2003 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 3500:

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Owner Comments

Nov 282005

Silverado 3500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

Speedometer started sticking and gradually got worse, now the speedometer is stuck. I called the dealer and they said they just send them off to a speedometer repair shop all the time. I called some speedometer repair shops and they said that the problem I am having was quite common for the 2003 Chevy truck.

- Newalla, OK, USA

Feb 232005

Silverado 3500 4WD 8-cyl

2003 Chevrolet Silverado experiencing problems with the gas gauge and the speedometer. The speedometer needle became stuck and would not return to zero. The dealer replaced the cluster. The gas gauge was inaccurate which caused the vehicle to run out of gas. The gauge indicated that there was 1/4 tank of fuel remaining. The dealer replaced the fuel module assembly.

- Dallas, GA, USA

Apr 012004

Silverado 3500 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

2003 chevey 2500 hd crew cab duramax. The speedometer sticks and will not return to 0. when the temperature is really cold, all of the gauges stop working. No accidents, and no consequences except for the cost of repair. I have spoken to service shops in Canada and here in minneapolis, and both say it is a fairly frequent problem. In fact, GMC has opened a shop in California which deals only with the instrument cluster. Why is this problem not fixed my GMC, if it a problem they know exists.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Oct 152003

Silverado 3500

Constant wind noise from hood hinge flaps and top windshield seal at 50 and above. Also driver door seal squeals. I repaired the flapping noises myself after the dealer tried 6 times and said it was my bug deflector. The door seal was replaced after 6 trips and is worse now than then. I repaired this as well as I could. They replaced 1 of 3 seals. After 6 visits for my Goodyear tires (nothing found wrong again) they decide to replace them. It took 2 weeks to get tires and then they replaced 2. the trans is clunker and has computer software issues causing shifting problems and dealer can not duplicate. The computer thinks it is ok so no codes will be stored. I also pointed out the GM tsb's to them on this problem. I may as well go to the zoo for service at least I get to expect poor service from wild animals. I wrote the vp of GM and he responded to me and forwarded my letter to vp of sales and service. Went back for repairs and still have same problems and the new tires with 1000 miles are bad just like the others. $38,000 piece of junk with $3 hr monkeys repairing it. What a joke, they can have this truck back since there is nothing wrong with it. I was also refused service two times by my local dealer because I bought it else where. Service manager said: "you are not our loyal customer and if we decide to service you, you go behind our loyal customers, reguardless of order". I think he may be looking for other employment now that the vp called me to discuss my concerns, but that is still against the law and the GM contract. Think I am going to just get a horse and when it stops working just shoot it.

- Covington, GA, USA

Mar 072004

Silverado 3500 4WD 8-cyl

I have a 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1/2 ton pickup with 29000 miles on it when the rear brake calipers froze up and ruined my rear brake pads. Chevy says that this is not under warranty because of poor maintenance on my part. I did everything required in the owners manual. I have talked with three of my friends who have the same pickup and their rear brakes failed at lower mileages and were covered and the dealer also installed a special brake dirt cover to the rear brakes to help with the problem. I contend that this is a design defect in the rear disc brakes and can expect to replace my rear brakes in another 18000 T0 24000 miles. Would you look into this matter for me.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Apr 302003

Silverado 3500

The blue indicator light for high beams was on. The light was very bright. The consumer almost ran off the road as a result. The dealer told the consumer to put a piece of tape over the indicator light.

- N. Bend, OR, USA

Jan 312003

Silverado 3500 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle fire-shut truck off and was going into my home when I heard a pop noise turned and looked and the engine compartment of my 2003 Chevrolet Silverado was smoking and flames were shooting out from under the hood.truck was totally engulfed in flames with in minutes.

- West Brookfield, MA, USA