2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500:

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Owner Comments

Mar 142016

Silverado 2500

I have a 2008 Silverado 2500hd with 48,000 miles on it and just noticed two cracks have formed above the passenger airbag. Even though the warranty has expired I feel this is a manufacturing defect and should be replaced by Chevrolet at no charge. The vehicle has always been stored sun protected except when traveling. At that time a dash screen is used for sun protection. I contacted the Chevrolet customer assistance center immediately and they had me take my vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer for examination. I had my vehicle examined at the Chevrolet dealership on March 21, 2016. They examined the vehicle, took photos and told me they would get back to me with the decision. They did so later that day but the decision was to replace the dash which would be $1000 of which GM would be willing to pick up half, so my out of pocket expense would be $500. I refused this offer and told the dealer I would be contacting the Chevrolet customer assistance center to dispute me having to pay $500 out of pocket expense to correct a manufacturers defect. I contacted the Chevrolet customer assistance center immediately via phone and asked that the issue be elevated to the appropriate person. I provided the representative all the information she requested from me and she assured me that she would elevate the issue to the senior manager in my area and they would get back to me within 48 hours with a decision. As of this writing I have not heard back from anyone. This is a safety issue. If the airbag on he passengers side were to deploy it would sent plastic shrapnel into the driver causing severe injury. I know this to be a fact because I worked on airbag technology back in the 80's and saw videos of what occurs upon airbag deployment when particles are sent flying. Think of a straw being driven into a tree during a tornado. Same principle.

- Lake Wylie, SC, USA

Jan 152016

Silverado 2500

"takata recall " received recall notice several months ago and still no fix. 2 speakers all failed with in six years, 3 window switches all stopped working have pictures available, all quit while driving on a cold night with my 4 yr old in the back seat. Had to pull over and remove switch to short out and get window back up. 4 bed mounting rails and bed side all have rust. So not only did it rot out prematurely but the dealership that covered up the problem entered an accident on the car fax for the bull crap repair they did on my vehicle. Dealership is barlow located in manahawkin

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Dec 122015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the dashboard was fractured on the drivers and the passengers side where the air bag was located. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 98,000. The VIN was not available......updated 04/15/16

- Griffin, GA, USA

Jul 302015

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. While at a stop light, another vehicle traveling approximately 50 mph crashed into the rear of the contact's vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The dashboard was cracked approximately two to three inches in length. A police report was filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V324000 (air bags). The failure mileage was 125,000.

- Baytown, TX, USA

Mar 162015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Sunroof has now leaked on me 3 times. Each time I have had to remove the entire inside headliner to get to the sunroof.. hasn't leaked since the 3rd repair but I try and stay away from eh water and rain. Sad I feel bad about driving in the rain...

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Mar 162015

Silverado 2500

Entire frame of the truck is rusting away. Some areas is surface rust after the undercoating has just slow peaked away. There is some areas that the rust is so bad I am worried that it will soon or later give and break. I have looked into this online and there is thousands and thousands of complaints out there but GM is not doing anything about this issue.. I finally got a notice after 7 years of complaining about my transmission lines leaking at the crimp.. this is a very well know issue on many of the GM vehicles and has caused many accidents in the past. I would like to seen GM forced to pressed to do something about this because it is a safety factor that could cause a bad accident.

- Havre De Grace, MD, USA

Feb 252015

Silverado 2500 4WD 8-cyl

Engine trouble light appears and service airbag message appears, both. Passenger side windows would not operate. Burning odors appear inside the cabin. The G.M. dealership located the wiring harness had caught fire and melted part of the carpet on the front drivers side kick plate. $2,400 to replace the harness and carpet. What's going to prevent this from happening again?

- Williston Park, NY, USA

Jan 072015

Silverado 2500

I was on my way home from work after working a very long day and I fell asleep at the wheel and went off the side of 225. All I remember was waking up in between trees about two feet away from sims bayou. My vehicle was totaled. No air bags deployed.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Sep 282011

Silverado 2500

My dash has several cracks in it around the passenger air bag. I am concerned that if the air bag is deployed that the defected dash will become sharp projectiles and cause undue injury to me or my passenger. I have seen many others with same problem and it is a safety concern to me.

- Mchenry, MS, USA

Apr 112014

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

I was driving on a state highway and experienced a blowout from one of my hankook tires model dynapro as tires. Severe body damage all along the left side of my truck was the result of this accident, as I was pulled into a concrete median barrier.

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

Jan 152013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado. The contact stated that the front driver's side door handle fractured. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the door panel would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Sebewaing, MI, USA

Jan 192013

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Chrome plating/paint on interior door handle lacerated left hand.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Apr 152012

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. While parked, the contact attempted to open the front driver side door but to no avail. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised that the front driver side door actuator would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. After the repair, the rear driver side door would not open. The vehicle was taken to the dealer a second time. The technician advised that the rear driver side door actuator would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Loleta, CA, USA

Feb 232012

Silverado 2500 8-cyl Diesel

Bought 2500 hd crew cab Silverado, 2008. Researched known problems online with door actuators. Apparently they begin to fail with less than 5000 miles on certain trucks. I see this as a safety hazard and a security problem. In case of a crash the locks on the rear doors will not work and must be unlocked manually which may be impossible depending on the damage, the manual locks are on the farthest point back from the driver which makes them very hard to reach from the front of the truck. They also do not lock when the key fob or electric lock button is pushed in the truck, must be locked manually. This problem is extremely well known and GM refuses to recall this item even though it is a clear safety risk. If I have a fire or an accident I would not be able to get my daughter out of the back of the truck and GM would be getting one hell of a lawsuit. Likewise if anything gets stolen out of my truck due to the locks not working I will also be starting a lawsuit against GM. Every manufacturer wants to get ever penny they can out of people without taking responsibility for hiring the lowest bidder for crucial parts on their vehicles and then refuses to stand behind them. Some people I have talked to have replaced these door actuators 4+ times all the way around their vehicle. Unacceptable.

- West Frankfort, IL, USA

Sep 012010

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 hd. The contact stated that the electronic door system failed. The doors should have been locked when the vehicle was shifted into drive and unlock when shifted into park. The contact stated that the doors could only be opened manually. The dealer advised the contact that the door actuators possibly needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Hammonton , NJ, USA

Oct 162010

Silverado 2500

2008 Chevrolet Silverado having electrical problems. Door locks cycling, A/C not working intermittent, alt gauge fluctuating, fuel gauge fluctuating, engine stall, ABS & tcs lights blinking. I reported the problem to my dealer and the kept it for a week. They ended up replacing the 175 amp megafuse and battery cables. I got back and have driven it for a week and everything seems to be working properly except the alt gauge. I intend on calling them back next week so I can drive it a little longer to see if any of the other issues persist.

- Calhoun, TN, USA

Feb 212009

Silverado 2500

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500. The contact stated that when the rear bumper is struck off center, the bumper will be pushed into the center box of the three piece bumper. The failure has occurred several times on the rear driver's side. The contact will have to take the vehicle to a body shop for repair. The manufacturer has not yet been notified. The failure mileage was 1,200.

- Center City, MN, USA