2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 7)

Nov 092013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Complete brake failure due to brake line defect / leak. Repair estimate from dealership $2800+.

- New Hartford, CT, USA

Sep 172013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

My truck has a serious rust problem. I was driving from Pennsylvania to buffalo when my brake line snapped "spewing brake fluid all over"on the highway while driving at 65mph. At the dealer I was showed that not only where my brake lines rotted but everything involving the brakes "calipers, rotors, pads " fuel lines, frame control arms, everything under the truck, which was bought new. The brake pads, calipers & rotors were replaced by my mechanic at 25,000 with parts bought by GM. My truck is in excellent shape from what you can see & is garage kept.from what I see this is a common problem with GM trucks from 2000-2012.

- Milford, PA, USA

Oct 112013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was going back to my job location after leaving a training class. Applied brakes as I approached a stop sign. Brake pedal had no resistance and went to the floor. Luckily, I was on school district property so the speed limit was 15. Was able to get to my local mechanic who found a ruptured brake line. He also informed me that all brake lines were rusted and while he could not say another one will rupture tomorrow, he felt to be safe they should all be replaced. We tow a camper with this truck and while I know the camper's brakes will stop the truck, some of the campground we visit are mountain campgrounds with steep grades and when we leave the campground to do something (example: Go out to eat), not knowing if the truck brakes will work is not very comforting.

- Middletown, PA, USA

Oct 052013

Silverado 2500

Upon driving home on my street my brake pedal went to the floor. Have break line corroded and leaking below driver side door. Was able to stop safely as I was on a residential road with a low speed limit.

- Allenstown, NH, USA

Sep 302013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While driving at 10 mph the rear brakes failed. Upon investigation it was found that the rear brake line had rusted out at the connection to the splitter located on frame above the rear axle.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Sep 102013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Every brake gas and cooling line rusted. I have looked at other vehicles of same year and miles different makes. No where as rusted as my 06 Silverado.

- Johnston, RI, USA

May 162012

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Driving home from store only to have a vehicle stop short in front of me. Applied brakes and to my surprise the pedal went to the floor. Luckily I had room to maneuver around traffic and avoid an accident. Vehicle was towed to repair shop and I was told left front break line rusted out. I purchased this vehicle new and I can attest that no unusual circumstances occurred to warrant brake line rusting out. Moving forward 16 months I was leaving the house only to have brakes go to the floor. Vehicle towed to Chevy dealer. Dealer tells me all brake lines rusted badly (except one previously replaced) and in need of replacement to the tune of $2700. Good thing I was not driving or worse yet pulling my 8000 pound camper. Is it going to take some one getting killed before Chevy is made to admit they have a serious safety issue with these brake lines.

- Micco, FL, USA

Sep 192013

Silverado 2500 6-cyl

Returning home, I approached a 4-way stop at about 40 mph. Attempted to stop, only limited brakes. Gearing down and defensive driving necessary to avoid accident at intersection. Able to complete short distance home where I inspected brakes and uncovered rusted and leaking break lines. Vehicle with less than 90,000 miles. Extremely dangerous and GM/NHTSA should be ashamed that a recall has not been initiated. Only a matter of time before someone is not as lucky as me and other complainants.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Sep 182013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

While driving I went to stop at intersection and the brake pedal went to the floor, and I used parking brake to stop.I got out and there was brake fluid all over, I carefully drove home,1/2 mile and checked out truck and the brake lines were all rusted and leaking. I tried to fix with new parts but after fixing it would leak in another spot. I have to replace all brake lines to be safe. I think that GM should have to have a recall on these brake lines. Thanks

- Pine Bush, NY, USA

Sep 122013

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that while driving, the brakes failed to stop in a timely manner. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 21,000.

- Campell Hall , NY, USA

Sep 092013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

All front brake lines below the drivers seat rusted through. A complete loss of brakes was experienced.

- Long Beach, MS, USA

Sep 072013

Silverado 2500

My wife was driving my truck a 2006 Silverado and said the brake light came on so I filled it up didn't think much of it did a quick look didn't see anything 2 weeks later she said it was on again so I filled it up again and this time did a thorough inspection checked the master cylinder, booster started checked each caliper and nothing so I got under the truck and its leaking from the middle of the truck under the drivers seat the brake lines are all rusty. I do all of my work on my cars but this looks ridiculous where do you start rip them all out and replace all" they are on top of the frame rail which look impossible to get to it looks like its going to be a lot of money is there a recall for this" I hope some can help me out the truck is very clean especially underneath that's the only thing rusted out of everything.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

Aug 112013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

We had just gotten to the bottom of a hill when we applied the brakes the pedal felt normal then instantly it went to the floor. We attempted to pump the brakes but the pedal was completely to the floor. When we finally were able to stop we jumped out and saw brake fluid puddle on the ground and all underneath the cab of the truck. After the fluid was gone there was absolutely no brakes to even panic stop. There is also extensive rust under the truck even though undercoating was applied in the factory.

- Alexandria , KY, USA

Jul 152013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Coming up to traffic signal and brake pedal went to the floor. Brake line rusted out. Stopped by slamming it into 1st gear and using the parking brake. Very dangerous!

- Fallston, MD, USA

Jul 202013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Towing trailer, while parking trailer, brake pedal got spongy, then went to floor, total brake loss. Rusted brake line ruptured under drivers seat by ABS module, all brake lines will need replacement.

- Ellenville, NY, USA

Jun 222013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Brake line has completely deteriorated and leaking and should be recalled. Recently had to replace wheel speed sensors as well.

- Lucasville, OH, USA

May 302013

Silverado 2500

Pulling truck out of garage the brake pedal went to the floor. Upon examination the brake line had blown a hole thru the rusted brake lines. All of the brake lines that are not coated are rusted and integrity of the metal is poor. Had to have all brake lines replaced for a sum of $900..

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Mar 282013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Vehicle was taken to have 4 new tires installed. As part of this process the vehicle was lifted off the ground and the steering components and suspension system was checked for wear. As this process was taking place one of the mechanics noticed the rusted brake lines and called me over to show how bad the lines were rusted.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Mar 192013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

Vehicle under carriage looks more like a 30 year old vehicle. Brakes lines have failed causing extended stopping distance or swerving off road to avoid collision. Oil cooler lined ruptured and leaked oil on exhaust manifold, a potential fire hazard, especially when all the exhaust manifolds rotted as well so hot exhaust gases are not directed out the exhaust, also a concern for poisoning occupants with toxic exhaust gases. Power steering fittings rotted causing loss of steering. GM is useless, when I contacted them they said it is the environment. I asked them why a Toyota and Acura, both 8 years older showed no such failures or even signs of rust on critical components. GM responded that they couldn't answer that question. Hmmm, I wonder why. In 39 years of driving, it is the most I ever paid for a vehicle, 48,000 dollars, and the manufacturer refuses any assistance. That's the thanks for bailing them out. It has also had wires to blower motor burn, rear brake rotors rotted away at 22,000 miles, ground wires under hood have rotted and fallen of... more potential hazards, A/C compressor seized a came apart. I could go on and on. There needs to be a serious investigation into GM and.the poor quality and lack of concern for the safety of the public. It is by far the worst vehicle I have owned, ever.

- Tyngsboro, MA, USA

Mar 172013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The vehicle was parked and I entered it to start it. When I applied my foot to the brake pedal I heard a loud pop (like a balloon popping) and a recoil in the brake pedal. Come to find out, the diaphragm in the brake booster broke thus leaving me with very little brakes. I am just glad I was the one behind the wheel and the vehicle was in park. I can only imagine if this had happened while driving through town. Or if someone like my 18 year old son had been driving. After speaking with multiple mechanics, it was brought to my attention that this is one of those things that "never happens"...especially on a 2006 with only 63K miles on it. When I called Chevrolet they told me that it would be noted but they could not help cover the cost of repair as it was not under warranty. Although I do know it's out of warranty, I thought they might cover it as it is not a wear and tear issue...it is a mechanical defect and a major safety issue. It has been repaired and I'm just hoping it does not occur again. Unfortunately there is absolutely no way at all to predict if and when this will ever occur on any other vehicle. I just hope it doesn't happen to mine again.

- Rock Falls, IL, USA