2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Oct 052008

Silverado 2500

Receive an intermittent "service brake system" with ABS & park brake dash light illuminated, and the aural alarm sounds. When this happens the ABS system is made inoperable. The error does not create a dtc code and is not stored on the vehicle computer. An independent shop and the local Chevrolet dealer could not identify the defective part be. Each replaced the speed sensor and ABS computer (2 weeks apart). The independent shop was able to identify the 200 milli-second electrical fault but could not find the source. The independent shop updated the computer firmware. Since the error could not be recorded the dealer could not do anything else and gave up. The problem continues. If it is raining or it is warm spring day the error happens every couple of miles. It appears to be tied to the throttle and does not react to any other vehicle condition. It reacts at constant throttle when the foot is removed or reduced pressure on the throttle pedal.

- Renton, WA, USA

Mar 282009

Silverado 2500

Speedometer on 2005 duramax Chevrolet hd pickup is not working. It is jumping up and down, and is not going past 50 mph.

- Schulenburg, TX, USA

Jan 122009

Silverado 2500

I purchased a "new" 2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 utility bed work truck...the dealership ripped me off with the trade in;refused to apply the cash back and down payment assistance GM was offering-and when I got the truck home, saw the inside of toolboxes were rusted...the heater blew, the airconditioning quit working, stereo/cd player quit, as well...the dealer refused to fix the rust;destroyed the pics and service report regarding the trust. The oil cap blows off...it's been replaced several times- and in Jan 2009, truck kept overheating & brake lights went out...dealer could not find source of engine leak;and failed to fix brake lights, .they state it's not their problem. The truck has 33,000 miles on it-I even purchased an extended warranty-but no one can or will fix it.filed 2nd complaint with GM-they state the service department never documented the engine leak/overheating/brake problem !I took the truck back to dealer day after signed the contract-tried to get it resolved-they hid from me!!!!and sent my trade in to auction...they also failed to inform me of my 3 day right to rescind'so I canceled the loan on Jan.2009-under the tila law. They are refusing to acknowledge my rights as a consumer;I will not pay 23,000 for a truck that is inoperable...help!

- Cheswold, DE, USA

Mar 222009

Silverado 2500

On January 23, 2009, the #7 injector harness shorted and had to be replaced. On March 21, 2009, the ses light came on and the truck sounded different running, but did not lose power. Diagnostics showed problems with the fuel injector module. On March 22, 2009, the ses light came on and the truck started running rough and lost engine power (just like it did on January 23). The truck had to be towed to the Chevrolet dealership again. This time the #2 fuel injector harness had shorted and had to be replaced. With both incidents, the fuel injector harnesses were replaced with a new harness that has a 90 degree plug and longer wires. This is not covered by warranty and costs $400+ to replace each one. Within 2 months and 2500 miles both the #2 and #7 fuel injector harnesses have shorted and had to be replaced.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Dec 142008

Bad speedometer. Sticks.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Mar 202008

Silverado 2500

I own a 2005 Chevy 2500 Silverado ext. Cab 4X4 since new. Last year in late March the wiring plug and resistor for the heater/ac blower motor shorted out, caught fire and melted right at the resistor. This is located on the passenger side of the pickup, under the dash, visible from below. The same thing, only not as severe this time, (I caught it early) just happened again. This time I took the pickup to the dealer to have them look at it and fix it. They replaced the resistor and semi-melted plug, the same fix I did myself the first time. They had no explanation for why this happened. With minimal searching on the internet, I found numerous occasions of the same thing happening to other Chevy pickup owners. When these resistors fail, there is great potential for fire, personal injury. I burned my fingers pretty bad the first time.

- Billings, MT, USA

Jan 232009

Silverado 2500

When I was driving down interstate the truck (2005 2500 hd diesel) suddenly started running rough and lost engine power. The ses light came on. I pulled to the shoulder and turned the truck off. When I restarted the truck the ses light stayed on, but the truck would run. It went about 2 more miles and did the same thing again. It had to be towed to the Chevrolet dealership. The #7 injector harness had shorted and had to be replaced.

- Vicksburg, MS, USA

Feb 052009

Silverado 2500

Speedometer faulty incorrect at times to fast and to slow other times, one time it showed 120+ while cars were passing me on the freeway 0 or slower at 65 (staying with traffic?) never knew the speed I was going had have the instrument panel replaced at a cost over $600 at 43000 miles on truck 05 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd duramax.

- Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Sep 152008

Silverado 2500

We have a 2005 Chevy Silverado and the speedometer stopped working 3 months ago, mileage approx. 60,000 miles. We contacted dealer and was told we would have to pay to have it fixed since there was no recall. Now I get on line and read lots of complaints. Needless to say the way the economy is we don't have the money ourselves to pay for the repair, so now we drive it and hope we are going speed limit or under. I think that GM should repair this problem since there are alot of people having the same problem. What kind of company will ask us to help them with bailouts but won't fix the problems their vehicles have?

- Mcewen, TN, USA

Dec 212008

Silverado 2500

Speedometer worked intermittently for past year and now has quit completely. It registers 120+. GM is replacing speedometers with this problem up to 70-80K miles I have 92,000 and have been told it is not covered, after searching the internet it seems that there is a class action lawsuit and multiple incidents of 2003-2005 GM vehicles with this problem.

- Conway, AR, USA

Jan 062009

Silverado 2500

In my 2005 Chevrolet Silverado the speedometer needle is starting to stick.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Nov 242008

Speedometer failure.

- Lockport, IL, USA

Dec 222008

Silverado 2500

My speedometer reads about 20 mph faster than I'm actually driving, and reads 20 -25 mph when at a dead stop. I know this was a warranty fixable item on the 03 and 04 models, why not on the 05's?

- St Johns, AZ, USA

Oct 242008

Silverado 2500

Speedometer will only go up and not down. It sticks upon shutdown, and will go down if I restart the vehicle 20 times before I leave.

- Hooksett, NH, USA

Oct 082008

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact used the lighter installed in the vehicle to light a cigarette. Minutes later, he noticed blue smoke emanating from the instrument control cluster. Upon further inspection, he noticed that the wiring in the fuse box melted. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and they stated that the wiring harness and fuse box needed to be replaced at the cost of over $2,500. The vehicle has not been repaired. He is in the process of notifying the manufacturer. The failure and current mileages were 64,000.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jul 032008

Silverado 2500

Air conditioning blower resistor and harness burned wires at 14,000 miles and was replaced by authorized Chevy mechanic. Replaced harness and resistor caught fire a 65,000 miles.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Jul 252006

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Vehicle will quit running and will or will not restart. Sometimes after 15 minutes it will. Quits running at any speed and at red lights.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jul 032006

Silverado 2500 6-cyl

While driving down the interstate at 70 mph, the engine suddenly stalled, resulting in the engine to quit. Since our truck has a standard transmission, the driver simply "popped" the clutch and the engine started. About 10 miles later, the engine stalled several more times causing the engine to quit again forcing us to pull to the shoulder. We checked the battery cables, but the engine would not turn over. After a few minutes the engine started, but continued to stall. While in neutral, the RPM's were jumping over 3000 then falling below 500. At the same time, the battery gage was reading nearly nothing. No warning or check engine lights ever appeared. Since we were in another state 500 miles from home, our only choice was to continue until we could find a GM mechanic. The engine continued to stall and misfire for another 60 miles. Since we were a mere 702 miles over our factory warranty, the dealership told us we would have to schedule an appointment, and the next opening would be in 8 days. Instead, we were able to find a local mechanic shop, and in a matter of minutes the mechanic found the cause of the stalling to be a wire that plugs into the coil pack. He called the GM dealership for a replacement, and was told it would have to be ordered from the manufacturer and it would take a week or more to arrive. The mechanic told us the factory wire was not necessary, he could simply splice into the wire to fix our problem. Since staying an additional week was not an option, we agreed to have the mechanic fix the wire by splicing it. We began to experience similar stalling 10,000 miles later. There are 2 wires that enter the same clip then plugs into the coil. The cause of stalling the second time was the wire opposite of the one replaced before. This leads me to believe that there may be a defect in the coil itself, or merely low-quality wires installed by GM.

- Dexter , KS, USA

Sep 082006

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

: the contact stated after parking the vehicle in the carport for two hours, it caught on fire without warning. The fire department was called and the fire was extinguished. There was property damage to the house and the vehicle was totaled. A report was taken with the fire department. The dealer was notified.

- Monroeville, AL, USA

Jun 302006

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

After entering vehicle which had been parked for 2 weeks a heavy brunt electrical fire order was present. At the same time a heavy smoke like haze was present. Upon through exam the fire wall blanket in the engine compartment was found melted in a roundish pattern. One month latter there is still a burning odor in the cab.

- Wolftown, VA, USA