2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Aug 192016

Silverado 2500

Had to make a sudden stop when a pedestrian walked out in front of the car in front of me. My brake pedal went to the floor and I rear ended the car in front of me. Upon on investigation it was found that one of the front brake lines ruptured due to the high pressure from the emergency stop and the rusted brake line. I have owned this truck since new and there have been no recalls or communications that the brake lines will prematurely corrode and fail. Brake lines are not a normal serviceable part. Apparently, this is typical of this year vehicle from GM. Please recall or notify the public because this is a time bomb waiting to kill people. Brakes are more important than your emphasis on air bags. The brake lines didn't last as long as the engine, transmission, ball joints, shocks, etc which are all serviceable items and expected to be replaced. Please step up to your responsibilities and get the vehicle owners notified and get the vehicles off the road until the brake lines are replaced. My 1941 Chevrolet pickup has original brake lines in better condition than my 2005 Chevrolet pickup. Please recall these vehicles.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Aug 112016

Silverado 2500

Today at approximately 25mph I came to residential stop sign and the brakes went to the floor without and warning. The vehicle went into the cross road without stopping. I was forced to use emergency brake to get vehicle to fully stop. Upon inspection there was alot of brakes fluid in two spots. From drivers side frame rail and above fuel tank. When you look under the frame, the parts all look very clean and new looking. The only exception was that all the brake lines look heavily rusted. I was lucky it was not at high speeds, but from what mechanics tell me, this is getting extremely common. I believe at least owners should be notified to have them inspected. The dealer tells me all the lines need replaced at approximately $1300

- Grove City, OH, USA

Apr 102016

Silverado 2500

Brake lines rusted out prematurely and burst, causing loss of braking ability. Had to replace every brake line on the entire truck, for they were all extremely rusty. 2 months later my fuel line also sprung a leak due to excessive rust, causing fuel to spill, check engine lights, and hard starting. Both of these issues present major safety concerns, and unfortunately are extremely common with these trucks.

- Abingdon, VA, USA

Mar 132016

Silverado 2500

My truck has been babied, only having less than 45,000 miles. Has never been off blacktop, and keep in garage. While towing my boat my breaks went out, come to find out my break line was rusted into and my master cylinder was also rusted where the break lines connect. I was told by chev dealer that all four break lines and master cylinder would have to be replaced. $1,400, this seems impossible for a truck with less than 45,000 miles that was not driven in the rain for the first two years and never been driven on salt treated road. I have another 4 wheel drive truck that I drive in bad weather. This is the only new vehicle I have ever purchased. Very disappointed in break service and Chevy wellness to admit there I is a defect with the break system.

- Harrogate, TN, USA

Feb 112016

Silverado 2500

I have a 2005 Chevrolet 2500 hd with 57000 miles and the brake lines are rusted into. I was getting ready to hook my trailer up and was backing and hit the brakes and they went to the floor. It was pouring fluid out under the door where the brake line was rusted into. This truck has not seen that much salt to have this happen. I hear that GM does not what to recall because they say it is a maintenance issue I beg to differ. I have a 1971 Chevy pickup that has seen years of salt and water and none have ever rusted like this 2005 has. I guess they are waiting to see how many will die before there is a probem.

- Rogersville, MO, USA

Oct 082015

Silverado 2500

The steel fuel lines and steel brake lines are corroding and leaking. On October 8th 2015 my truck begain to leak diesel fuel from the rusted fuel lines. While fixing the fuel leak the technician also notices that the brake lines were also starting to rust and will need to be replaces soon before they fail.

- Portage, MI, USA

Feb 092016

Silverado 2500

The vehicles brakes are corroding and failed almost causing an accident on 2/09/2016 when the vehicle was in motion (at the intersection of il route 34 and wolfs crossing)

- Oswego, IL, USA

Oct 052015

Silverado 2500

Pedal goes on down when pressed -- seems like ABS isn't working properly

- Mcconnelsville, OH, USA

Nov 302015

Silverado 2500

Break lines corroded through to failure. The failure occurred just after exiting a highway. ABS engaged due to icy conditions the next time I depressed the break peddle it went to the floor without the breaks engaging. To the best of my knowledge no warning light was present on the dashboard. The breaks failed while driving and resulted in me running a red light. Luckily it was early in the morning and no accident occurred.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Nov 122015

Silverado 2500

Sitting at burger king drive thru when brake pedal went to the floor. Brake lines had ruptured due to corrosion. Vehicle only 10 years old and 130,000 miles. Had brakes checked often at service centers, no mention of problem. Glad this didn't happen last month when I was barreling down the Tennessee highway with a full load in the back of my truck. NHTSA and GM should be ashamed for allowing this to continue. I am sure people are dying due to this negligence and faulty materials being used.

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 182015

Silverado 2500

Sudden loss of braking power due to brake line rupture while on the exit ramp of the freeway. Found brake lines completely rusted and they were paper thin in multiple spots. Will have to replace all brake lines on the vehicle. Almost lost control of the vehicle. Note that vehicle has always been maintained by dealership.

- Dodgeville, WI, USA

Oct 092015

Silverado 2500

The brake pedal went completely to the floor when our friend tried to stop the vehicle. A brake line running on top of the frame behind the radiator had completely rusted thru, allowing all of the brake fluid to pump out of the system. All of the steel brake lines are extremely rusty and probably near failure.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Aug 052013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. While changing the oil, the contact noticed that the entire frame, upper and lower control arm, brake lines, rear axles, hitch assembling, and rear spare tire carrier assembly were severely corroded. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 15,000.

- Dunstable, MA, USA

Jul 152015

Silverado 2500

These past couple of weeks the brakes are shaking when I go to stop. I have C hanged the front calipers since this is where it is happening since the calipers went bad so did the roters an pads so those needed to be changed also...which is money I don't have.....it worked for a total of 4 days then problem began again. Please inform me of other issues and what can be done to resolve this problem especially since I drive this truck to earn a living for my family everyday.. thank you for your attention to this matter.

- North Branford, CT, USA

Jul 112015

Silverado 2500

Traveling down a hill when a driver in front of me decided to make a left turn rather abruptly, causing me to have to make a panic stop. I pressed the brake and the vehicle started to slow, and then nothing. (brake line burst-ed, which I had been told look rusted during last inspection.) I blew the horn and swerved to left lane and went around that person and then down the left side of the road avoiding several people coming the other direction. I manage to eventually get the truck stopped by constantly pumping the break after having my life flash in front of my eyes from narrowly avoiding multiple accidents.

- Jim Thorpe, PA, USA

Jun 052015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. While driving at approximately 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and traveled to the floorboard. The contact had to take the vehicle out of gear in order to stop. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake lines were corroded as a result the pressure of the brake fluid caused the lines to fracture. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 107,000. The VIN was not available.

- Saint Georges, DE, USA

May 142015

Silverado 2500

Another driver notified us that our brake lights were not working. We stopped to check the situation and my wife applied the brakes as I checked the lights, which were not working. I then moved the truck about 50 yards and as I applied the brakes the pedal went to the floor. When I got out there was a puddle of brake fluid on the ground. The brake line had rusted out and when I applied pressure to stop, it gave out. I took the vehicle to a nearby dealer and they replaced all the brake lines due to the rust. Total cost $1050. This is a major safety issue. Luckily I was stopped when the failure occurred and no one was injured. If this had happened while moving in traffic the result could have been serious.

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Apr 262015

Silverado 2500 6-cyl

Brake line broke. Brake lines are severely corroded. I lost my brakes while driving. The pedal went to the floor.

- Latrobe, PA, USA

Feb 162015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Frame is rotted, wont pass inspection, brake lines are also rotted had to replace twice.

- Chester, NH, USA

Oct 012012

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado. While having regular maintenance performed on the vehicle, the contact was notified that the brake lines were rusted. The brake lines were not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Whiting, NJ, USA