps necessary to make people aware and help to resolve this issue. Shameful GM owner.

- Chapmanville, WV, USA

Jul 292012

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

Brake pedal went to the floor without stopping the vehicle. Found the lines on the driver side below the door on top of the rail were corroded and had burst.

- Poca, WV, USA

Jul 132012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

The entire brake line system is rusted, as well the drive shafts and U-joints. This truck is well maintained and these rusted parts may cause severe personal damage.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Jul 012012

Silverado 2500

Failure of braking system due to rusted brake lines, all lines need replacement. Upon attempting to stop the vehicle the brake pedal went to the floor, upon exiting the system was leaking brake fluid directly under the driver compartment.

- Wharton, NJ, USA